Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2016, 12:22 PM

2,129 posts, read 1,775,175 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
This is a very active small town, with a great number of outdoor areas close to it. They have a strong community spirit and offer lots of social opportunities. There's stores of most kinds, with one larger grocery from a regional chain. It was once a booming lumber town, but that's mostly past now. Someone with retirement income wouldn't have to worry about the limited job opportunities here.

One of the best things about the aftermath of the timber industry collapse, is the very low housing prices. You can get twice as much of a house here as you could for the money in Springfield and three times as much as in Eugene. There are a couple of daily bus runs by a private company from Eugene.
My issue is that Oakridge is one of the towns where the city council legislaged to keep medical marijuana dispensaries out. I believe there is one there now - but I'm not feeling secure about moving to a place where they tried to keep medical marijuana out of the city. I worry that they'll do it again.

Also, Oakridge is totally inside a park. Are you still allowed to grow your own there? I'm guessing it MUST be a state park (haven't looked it up) or there wouldn't even be a dispensary.

What's the skinny on medical marijuana in places like Oakridge?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2016, 03:50 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,042,133 times
Pyewackette - Look up Oregon state MJ laws. I could be totally wrong, but I believe you can grow up to three plants yourself? A city might have voted to keep the MJ businesses out, but as an Oregonian you are still allowed to grow your own.

Also, as far as dispensaries... EUG is maybe 20 minutes away and there are more of them here now than Starbuck's. OK, maybe not that many. But I can walk to five from my house. Seriously. Take one of those bus runs from Oakridge to EUG, get your fix, and bus your happy self back home.

Oakridge is surrounded by federal land - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Willam...ational_Forest

I would like to know more about Oakridge... Would anyone care to share what they know or have experienced with regards to flooding? We have two friends who live out there. One person has never had a problem with flooding. The other person says their property floods every late winter/early spring. We love the feeling of Oakridge, and we definitely love the low cost of housing, but we worry about flooding.

Old 03-17-2016, 04:03 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times
Although I agree with going to Eugene for your medweed in the event that the Oakridge city council decides to disallow dispensaries, it's a bit more than just 20 minutes away. Don't count on less than an hour, and if you depend on that cute little bus, add another 15 minutes or so to get where you need to go. It's a great service, though, and you can get to Eugene and back for $5.

First I've heard of Oakridge being "totally inside a park."

As far as flooding, my family has been in the area for almost a century. Grandparents are gone now, but I don't recall a single instance of flooding in their home, my father's, or any of the younger one. There may be some low lying places that have a problem, but they're the exception.

Old 03-17-2016, 10:35 PM

136 posts, read 80,569 times
Default Wha....?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyewackette View Post
My issue is that Oakridge is one of the towns where the city council legislaged to keep medical marijuana dispensaries out. I believe there is one there now - but I'm not feeling secure about moving to a place where they tried to keep medical marijuana out of the city. I worry that they'll do it again.

Also, Oakridge is totally inside a park. Are you still allowed to grow your own there? I'm guessing it MUST be a state park (haven't looked it up) or there wouldn't even be a dispensary.

What's the skinny on medical marijuana in places like Oakridge?
Wha.....keeping marijuana dispensaries out of Oakridge? When did that start? Oakridge city council has never voted to keep out marijuana dispensaries and it's a little late to start now. We have a very nice dispensary in town called Green Oak, NV, right on Highway 58. Also, many people in town (at least on the south side of the highway) grow their own. This area gets lots of sun and is the perfect climate for growing. Oakridge is surrounded by U.S. Forest Service land, but we are not inside a park....all land in town is privately owned.

As far as flooding....there had been yearly flooding before Hills Creek Reservoir was built in the 1960's. Our neighbors tell us that their house (and ours) had flooded before the dam went in. Since that time, though, there has been no flooding, not even during the 500 year flood event of 1996. So, unless the dam breaks...I think we will be okay.

