U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 08:26 AM

22 posts, read 36,812 times
Default Grass pollen

This has to be the worst year ever for grass pollen, which, according to one of the local news casts last night, Eugene leads the world in. Not surprising since grass is grown commercially in the valley. I've been miserable for about two weeks now with no end in sight (until the pollen dies down). The news reported the pollen index yesterday was around 500, and has been as high as 900! I think they said 100 is considered normal. Anyone else been having problems?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2008, 10:03 AM

20 posts, read 62,298 times
Everyone in my office is sniffling. I'm on a couple of medications and still sniffling, sneezing, itching. It just comes with the territory, I suppose. It'll be over in another 3 or 4 weeks. In the meantime, I'm praying for rain and staying indoors.

Old 06-18-2008, 09:16 PM

4,088 posts, read 4,478,421 times
I'm in Albany and have had a few bouts of allergy due to pollen. It's usually really bad around here from around mid-May through July, then picks up again in the fall until the rains start. I can only speak for myself, but this year seems to have been unusually mild for me.

Old 06-18-2008, 11:36 PM

295 posts, read 626,937 times
I think the news said 10 was the normal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazzman View Post
I think they said 100 is considered normal. Anyone else been having problems?

Old 06-19-2008, 11:47 AM

22 posts, read 36,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skypros View Post
I think the news said 10 was the normal.
I think you're right sky; my head is all plugged up, including my ears, from allergies and sinus and probably misheard it. But, like lisa said, it goes with the territory. At least there's some rain forecast for the weekend that might help dampen things down.

Old 06-08-2010, 06:20 AM

1 posts, read 2,483 times
This place blows! 7-8 months of rain/grey, mid-October through June, than two months of world record grass pollen to where I want to lop off my head. O wait, there is one month that's not too bad...than here comes the rain again

Old 06-08-2010, 04:56 PM

7 posts, read 8,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaitingForTheSun View Post
This place blows! 7-8 months of rain/grey, mid-October through June, than two months of world record grass pollen to where I want to lop off my head. O wait, there is one month that's not too bad...than here comes the rain again
I have to say, I agree.

Old 06-16-2010, 01:15 AM

2,222 posts, read 4,425,892 times
I love Eugene so much, but I was just there for the commencement at UO and I almost went to the hospital because of allergies. That grass pollen is insanity and Eugene is no place to go if you're allergic to it. It's absolutely miserable.

Makes me sad because I love Eugene so much.

Old 06-16-2010, 02:13 AM

4,558 posts, read 3,444,359 times
It is absolutely insane! I just got a prescription of Flonase and am taking it along with other allergy medication, and I still barely see a difference. I have lived her six years now, and I have never suffered this bad before! The last 14 days I have felt like a zombie with tissue paper in my hand.

Old 06-16-2010, 10:05 PM

5,569 posts, read 7,919,817 times
I haven't had any problems but my boys and my husband are both really suffering. They've never had allergies this bad before.

We called the doctor yesterday and the nurse said it's the worst she's ever seen and she's been working in Eugene as a nurse for 23 years. They are sending people to the ER left and right, she said. She said if there's any wheezing at all, just go to the ER. We couldn't even get an appointment until two weeks from now (unless someone cancels) because our doctor is booked up with people having problems with allergies. It's horrible this year for sure.

Just in case it helps anybody, though... The nurse told me to give my kids either zyrtec or clariton - follow the directions on the box - but that it takes several days sometimes a week for the medicine to build up and begin working. So, meanwhile, while the medicine is building up, the nurse said it is safe to take Benadryl along with the zyrtec or Clariton for a few days until the meds begin working. So far so good with my kids, they're just really sleepy. Which isn't such a bad thing! They could use more sleep!

My husband keeps swearing by local honey. It's totally not working but he's stubborn and bullheaded. We went through this a few years ago when his allergies acted up. He refused to take meds, he took the honey. Well... he developed two inner ear infections and a bad respiratory infection and ended up on antibiotics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area