U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2012, 05:10 PM

12 posts, read 17,031 times

Advertisements

What can you tell me about this town? We are moving to Eugene, and were interested in this area. We have small children and two dogs. Pros and Cons?
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2012, 06:23 PM

8,001 posts, read 14,354,231 times
Houses are hard to come by. Even with the destruction of the financial base when the RV Industry moved back to South Bend.

Old 08-28-2012, 11:45 PM

6,011 posts, read 13,079,596 times
Depends on your financial situation. If you are comfortable and can spend $400+ on a home with some land, you'll probably love it. You won't find much for anything less out there. The $200'ish range homes are generally older, no a/c, small lots, very close to neighbors, and what I call "in-town". Coburg is very very tiny, so "in-town" is kind of, at least imo, not very desirable. Traffic noise, retail shops, a weird mix of cute homes and run-down homes. I mean it's a cute town for the most part, but I wouldn't want to live "in-town". The northern outer part of Coburg has really nice homes on more land. I really love that part, and know some families who live out there and they are really happy. But they all paid over $400K for what they have. You'll understand when you get here and drive through the town yourself.

How old are the kids? I would consider schools first, then find a nice area within the school area you want to be in. Even though Eugene has "open enrollment", it's based on space. If a school is full, they will not accept students from outside their area and your kids will have to go to your neighborhood school. And the better schools are currently full (last I checked, which was last fall...)

Old 09-02-2012, 01:17 PM

12 posts, read 17,031 times
Haggardhouseelf,

Thank you for the input. In your opinion, what are the best schools in Eugene and why? What are good, strong community, family neighborhoods? Moderator cut: snip
Thanks!

Last edited by Kimballette; 09-02-2012 at 01:25 PM.. Reason: You already started a thread on this topic.

Old 09-07-2012, 05:19 PM

9,973 posts, read 16,572,467 times
If you are looking to live around Coburg don't live down-wind of the dairy on N Coburg Road.

Old 09-10-2012, 07:48 PM

6,011 posts, read 13,079,596 times
The schools vary so much that it really depends on what your kids are interested in and the sort of lifestyle you and your family pursue. If you can share with us what your kids interests are, it might help narrow down what schools might be best suited for them. For example - if they are really into sports and want to play football or basketball in high school, I'd recommend Sheldon High School. If they are interested in learning another language and exploring other cultures, one of the language immersion schools would definitely be something you might want to check out, as well as the IHS high school (if you do IHS, I'd opt for the South Eugene campus). If they are interested in engineering or robotics or something more IT-related as a possible career - Churchill High School is your best bet. (These are just a few examples.) So, it really just depends on what your kids are into.

Our experience is that it is not so much "good school"/"bad school"... so much as the school being a good fit with the student and their family, and also the willingness for both the parent and child to be involved. The more involved you are in your child's school, the more they will get out of their school experience. This is just something I have learned over time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area