Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 09:42 PM

10,987 posts, read 20,458,386 times

Advertisements

I hadn't noticed that you are French. I don't think you will encounter the cultural issues I alluded to. My frame of reference was that of an human resources professional in an global company helping xpats and international interns find their niche. Most of the international hires in technology are from Asia.

My family is from Eugene, I graduated from the U of Oregon in Eugene and I still have family there but ... I am in my 70s and now living in Portland. Unfortunately I can't help you network.. they are either much too old or are grandchildren just getting started themselves.

Now that you have an offer in hand ask your HR representative for suggestions. He or she may be able to point you to resources that other international hires have used. Again, take a look at airbnb and Craigslist.

Welcome to the US, Eugene Oregon in particular.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2012, 01:10 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,567,692 times
The Eugene daily newspaper is online. You can check the classified ads for rentals and car sales, and the news for crime reports if you are concerned. You will find Eugene police to be honest, professional and friendly.

Breaking local news, news updates, sports, business and weather | Eugene, Oregon | Springfield, Oregon | The Register-Guard

$70k/year is an excellent wage. If you live humbly, you should be able to get by on half of that. If you budget carefully you should be able to live comfortably and build a nice savings account. Returns on savings in the USA are horrible right now, so you may want to keep excess money in your home country. Keep enough savings in the US for emergencies.

Your car will be your most awkward expense, since Americans usually spread the cost over several years. If you plan on moving to the US permanently, you might buy a pretty good used car - new cars are a much lower value and are very expensive. If your visit is only for a year, you might consider a lower cost used car, or talk to dealers about a one year lease of a used car, not a new car.

Old 11-02-2012, 03:20 PM

I agree, we are a car oriented society.

If he will be working at Symantec on International Way he will, for all practical purposes, need a car. On the other hand if he is working around the U of O campus or in downtown Eugene using a bike for work and renting a car when necessary is a practical option. If he is working for the U WeCar.com would be an option. Again, he should ask his HR representative what transportation options to his workplace are available while he is settling in.

Shortly after arriving the OP will need to open an account with a bank or credit union near his workplace or residence. Credit unions usually offer excellent value. First Tech Credit Union has several branches in Eugene and they have a wide range of services including car loans and insurance. If you will be renting a car be sure your car insurance has a rental car rider, much cheaper than what the car rental company sells.

Don't rent a car long term at the Portland Airport or in Portland. There is an additional tax assessed. The same car rental company may charge different amounts in each city. Husband and I had our car die during our vacation and needed to rent a car. Mid-trip we turned it in then checked it out again at a cheaper city. The car rental office was happy not to have to clean the car and we were happy not to move our stuff. We found the best car rental rate through Costco's travel site.

Old 11-03-2012, 07:07 AM

27 posts, read 70,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
The Eugene daily newspaper is online. You can check the classified ads for rentals and car sales, and the news for crime reports if you are concerned. You will find Eugene police to be honest, professional and friendly.

Breaking local news, news updates, sports, business and weather | Eugene, Oregon | Springfield, Oregon | The Register-Guard

$70k/year is an excellent wage. If you live humbly, you should be able to get by on half of that. If you budget carefully you should be able to live comfortably and build a nice savings account. Returns on savings in the USA are horrible right now, so you may want to keep excess money in your home country. Keep enough savings in the US for emergencies.

Your car will be your most awkward expense, since Americans usually spread the cost over several years. If you plan on moving to the US permanently, you might buy a pretty good used car - new cars are a much lower value and are very expensive. If your visit is only for a year, you might consider a lower cost used car, or talk to dealers about a one year lease of a used car, not a new car.
Thx Larry -> Yes I think you are right, the best will be to live crefully in the beginning and save the maximum of money to be safe.

For the car I am not sure I will buy one, it will depends in when I find an apartment. The company is inside the UO campus. I can probably rent a place close to the campus the 1st year and use only a bike or bus. So I can save more money I guess

Old 11-03-2012, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
I agree, we are a car oriented society.

If he will be working at Symantec on International Way he will, for all practical purposes, need a car. On the other hand if he is working around the U of O campus or in downtown Eugene using a bike for work and renting a car when necessary is a practical option. If he is working for the U WeCar.com would be an option. Again, he should ask his HR representative what transportation options to his workplace are available while he is settling in.

Shortly after arriving the OP will need to open an account with a bank or credit union near his workplace or residence. Credit unions usually offer excellent value. First Tech Credit Union has several branches in Eugene and they have a wide range of services including car loans and insurance. If you will be renting a car be sure your car insurance has a rental car rider, much cheaper than what the car rental company sells.

