Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2013, 05:39 PM

7 posts, read 26,194 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend and I are both determined to stay in Oregon, (homegrown Oregonians!) however we'd like to move away from where we currently are. Here's a list of things we'd like out of our new city/town:

• Size: Preferably smaller than Portland, but I'd like to live in a city, or very close to one.
  • Employment: Somewhere where we could both find jobs. I'm willing to work almost anything and I have a lot of experience.
  • Nature: My boyfriend and I are both fairly outdoorsy, and we both love hiking, fishing, basketball, etc. My boyfriend in particular would like to be close to somewhere where hunting is possible.
  • School: I'd also like to be close to a university or college, but it isn't mandatory.
  • Open-minded people: I'm a bit sick of the mentality of "I respect your opinion, as long as its the same opinion as mine." I'd like to live somewhere where people are genuinely open-minded.
  • Public Transportation/Walkability: This also isn't mandatory, since we're saving up for a car right now, but I'm used to walking or busing everywhere, and would like to live somewhere where that is possible.
I was wondering if Eugene is anything like that. I've only visited it twice, and very briefly both times. How much of it fits, and how much doesn't? If it seems like I'm looking at the wrong place, do you have any other suggestions?

Thank you very much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2013, 02:45 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,250,691 times
No it is not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elliebea View Post
My boyfriend and I are both determined to stay in Oregon, (homegrown Oregonians!) however we'd like to move away from where we currently are. Here's a list of things we'd like out of our new city/town:

• Size: Preferably smaller than Portland, but I'd like to live in a city, or very close to one.
  • Anything else in Oregon outside of Portland will be smaller.
  • Employment: Somewhere where we could both find jobs. I'm willing to work almost anything and I have a lot of experience.
  • You and most of the rest of the unemployed. If you have jobs now, suck it up and stay for awhile longer. Moving will just put you in deeper.
  • Nature: My boyfriend and I are both fairly outdoorsy, and we both love hiking, fishing, basketball, etc. My boyfriend in particular would like to be close to somewhere where hunting is possible.
  • Again, anywhere in Oregon. Even Portland except for the hunting.
  • School: I'd also like to be close to a university or college, but it isn't mandatory.
  • You can't hardly swing a cat without hitting a college or university somewhere in Oregon.
  • Open-minded people: I'm a bit sick of the mentality of "I respect your opinion, as long as its the same opinion as mine." I'd like to live somewhere where people are genuinely open-minded.
  • It doesn't matter where you go there will always be two sides to every coin.. Did you ever think they might be right, and it could be you who was wrong?
  • Public Transportation/Walkability: This also isn't mandatory, since we're saving up for a car right now, but I'm used to walking or busing everywhere, and would like to live somewhere where that is possible.
  • Now you're back in the Metro even if it is a smaller town.
I was wondering if Eugene is anything like that. I've only visited it twice, and very briefly both times. How much of it fits, and how much doesn't? If it seems like I'm looking at the wrong place, do you have any other suggestions?

There really is no place like the utopia you are looking for. Anyplace is what "YOU" make of it. When you change locations you just take your opinions and lifestyle with you.

Thank you very much.

You're Welcome

Old 03-03-2013, 06:29 PM

7 posts, read 26,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
No it is not.
Sometimes a little tough love is necessary. My father always used to say, "Wherever you go, there you are." I suppose this isn't the best time, economically, to be picking up and moving, and especially for selfish reasons.

Thank you for your input.

Old 03-03-2013, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elliebea View Post
Sometimes a little tough love is necessary. My father always used to say, "Wherever you go, there you are." I suppose this isn't the best time, economically, to be picking up and moving, and especially for selfish reasons.

Thank you for your input.
Smart girl ...

Old 03-03-2013, 10:43 PM

281 posts, read 709,157 times
I wouldn't listen to Steve, he doesn't even live in Eugene and often gives condescending and negative responses.

In regards to your questions:

Eugene is obviosly smaller than Portland, but the metro area is about 350,000, so it's still a decent size city.

Employment depends largely on what type of work you're looking for, but there are jobs for those willing to work hard.

Eugene is an excellent place for enjoying the outdoors. With two rives, many lakes, the cascades and the coast all within a short driving distance there is something for almost everyone! I have a lot of friends who are able to live the entire year off the meat they hunt and fish.

The U of O is great, and there's also LCC, which just opened a campus downtown. I have attended both and like them very much!

Without question people are extremely open minded here, particularly compared to the rest of the US.

Public transportation here is very functional, we do much of our commuting by bus and EMX, which serves most of the metro area.

Based on your criteria, I think you would enjoy it, but it might be good to come and visit for a weekend!

Old 03-04-2013, 12:57 AM

31 posts, read 58,294 times
Default Eugene

Well, the other poster is correct about jobs... there are more opportunities in Portland however, if you can find a job in Eugene before you move, then Eugene may just be a great fit for you. I think it fits just about everything you mentioned in your list of wants. But, it is nice to be able to pay for all those fun things... Eugene and Springfield are wonderful areas to live. Springfield being a bit less expensive. But it's still a wonderful place to live.

Good luck with your decision.

Old 03-04-2013, 02:08 PM

83 posts, read 180,606 times
At the risk of being scoffed, you might also consider Salem around Bush Park neighborhood. It's near Willamette University, it's walkable/bikable, and I think we have a nice downtown. Corvallis is really nice, but very expensive and doesn't seem to have many jobs. Good luck.

Old 03-04-2013, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizzle-Chest View Post
I wouldn't listen to Steve, he doesn't even live in Eugene and often gives condescending and negative responses.

You really need to know what you are talking about if you are going to attack someone. I was conceived in Eugene. Lived there a good part of my life. I am a direct descendent of the founder. My mothers side are multiple pioneer families. I spend almost as much time in Eugene as I do Dallas. A good share of my Family Son, Grandkids, Brothers etc. live in Eugene. I myself have lived in Eugene for over 30 years at verious times.

As to negative, I tell it like it is, not how someone thinks it should be. After 65 years I know a thing or two about Eugene. I try to give the real picture, and you can depend on my advice. My family goes back several generations in Eugene and I draw on their experience also.

Old 03-04-2013, 05:38 PM

1,126 posts, read 2,914,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
You really need to know what you are talking about if you are going to attack someone. I was conceived in Eugene. Lived there a good part of my life. I am a direct descendent of the founder. My mothers side are multiple pioneer families. I spend almost as much time in Eugene as I do Dallas. A good share of my Family Son, Grandkids, Brothers etc. live in Eugene. I myself have lived in Eugene for over 30 years at verious times.

As to negative, I tell it like it is, not how someone thinks it should be. After 65 years I know a thing or two about Eugene. I try to give the real picture, and you can depend on my advice. My family goes back several generations in Eugene and I draw on their experience also.
Wait a minute, in the Bend forum you say you live there....... And are negative about it too.

Old 03-04-2013, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whirnot View Post
Wait a minute, in the Bend forum you say you live there....... And are negative about it too.
I never said I live in Bend. Our family has several homes there though. If it is negitive, that is how I tell it. If it is positive, I tell that too. I don't paint rosey pictures where there are no roses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area