Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 03:11 AM

857 posts, read 1,723,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Eugenified View Post
I should also mention that before I decided to move to Eugene, I researched a lot of different cities. And EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM was blasted in the forums by a few people claiming that said city was crime-ridden, a meth addict haven, terrible for jobs, etc, etc. It seems like the exact same set of complaints is recycled for every single city!
Frankly, for Eugene, I don't have any idea in comparing it to other cities, as a newcomer to your forum and just starting to research.

As for other cities, yes many are blasted for these reasons - same is true with Flagstaff, Phoenix, Tucson, Vegas, Albuquerque, Santa Fe (NM), Ashland, Oregon, etc.

As you point out in several of your posts, it's true that the neighborhood counts - having lived Flagstaff, Albuquerque, Vegas, and Puyallup, WA. there are SAFER areas and NOT so safe areas.

However ... when a City has a patchwork of safe and not so safe areas, there's migration of criminals to the safe areas. This happened in Albuquerque a few years ago, when car thiefs from the South part of town began stealing cars in the SAFER N.E. heights at night.

On City-Data, the only exception seems to be Boulder, where the city data aggregate crime score is about 200. Boulder does not have much of a crime issue because they have lots of high paying jobs -- with high tech industries. It's very expensive to live there unless you have one of those jobs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2009, 01:53 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,413,708 times
Alright, as someone who's lived here a long time, I must say that I don't agree with ANYONE'S opinions on crime in Eugene so far.

So far it seems like people either think Eugene is some sort of methed out hellhole with no police force, no community awareness, and no safety anywhere blah blah blah, or that all the crime is just college kids getting their bikes stolen and homeless people getting busted for drinking downtown and so on.

It has been said before, but crime in Eugene mostly is drugs and drug related. The drugs are, to some degree everywhere, but there's no reason to worry about them They are easily avoidable, and if you don't want to I doubt you will ever come in contact with them.
That said, at the same time you WILL notice obvious junkies around town, and I personally find do find syringes on my property sometimes.

The drug related side of this comes in the form of property crimes. People dismiss this, saying that it's only druggies who need to support their habit and at least they aren't hurting anyone, but imagine how YOU would like it when meth heads kick in your back door, like what happened to me about a month ago and happens in this city several times a day. Maybe that's the worst thing that happens to you living here, but it's no picnic, and it wouldn't even be the first, or the second, or even the third time for me.

However, most of Eugene is Very safe, and It seems like 4/5 of the crime happens in the central Eugene area --around downtown, including west university--and in lower income areas to the west -- around bethel. Take a look at the Eugene police map and you will see, the crimes in the further out areas are few and far between.

I have been to many places, good and bad, and Eugene is definetly safe. Someone mentioned Albuquerque, and in comparison to that, Eugene is a cakewalk. THe worst neighborhoods in Eugene look only half as bad as any neighborhood off Central in ABQ.

You will be fine here, just remember to keep close watch on your possessions. Theft won't happen every time you leave something unattended or unprotected, but make a habit of it and you will be burned.

Old 04-15-2009, 06:29 PM

8 posts, read 33,871 times
I lived in eugene for about 8 years. 1973-1980. I loved the place. have many happy memories there. the only things that I didn't like - hay fever and no jobs. it rains a lot. but that doesn't bother me.

Old 04-15-2009, 11:51 PM

Default Eugene Winds

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1208 View Post
I have been to many places, good and bad, and Eugene is definetly safe. Someone mentioned Albuquerque, and in comparison to that, Eugene is a cakewalk. THe worst neighborhoods in Eugene look only half as bad as any neighborhood off Central in ABQ.
Thanks and good to hear that. When were you last in ABQ? I was there in 2007. Central is getting better west of San Mateo in the historic Nob Hill district, w/ new loft apartments, etc. -- but it's not safe at night.

You know, why is there a drug problem in Eugene? As a biologist and weather freak into Biometeorlogy, I've been looking into reasons why. Why? Because drugs don't just happen; there has to be a reason.

It appears that the meth / marijuana problems in the West are in cities with very low average wind speeds, and in topographically low lying, flat areas -- irrespective to elevation -- just relative to the surrounding landscape. Perhaps the lack of wind slows people down -- due to excessive negative ions? (Winds bring positive ions, which are energizing. Negative ions are calming, and perhaps can include depression. This is a new field in medicine. Negative ion and ozone generators are dangerous, however, causing permanent respiratory problems.)

I don't like wind, as an avid bicyclist, so this is an important consideration. Some of these towns out here in the Rocky Mountains like Boulder have avg. speeds of over 10mph. Any weather freaks at UO / OSU reading this (I doubt it!)? This is part of a report I'm writing, please let me know what you think ....

