U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 03:46 AM

2 posts, read 3,564 times

Advertisements

thank you ahead for even reading considering that there has been dozens of cloud cover discussions....I simply am interested if Eugene is just as overcast all day like Seattle or is it overcast with daily peeks of sun due to being in "a valley"....basically Washington offered no glimpse of the sun whatsoever during winter....being PNW should I assume Eugene is a carbon copy? thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2013, 07:15 AM

775 posts, read 1,059,997 times
Depends on the day. Yesterday it was cloudy and gray (supposed to be sunny and 65*) all day long, no sun breaks. This morning it s absolutely clear and beautiful outside. The weather here is great in the summer. Its the other 9 months of e gray/rain/clouds that we cant stand, which is why we are moving to Bend!

Old 04-22-2013, 08:49 AM

775 posts, read 1,059,997 times
Scratch that. Here we are 2 hours later and its back to gray and gloomy.

Old 04-23-2013, 11:56 AM

6,034 posts, read 13,136,122 times
We lived in the Seattle area a few years ago, and we now live in Eugene. In our experience, the weather in Eugene is a lot better. The winters aren't as wet or dark or cold, and the summers are longer and warmer.

You have to remember, too, that the further north you go the shorter the winter days are, too. I experienced SAD really bad while up there, but in Eugene not as much. Less light up there.

Also in the Seattle area, you have to deal with more traffic (stress), higher cost of living (stress), and more occurrences of road rage. Road rage is a real problem there - as it is everywhere, of course. But in all the states and places we've lived, Seattle/Bellevue/Redmond area is the only place where our family doctor even brought it up and talked to us about it. She explained that due to SAD, increasing amounts of caffeine intake, congested and stressful traffic and long commutes, etc. that road rage was a big problem in the area and that we should be careful to try to limit our caffeine intake and practice safe defensive driving.

But as far as weather, it does seem much better in Eugene. You can see more of the sky in Eugene, too, and I think that helps it feel brighter or warmer somehow. We're at the southern end of the Willamette Valley here, and it's a really good place to be.

Old 04-23-2013, 12:44 PM

15,323 posts, read 17,778,734 times
Here about 100 mile south of Eugene, in the mountains of southwest Oregon, lately it's been sunny & in the 70's, no wind at 2000'.

Old 04-23-2013, 01:41 PM

Location: PNW native currently residing in the SoCal high desert
259 posts, read 560,422 times
^sounds like a little slice of heaven

Old 04-23-2013, 04:37 PM

15,323 posts, read 17,778,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowHorse View Post
^sounds like a little slice of heaven
Thankyou...

We've truly loved living here, over five lustrum now, among the forest critters, pond life, flying ones...

Old 04-23-2013, 04:59 PM

841 posts, read 1,553,292 times
Eugene's weather is better than Seattle's but for a sun worshipper it is still pretty inferior. Sunshine hours appear not to be tracked here but my guess is Eugene runs about 2200 hours or 200 more than Seattle. As with Seattle, Eugene gets very little of it during the winter.

You really start noticing the difference starting in late May to mid June. Afternoon temperatures in the Eugene area start leaving Seattle's behind and by the time August arrives are anywhere from 6 to 10 degrees higher. Both Seattle and Eugene are much sunnier summer than any other time of the year but Eugene can have up to 90% possible for days - sometimes weeks - on end during the late June through early September time frame. You rarely see those percentages around Puget Sound.

You'll get the same general blah, rainy weather in either place during our dull winters but late spring, summer and early fall it's much better down here....

Old 04-23-2013, 11:48 PM

2 posts, read 3,564 times
Thank u for such great feedback.

I suspected Eugene would have a bit more days of sun.

My husband and I both grew up in the mountains (MT & WY) but work has kept is in Orange County,CA...home of road rage and raging housewives lol.
We still have our dream of escape....Seattle was on the list but we kinda got sticker shock....for the areas we liked best housing prices were nearly as high as here...then there was the grey.

I took my 7year old with me a year ago feb....there was a freak ice storm! kids were sledding down the icy streets and the traffic was a carbon copy of gridlock but with a layer of snow....wild.

Anyway thank you again, really. We are going to come in July for the Fair...a few of the posts elude to scary hippies but looking at the photos on the fairs web page it looks fun...kind of renaissance fair meets shrek!

Take care

Old 04-24-2013, 11:59 AM

6,034 posts, read 13,136,122 times
I've never been to the CF but from what lots of natives have told us it has changed quite a bit over the years. There are still naked boobies and eccentric artsy types galore, and of course the dirty old farts (DOF's), but from what we hear there is an annual increase in the interminglement (I think I just made that word up) of yippies and college brats and plain-clothes police officers. Who knows, next year there might be Dutch Bros. or Restoration Hardware?! Buy your own steampunk kits? (I actually saw those at a store in Eugene. So funny.)

We save our twenty bucks and just go to the Saturday Market for our DOF "old Eugene" hippie vibe fix. There's usually there's less flaunting of the boobage there, though. Aw-shucks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area