U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-16-2008, 09:26 PM

73 posts, read 270,352 times
Default Eugene schools for the gifted

Does anyone know anything about the GATE program in Eugene schools? Do the schools have the resources to keep bright kids challenged?

We are in a "good" school district now but it's too rigid and conservative, all they care about are test scores.

I'm looking for schools that will keep them challenged creatively. Eugene seems like a great city for the arts, are the schools benefitting from this culture? If so, which ones.

Many thanks!!!
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2012, 06:08 AM

3 posts, read 1,681 times
This is the topic I was going to start, but rather than add a new thread, I thought I'd try bumping this one.

mkcking did you find a school in the Eugene area that met your expectations for a gifted program?

We have 2 elementary-aged kids, both in the gifted program at a good school (by Virginia standards). The job prospect that would move is cross country is in downtown Eugene, but a commute of 1/2 an hour is certainly reasonable if it means a better school zone for the kiddies.

Even with all the data out there, it's hard to match that up with practical application in selecting a new school from afar! Which elementary, middle, and high schools in the area have the strongest gifted programs?

Old 04-02-2012, 11:20 AM

5,555 posts, read 7,469,329 times
Hi there... We have kids in 4J (Eugene public schools). I also have volunteered quite extensively in the schools for many years. I think your best bet would be to call the district and talk to someone. 4J

This link might help: Parent Resources | 4J

You would probably have an easier time finding something suitable in Portland, and especially Seattle. Eugene is very small. A twenty minute commute will have you outside city limits at a PYO farm. Half-hour you'll find fields of sheep, or mountains depending on which direction you're heading. The U of O in Eugene and OSU in Corvallis both offer summer enrichment programs for TAG students, but the schools themselves don't seem to offer much, at least in our experience.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area