Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 12:19 AM

12 posts, read 16,521 times

Advertisements

I know the economy is bad overall, but I think we're a little better off here in Louisiana. I'm making a huge roa trip and plan on looking for jobs along the way. I am an electrician with industrial background. I'm looking for areas I should focus on or avoid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2012, 02:29 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,246,274 times
Take a look at Oregon. There may be jobs with your background around Eugene, but Job First, then move.

Old 06-24-2012, 01:55 PM

8 posts, read 8,807 times
My husband and I are shopping for a nice retirement town. He is really into fly fishing. I just want mountains as we currently live in the desert southwest. Translation: No rain. Nothing grows. HOT! We don't want temperature extremes and husband doesn't like a lot of snow. Personally, I love snow but haven't seen a lot of it in my life so that's probably why I'm more tolerant of it. Husband transplanted to NM from southeast Kansas so he has had more than his share of white stuff. I plan on retiring in 4 years from the mining industry, which is what my husband retired from 5 years ago. We don't need a lot of 'city life'. We like a small town and have a lot to offer. We are both very civic minded and supportive of any community where we may land. I know it sounds like I'm chasing a pipe dream, but I'm hoping we can find a small town in the mountains that we can call home. Currently planning on a early September road trip to look around. Any suggestions?

Old 06-24-2012, 02:05 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,128,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eveningstar05 View Post
My husband and I are shopping for a nice retirement town. He is really into fly fishing. I just want mountains as we currently live in the desert southwest. Translation: No rain. Nothing grows. HOT! We don't want temperature extremes and husband doesn't like a lot of snow. Personally, I love snow but haven't seen a lot of it in my life so that's probably why I'm more tolerant of it. Husband transplanted to NM from southeast Kansas so he has had more than his share of white stuff. I plan on retiring in 4 years from the mining industry, which is what my husband retired from 5 years ago. We don't need a lot of 'city life'. We like a small town and have a lot to offer. We are both very civic minded and supportive of any community where we may land. I know it sounds like I'm chasing a pipe dream, but I'm hoping we can find a small town in the mountains that we can call home. Currently planning on a early September road trip to look around. Any suggestions?
You posted this in the Eugene relocation forum. Are you looking at Eugene, or Oregon in general?

Old 06-27-2012, 05:46 PM

To be honest, I was kinda' looking at Oakridge. I know the town is struggling right now with several issues but there's just something about Oakridge that I find appealing. I've followed the news reports, as much as possible, dealing with the city council but I feel the community is strong enough to get through this. Climate wise, it seems perfect so this is why we are planning a road trip. We want to see for ourselves is this is where we may want to call 'home'. If it doesn't work out, we will look elsewhere in Oregon. I've watched some videos of and about Oakridge and some are absolutely beautiful but others paint a pretty bleak picture in regard to the future of the community. All I know is it's 108 here today and no rain in the forecast for at least more than a week. We definitely want somewhere in or very near the mountains though and husband absolutely HATES big cities. He came from a town of a whole 240 good folk so the small town is naturally very appealing to him. It's odd though. As much as he hates big cities, he doesn't like being too far away from them and the convenience of necessary shopping. That brings up a question I have. Our local social hot spot, a.k.a. Walmart, is, imo, one of those necessary evils. I was told that in Oregon, the Walmarts are limited to groceries only rather than the 'all-in-one' hubs that we're used to. Is this true?

Old 06-27-2012, 06:28 PM

5,393 posts, read 8,074,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eveningstar05 View Post
........ I was told that in Oregon, the Walmarts are limited to groceries only rather than the 'all-in-one' hubs that we're used to. Is this true?
Not true. 14 Supercenters in Oregon: Walmart Supercenter locations in Oregon and Washington

Old 06-28-2012, 11:34 PM

Thanks for all the info!! My son lives in McMinnville and said exactly what you did, karlsch. He also mentioned a Bi-Mart. Never heard of this chain but looking forward to checking out Oregon in general. We know we want to stay in the west central area so this info is absolutely helpful.

Old 07-01-2012, 11:20 PM

10,987 posts, read 20,452,750 times
If you are in the industry you probably know you may need to obtain an Oregon electrician's licence.

Old 07-02-2012, 11:25 PM

6,066 posts, read 14,988,034 times
We've also got Freddie's (Fred Meyer), Target, ShopKo, CostCo... so we're not exactly an "all-in-one hotspots" desert. Plus - you have the internet... amazon.com...

Old 07-03-2012, 12:44 AM

231 posts, read 775,941 times
Oakridge is a very...uhhh..."Oregon native" type of place. When viewed from one angle, they are a hardy, woodsy type of people. From the other angle, it's not so positive sounding. Very very veeerrryyy different from the liberals in Eugene. You'd better be sure about how you would fit in there before considering moving there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area