Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2017, 11:30 AM

22 posts, read 23,754 times

Advertisements

Thanks so much in advance for your help!

I'm looking at potentially spending either year-round or 8-9 months of the year in OR (or WA).

I'm heading out this summer to check out towns and my criteria are:

- access to healthy food stores a must - especially good produce within an hour drive.

- access to hiking as much of the year as possible and not too hot (not more than a handful of days above 90) or too cold (I'd like minimal snow and not more than a few weeks below 40 if possible) to walk dogs outside (the problem I have with summer in Tucson is the heat and I cannot safely walk large dogs here.)

- dog friendly meaning I can find a rental where dogs are allowed (not looking to purchase for a few years).

- within 2-3 hours from the coast.

- rent for a 2 bedroom small house in the $1500 range or up to $2k for the right place

- strong internet options for work

- within 2 hours of a good-sized airport (ie. size of San Jose airport is fine, don't need a SF airport closeby as I just go to the midwest and east coast for work several times a year)

- not high-drug areas (ie. I chose not to go to Arcata years ago after visiting and couldn't get away from the smell of marijuana, had a headache the whole trip)

- I'd love to be on the outskirts of somewhere in a safe place. I like some land and I LOVE quiet - hearing the coyotes at night here in AZ feels very at home.

- I realize rain is a reality in the Pacific Northwest, if there are towns that are a bit more sunny and less rain, I'm open.

Towns I've researched so far:

OR - Corvallis, Eugene (though I've noticed this is a red flag for marijuana everywhere from other postings), Salem, Ashland (though I realize it doesn't meet the airport criteria and may also be high in drug use?)

Thanks for your help!!!! Blessings!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2017, 12:52 PM

8 posts, read 41,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happytobehere789 View Post
- not high-drug areas (ie. I chose not to go to Arcata years ago after visiting and couldn't get away from the smell of marijuana, had a headache the whole trip)
Uhhh... are you sure you want to come to the Pacific Northwest then? I mean, even before the legalization of marijuana the area was pretty 'pot friendly' if you will.

I'd definitely rule out Eugene, and most likely (though to a lesser extent) Corvallis based on those criteria.

Thankfully many of the areas will have most of what you seek near by. Portland, Seattle, Bellingham, Everett, Olympia, Astoria to name a few. Your budget should be able to afford you the accommodations you seek even in the bigger cities if you are diligent about your search.

Old 02-22-2017, 01:00 PM

329 posts, read 470,724 times
We are retiring this summer to either OR or WA..
For OR, look at the town Cottage Grove, its 25 miles south of Eugene.
We are looking at areas around Olympia WA, beautiful area..
If you want less rain, I heard Port Angeles and Sequim in WA are in the rain shadow and get way less rain and still stunning.. lots of retirees there..

Old 02-22-2017, 01:44 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,722,762 times
You might like Baker City. Two hours from Boise. But it does get cold in winter, though, so whether it would work for you depends on which 8-9 months of the year you'd be spending there.

Old 02-22-2017, 04:24 PM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times
Well, other than the fact that is rains a lot in Eugene, it gets hotter and colder than you like, there is a very pronounced pot culture, and the Portland airport might be more that 2 hours away, Eugene is just about the only place in Oregon that meets most of your wish list.

Salem might possibly work for you, with slightly less marijuana and closer to PDX, but just as much rain, as long as you don't want much night life. Salem is a pretty sedate town.

Old 02-23-2017, 02:08 PM

248 posts, read 452,160 times
The other replies are very spot on as far as pot culture and weather. I just wanted to mention that when you're on the "outskirts" of Oregon cities, often it's not possible to get reliable high-speed internet. I've had multiple clients find it necessary to move to the city for good internet.

Old 02-23-2017, 10:23 PM

Thank you all for your help!

Old 02-25-2017, 05:19 PM

5,444 posts, read 7,740,196 times
Other than being close to the beach, what you are describing is pretty much Flagstaff Arizona.

Old 03-11-2017, 04:41 PM

thank you all for your help. I did visit and found Eugene definitely marijuana filled which was an issue for me (headaches) and I ended up staying in Corvallis instead. I am not sure on the area and definitely get the internet issues, the airbnb in corvallis I was at had constant problems and I had to go to a coffee shop to work in Salem, I am going to visit more this summer when I can spend more than a week and drive up to WA too. I appreciate the flagstaff comment too, that has been an area I've considered though I didn't want the winters if I could get away from it. Appreciate all of your comments and suggestions! No where is perfect, just trying to find a good fit as most of us are. Thank you!! Blessings!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area