Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2014, 03:57 PM

1 posts, read 1,458 times

Advertisements

Hello All! I am new here, please be patient . I have been diagnosed with emphysema and through searching, believe southwest Oregon is the best place for me to live, and live longer. I moved to Sacramento CA from Seattle WA 11 years ago. I could not live with the cloudiness and cold of Seattle, although I loved the beauty. Now, I very much want to move to Oregon. May I get suggestions for my move? Such as - which is best of Roseburg, Eugene, Medford, Sutherlin? This move is retirement for my husband and I. I know it rains a lot in this area, but is it always cloudy and 'gloomy'? Is it true that the wind does not blow in the Roseburg area?

I thank everyone for any information you would like to offer. I have a subscription to the News Review, and would appreciate any other suggestions for a good newspaper.

Thanks again
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2014, 04:12 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,618,677 times
Medford's climate is the most similar to Sac. but air quality AFAIK is better - less smog and ground level ozone.

Eugene I'd be a bit wary of with respiratory issues. Personally my allergies were fine in Eugene compared to other places I've lived, but there are a lot of triggers that bother other people. Temperature inversions in the valley can trap pollutants for days on end, and issues with a variety of agricultural pollens are fairly common, particularly the grass-seed.

Eugene has similar precipitation to Seattle, though it's generally going to be a few degree warmer (other than Dec/Jan). It's also going to have reasonably similar patterns of cloud cover through the winter. If there's a difference between Sea/Eug, it's a slight matter of scale, not of kind.

Roseburg/Sutherlin I can't help you with, other than pointing out that they're fairly small and remote. Roseburg is the 'big city' in Douglas County at 20k. Medford and particularly Eugene are much more proximate of something resembling small cities.

Old 11-13-2014, 09:58 AM

248 posts, read 451,957 times
Two people that I've known in Eugene with COPD have had to move due to the air by doctors recommendations. One moved to Santa Fe and the other moved to South Florida and both seem to be doing much better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area