Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2017, 08:08 PM

499 posts, read 1,446,529 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorupaa View Post
I've herd people from the east coast say Portland is a big town. To me Portland is a sprawling city. Eugene is a little better.
Haha! They just herd them into one town or another.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2017, 09:31 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,671,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sorupaa View Post
I've herd people from the east coast say Portland is a big town. To me Portland is a sprawling city. Eugene is a little better.
Portland by itself is not very large, but the metro area adds up. If they haven't been there, the population numbers are deceptive.

Old 05-02-2017, 06:03 AM

978 posts, read 1,088,102 times
I used to live in Portland and I'd here people on the max and bus talk about how lived somewhere els and they lived in a huge city before Portland. It seems like those people move here and people from Portland leave.

Old 05-02-2017, 04:00 PM

2,424 posts, read 3,534,727 times
Stay away from the Oregon coast opposite Eugen. There are no warm Summer days and the wind blows 20+mph all afternoon.

Old 05-03-2017, 11:04 AM

256 posts, read 265,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Stay away from west 13th, which is where all the druggies and hookers hang out.
Not true. They've taken over 6th and 7th St, the Whitaker, Washington Jefferson Skate Park, and Alton Baker Park as well, too haha

Old 12-10-2017, 01:51 PM

6 posts, read 6,699 times
UPDATE from Eugene/Springfield!!!
I say Eugene/Springfield cause we are near the separation between the two towns. We have been here since May 22 2017. We got here with a job for hubby but the company he was going to work for gave him the run around the first monday we were here that was a major red flag. Needless to say by tues we both had our resumes online and were contacted by an employment agency that asked us to stop by their office, which we did for a meet and greet. Hubby had a job by the end of the week and I was busy looking for an apartment (which we got 14 days after moving to the area thanks to a great reference from our previous manager) that couldn't work right away but they worked with me and I was able to get hired on with the same employer working the same shift. If your willing to show up to work everyday (no problem) and not call off all the time (no problem), have a good work ethic (no problem) then you basically have a job at this place. We have been here about 6 months, have an apartment and looking into seeing about getting a first time home buyers loan for a house. Lots of nice neighborhoods here. People here complain about the cost of living here being so much money but what you are paying for is more than worth it. Coming from Vegas, there was nothing that ever made me want to purchase a home there. One thing I have noticed is that the neighborhoods here are not separated by block walls everywhere you go, it really is a nice change. Here yes you can have grass, trees, gardens and not pay for penalties for running water. The town has older homes in the center of the towns and newer homes in the ourskirts but that is expected every town is like that. So far we are loving it here, the summer was only surprisingly 3 and a half months long WOW! Been to the coast almost every weekend in the summer and to the mountains to the east also. Been fishing to all the rivers in the area and some of the lakes and reservoirs, so beautiful, peaceful and relaxing. The rain is surprisingly not that bad as people make it out to be like it rains non-stop, so far the most it has rained is maybe two days in a row, other than that the rain is a drizzle with an occasional down pour. Other than that just cloudy or sunny and cool. Fall here was absolutely beautiful. My personal favorite is the foggy nights here makes it rather quiet and calm. One way I think of it is that if it is such an inhospitable area no one would live here but it isn't. I think we made a good call, considering we moved here sight unseen. Well that's all from this NVn8v now in the PNW and loving it.

Last edited by nvn8v73; 12-10-2017 at 02:22 PM..

Old 12-10-2017, 02:47 PM

6 posts, read 6,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bees46 View Post
The housing market is pretty tight here and the COL is definitely higher. Do your research, and find a job before you move. I love Eugene, but there are easier places to live that still have more moderate weather than Las Vegas, and access to the things you like to do.
The COL here is the exact same as in Vegas if not a little cheaper. Jobs here are rather easy to get if you have a strong work ethic and are willing to work hard, go figure. Gas here was the exact same as Vegas, groceries cost here are about the same depending on where you shop, same as Vegas. As far as the cost of Utilities from what I have experienced with our bills it is dirt cheap compared to Vegas. Just the rent is a rip off because of that fact you are paying alot of money for some place that is over 30yrs old yet paying the same amount of rent for a newer place yet extremely small. As far as housing after just doing a few quick checks at some of the realestate prices are about the same but you get more bang for your buck and you don't have to pay HOA fees around here (unless you really want to live in a gated community, which around here means you really are la te dah!).

Old 12-10-2017, 03:32 PM

226 posts, read 257,845 times
I'm glad you made a successful move and are enjoying the area!

Old 12-11-2017, 01:19 AM

15,419 posts, read 9,049,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvn8v73 View Post
UPDATE from Eugene/Springfield!!!
I say Eugene/Springfield cause we are near the separation between the two towns. We have been here since May 22 2017. We got here with a job for hubby but the company he was going to work for gave him the run around the first monday we were here that was a major red flag. Needless to say by tues we both had our resumes online and were contacted by an employment agency that asked us to stop by their office, which we did for a meet and greet. Hubby had a job by the end of the week and I was busy looking for an apartment (which we got 14 days after moving to the area thanks to a great reference from our previous manager) that couldn't work right away but they worked with me and I was able to get hired on with the same employer working the same shift. If your willing to show up to work everyday (no problem) and not call off all the time (no problem), have a good work ethic (no problem) then you basically have a job at this place. We have been here about 6 months, have an apartment and looking into seeing about getting a first time home buyers loan for a house. Lots of nice neighborhoods here. People here complain about the cost of living here being so much money but what you are paying for is more than worth it. Coming from Vegas, there was nothing that ever made me want to purchase a home there. One thing I have noticed is that the neighborhoods here are not separated by block walls everywhere you go, it really is a nice change. Here yes you can have grass, trees, gardens and not pay for penalties for running water. The town has older homes in the center of the towns and newer homes in the ourskirts but that is expected every town is like that. So far we are loving it here, the summer was only surprisingly 3 and a half months long WOW! Been to the coast almost every weekend in the summer and to the mountains to the east also. Been fishing to all the rivers in the area and some of the lakes and reservoirs, so beautiful, peaceful and relaxing. The rain is surprisingly not that bad as people make it out to be like it rains non-stop, so far the most it has rained is maybe two days in a row, other than that the rain is a drizzle with an occasional down pour. Other than that just cloudy or sunny and cool. Fall here was absolutely beautiful. My personal favorite is the foggy nights here makes it rather quiet and calm. One way I think of it is that if it is such an inhospitable area no one would live here but it isn't. I think we made a good call, considering we moved here sight unseen. Well that's all from this NVn8v now in the PNW and loving it.
Thanks for the update. I'm happy it's working out well for you. Please do give another update in the Spring though. You still haven't been In Oregon for the worst part of the year. You should be prepared for some periods of non-stop rain, with some snow and ice mixed in. But I agree Oregon weather is not bad, at all. And Eugene's location is great for outdoor activities and easy access to the coast and to the mountains.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area