Old 03-22-2016, 09:00 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,042,133 times
Thank you Matlakatla and Lamppy My husband and I are thinking about relocating to outside of Eugene once the youngest kiddo is done with high school. Lately we talk more about Cottage Grove and Oakridge as possibilities. But it will be at the very least two to three years from now. It's good to hear flooding isn't much or any sort of issue now. The friends who said their home floods every year do also have a creek behind their house, so maybe that is what they are referring to. When I hear flood my brain thinks FLOOD. Maybe they are just talking about a big inconvenient puddle. I will ask them to clarify next time we see them!

Old 04-14-2016, 09:51 PM

29 posts, read 24,153 times
i'd love to sell my place in EUGENE, and possibly move to SPRINGFIELD, but the land in EUGENE HAS BEEN VALUED SO LOW,I can't get enough money to afford moving some where else. And, the value is still going down, so i am stuck.--I was just notified, i'll have a 5-lane highway in front of my place, ON river rd., and all the sidewalks and trees very possibly will go.

Old 09-12-2016, 08:51 PM

329 posts, read 470,010 times
between Eugene and Springfield, who Has most the walking and biking nature trails. That is a huge selling point for us. I see lots in Sourhern Eugene and that is winning me over right now

Old 09-12-2016, 10:55 PM

11,120 posts, read 5,583,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by therese marie View Post
between Eugene and Springfield, who Has most the walking and biking nature trails. That is a huge selling point for us. I see lots in South Eugene and that is winning me over right now
It would be easier to have a more positive attitude towards that place to the East of Eugene, if you hadn't grown up here and had it for a neighbor. The main bike path there was put in by the Eugene Water & Electric Utility, along their power lines. Another nice little bike path west of the main town was funded and put in by a private individual and volunteers. Another one is along the Pioneer Parkway, but there are many street crossings and a couple of major and busy intersections. The Parks Dept. there and its district are not a part of the city organization, unlike the way it's done in Eugene. So they have developed some nice park areas and have some long, natural trails in the works on the East end of town. There's one excellent bike path to the South, along the Willamette River, with a mostly-natural area and paths in the forest along its length. West of town, it continues, to hook into the main Eugene bike path system. Eventually, there may be a major east-west bicycle path across the whole area, next to the railroad, but don't hold your breath until they get around to building it.

The best way to live there, would be to find a place outside the city limits. Much of the residential area south of the railroad tracks, is not inside the city boundaries. And rent or home buying is a lot cheaper there, but I don't think groceries or other commodities are less expensive. Market of Choice had a store there, but closed it about 16 years ago, as the organic and politically-correct crowd just wasn't there to patronize it. But they do have a store at the East end of Eugene, not far away on Franklin Blvd. You won't find bulk food sections or much in the way of salt-free canned or frozen items in the chain grocery stores, the way you do in Eugene. But there's always a big WinCo store to fill that need.

Last edited by Steve McDonald; 09-12-2016 at 11:07 PM..

Old 09-13-2016, 07:02 AM

32,632 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by therese marie View Post
between Eugene and Springfield, who Has most the walking and biking nature trails. That is a huge selling point for us. I see lots in Sourhern Eugene and that is winning me over right now
Definitely Eugene.

Springfield is a working class area and those people head to the mountains to do their biking and hiking instead of paying for trails through the community..

Old 09-13-2016, 11:35 AM

329 posts, read 470,010 times
Thank you Steve and Oregonwoodsmoke..

I have been using google earth to kinda see and we want to live in the wooded areas ..on Zillow it shows as Churchill, Southeast and Southhills ( but that part seems too expensive). Most the ones look we like are in Churchill and Southeast..

Plans are to retire there this summer.. Well for the most part retire, my husband is a freight driver and may work part time since the have a hub in Eugene.

We did briefly go there few months ago but made the mistake of just going downtown.. that part felt crowed so we left and headed to Cottage Grove.. ( which we loved too)
But in my research, I found that Southern Eugene is more of what we are looking for.. The wooded areas ( like Timberline Dr) feel like you away from it all but can drive a short bit and be in town. Well that is how it looks on google earth ha ha.. ♥
We will be listing our home in March and ready to buy a home soon after.. ♥

Last edited by therese marie; 09-13-2016 at 12:40 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area