Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2015, 08:48 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,023,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Kaaboom, certainly you shop at local retailers frequently enough to collect a few plastic bags to use on your trips to Eugene? If not, you can have mine; I've got hundreds that I've been meaning to put in the recycling thing in the Florence Safeway.
I've got a drawer full of plastic bags too, but thanks anyways.

Really though we are talking about the OP, who lives in Eugene, who probably doesn't have the resources to travel to Florence to shop at a store that gives out bags. It probably wouldn't make economic sense anyway.

It's also probably a moot point anyway. In California I actually did make it a point to shop in cities where it was still legal for stores to give out bags. That was good for a short time, but eventually it became a statewide ban. Which is what will probably happen in Oregon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2015, 11:00 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times
Just trying to help since you were complaining about having to buy bags on your forays to Eugene to stock up.

Springfield stores give out free bags. Seriously, though, I'd just get an inexpensive canvas or burlap deal if I were the OP.

Old 06-27-2015, 06:25 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,671,176 times
I don't use bags if I can avoid it. I shop with two medium sized cardboard boxes and a small insulated cooler. Frozen foods go into the cooler, small items go into the boxes, and large items like paper towels, milk jugs, etc. ride like they are.

Old 06-28-2015, 03:00 PM

6,421 posts, read 7,661,659 times
People in Europe have been using their own bags for years. It isn't a new idea. Does anyone have a better idea to clean up after those who don't care about the environment?

Old 06-28-2015, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
People in Europe have been using their own bags for years. It isn't a new idea. Does anyone have a better idea to clean up after those who don't care about the environment?
Well, you start by not doing the wrong thing, and it has already been proven in Europe to be the wrong thing.

Why California’s Plastic-Bag Ban Won’t Help the Environment

Old 07-02-2015, 06:15 AM

1,324 posts, read 2,509,537 times
We just returned from Scotland where we had to pay for bags, no wonder it was so clean everywhere we went, didn't see one bag stuck in a tree. They also had recycling trash cans on all the streets, bus and train stations. It really made a positive impression on us!

Old 07-02-2015, 12:37 PM

37 posts, read 39,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
I find it irritating too. I have to drive 90 miles to Eugene to shop, then get hit with having to pay for bags on top of that. Why can't there be a Target store on the Coast? Unfortunately I don't know of any other decent place to shop in this part of Oregon, so don't have much choice. I'm kind of used to it anyway. When I lived in California, I had to pay for bags everywhere.

BTW I'm more concerned with the trees that have to be cut down to make the paper bags. Plastic is recyclable, which I am more then happy to do. It's just a pointless feel good law that doesn't really accomplish anything.

Just a thought, but you could buy a large heavy-duty back pack. Load most of your groceries into that. Makes it easier to carry too.
No, plastic is very hard to recycle, and is typically not even called recycling--it's called downcycling because the end product is very much inferior. Plastic is very harmful to the environment, especially the aquatic environment. Not remembering to bring a reusable bag is your fault.

Old 07-02-2015, 12:45 PM

37 posts, read 39,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Well, you start by not doing the wrong thing, and it has already been proven in Europe to be the wrong thing.

Why California’s Plastic-Bag Ban Won’t Help the Environment
For every story, there's another side.

Recycling of plastic lags because recovery is hard and new production is cheap - The Washington Post

Old 07-03-2015, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaguar3030 View Post
Again, forcing poor people to pay for otherwise free bags, doesn't solve that problem. It never has anywhere it has been tried, it never will.

Old 07-03-2015, 01:39 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times
You're not forced to pay for them. If you're driving 90 miles to grocery shop, you should be driving a few more over to the Springfield Winco for food is cheaper and bags are free anyway. besides, you've got a drawer full of plastic bags you claim to have in your vehicle for your next trip to Eugene's big box stores.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area