Don't rent a car long term at the Portland Airport or in Portland. There is an additional tax assessed. The same car rental company may charge different amounts in each city. Husband and I had our car die during our vacation and needed to rent a car. Mid-trip we turned it in then checked it out again at a cheaper city. The car rental office was happy not to have to clean the car and we were happy not to move our stuff. We found the best car rental rate through Costco's travel site.
Thank you Nell,

Yes I will be working for the University so I guess the solution : bike + car renting when necessary is a good option.
I will probably need a car in the beginning to buy all the stuff for my apartment.

So the ultimate question with no answer is still where to live I made a list of some residency with amenities like Park Grove, Heron Club, Crescent park, Stadium park etc... I think it's the best solution for me

Old 11-03-2012, 10:59 AM

Housing around a university is always a scramble. Basically just look at what is available.

Because bikes are ubiquitous in the greater university area there is an active resale market. (Craigslist or purchase from a neighbor or co-worker) My only advise is to not buy a fancy (expensive) one. Invest in a substantial lock.

Eugene police do ticket bicycle speeders, when my husband was a student he got a ticket. Today, in his mid-70s, he brags about it.

Here are a couple useful links:
Eugene, OR Website - Bike
http://www.kval.com/news/tech/87255262.html
http://biology.uoregon.edu/SPUR/images/EugeneMap.pdf

Old 11-05-2012, 07:10 PM

28 posts, read 65,331 times
The Cal Young Rd area is nice. I have a friend who lives on Cal Young Rd--a 20 acre apartment complex-----that is very quiet. Go to maps.google.com and put in 1800 Cal Young Rd. (I have no affiliation with that apartment complex.)
You could look at the online site for the Register Guard newspaper which has a Police Call Log.
Eugene police call log (beta) | The Register-Guard | Eugene, Oregon

I've read that some people here have said that not all calls are listed----- but it might give you an idea. I doubt if ANY one area is always free from crime---- but some are worse than others. I, personally, would not live anywhere near the university. The noise level would be too much for me.

Old 11-18-2012, 01:22 PM

2 posts, read 4,199 times
Massanu: I'm an American and will also be relocating to the Eugene area in the spring of 2013. But having been to Europe a couple times (France) I'm well aware of what you're talking about and the difference in rent, income, commuting and social differences in general. It can be a bit confusing and overwhelming. Any questions please ask and since I'm familiar of where you are coming from I might be able to direct you accordingly. First it's important to know that we use a credit system. People are assigned a social security number. Depending on your type of visa (since yours is employment based) you should get a social security number that is stamped (Restricted to employment only) this is normal and this is the number you would use in applying for credit as well as housing.
Apartments here don't usually come furnished but they do come with a refrigerator and usually a stove (especially in an apartment. A house these items may or may not be included) and you will be able to easily furnish your apartment with temporary or nice used furniture from yard sales you can go to on weekends or through advertisements on websites like craigslist. Commuting is very different as the metro and tram (where available) don't run 24 hours a day. I haven't fully explored Eugene myself so I'm not even sure about their bus system. My suggestion is to get a bike to ride. But this might be a problem as it can snow in winter and there tends to be frequent rain. I will post this and see if you respond with any specific questions and help as much as I can. Congratulations on your job. We don't (yet) have a universal health system but there are clinics. Medications are dispensed with prescription at the pharmacy so if there is something you take you may want to see if your doctor will give you a 3 or 6 month supply until you find a doctor here in the US.

Old 11-19-2012, 02:56 PM

DM559 > Thank you very much for your message

This is a great coincidence that you know France. Yes the VISA is from my future company.

I spent a lot of time seeking good apartments place in Eugene, and I think I will choose a place like Northwood apartments or Somerset Villas

Here is the TOP 5 rated Eugene Apartments for Rent - Eugene Apartments Reviews and Ratings

My preocupations are :

- Will they accept me as I do not have a credit history ?
- I was thinking to use a bike but I will need a car to buy all the stuff for the apartment as they are not furnished.
- If I need a car it will be difficult to find one with no credit history so I will probably have to buy a crappy one (with all the risk)

Old 11-19-2012, 03:18 PM

1,620 posts, read 2,284,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massanu View Post
- If I need a car it will be difficult to find one with no credit history so I will probably have to buy a crappy one (with all the risk)
A lot of people use this site for used cars and trucks. It will give you a good idea of what "crappy' used vehicles sell for.

eugene cars & trucks - all classifieds - craigslist
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area