Puyallup, Wa. in a river valley in eastern Pierce County - avg=4.9 (my estimate from living there, since hills block prevailing SW wind, only gusty winds are from NW (summer) or E (rarely), Seattle airport is 7.5) Puyallup bans *ALL* indoor burning *ALL* the time, and has high air pollution due to stagnant conditions with hills on most sides.

Flagstaff, AZ. avg=6.6mph

Arcata, CA age=6.5

Eugene, OR. avg=6.8mph (Corvallis=6.1; Roseburg=3.3)

Medford, OR avg=4.1

Bakersfiled - 6.1

Fresno - 6.1

Riverside - 5.0

Palm Springs, CA avg=7.3

Windier Cities:

Vegas at 8.1 due to SPRING winds ONLY

Albuquerque at 8.5 due to SPRING winds ONLY

And, that's at the Airport. In the North Valley, Downtown, there's no wind (average probably 7.0).

Santa Fe (NM) at 9.5 - windy all year (I did not like the winds there.)

Boulder average is 10.1 !!! (one of the highest in the US, and that's due to winds in every month, just like Santa Fe, NM)

Reference: WRCC Average Winds By Month; Yearly Average:

http://www.wrcc.dri.edu/htmlfiles/westwind.final.html

Last edited by CCCVDUR; 04-16-2009 at 12:01 AM.. Reason: Text added: Negative Ion Generators Are Dangerous !

Old 04-17-2009, 09:28 PM

6,066 posts, read 14,989,712 times
This is so crazy, but I think you're on to something with the negative/positive ions. I'm no scientist, but I recently began reading about -/+ ions when they were brought to my attention while deciding whether or not I wanted to purchase a hairdryer. I was like, "What the heck do ions have to do with drying my hair?" and that's when I began reading...

Anyway - that is really very interesting.

As far as the why's and reasons for drug use, though... I feel there are just as many reasons as there are users - and that is a great number, unfortunately!

They just busted a huge heroin operation here in Eugene recently. According to the news article I read... you used to be able to go to a certain corner downtown and buy some heroin for $10. Since getting this particular operation off the streets, that same amount of heroin would now cost you $300 - 400. This group of drug dealers were illegal aliens from Mexico. According to the article, they plan to keep them in prison here for a certain number of years, then deport them back to Mexico at the end of their sentence.

They also busted a huge pot operation here recently, too. This couple and their young son had an entire house converted into a pot-growing business. It was a rental, too... the landlord was unaware that the renter held a medical marijuana card... Anyway - this was a pretty big and quite sophisticated operation that's now defunct. Evidently the couple had a few other residences that they were using to grow and sell the pot.

I also heard on the news recently that they busted some people who were using hotel rooms to make and sell meth. I didn't catch the whole story, but that was good news... that they bust some of those creeps. I think of all the drugs, meth and heroin are the ones that scare me the most as a mother with young kids. I want that garbage gone.

Old 01-27-2010, 06:31 PM

7 posts, read 26,906 times
Default Really? More info pls..

"The drug related side of this comes in the form of property crimes. People dismiss this, saying that it's only druggies who need to support their habit and at least they aren't hurting anyone, but imagine how YOU would like it when meth heads kick in your back door, like what happened to me about a month ago and happens in this city several times a day. Maybe that's the worst thing that happens to you living here, but it's no picnic, and it wouldn't even be the first, or the second, or even the third time for me (1208)".

It is incredible to me that you followed this with rating Eugene VERY safe in general. Did I miss something? Am I correct to assume that you must live (or lived) in one of the very bad areas to have had this happen to you several times?

I am considering Eugene for my kids and I, and would be in the U. district, probably family apts our housing when available, not sure yet about crime in those areas, and if it is the type of crime I would be concerned with (s/a raping of cats?!, ee meth heads kicking doors down, random violence etc.)

Old 01-27-2010, 06:44 PM

So refreshing to hear (read)! It is true that one can become fear ridden and devp some type of analysis paralysis

Old 01-27-2010, 06:54 PM

Coldylocks,
I am also considering Eugene for my kids and I, and have rec'd positive input about both Eugene and Corvallis; So many positive responses for Corvallis... I am considering it despite better program in Eugene for what I am majoring in. I have spent time in both (and briefly lived in Eugene as a young teenager) and love the feel of Eugene for the most part; I have never felt uncomfortable at all, have always admired the bike and river trails/paths, reminds me of Europe that way... I also love the sound and feel of Corvallis, esp. for raising kids, though it sounds as if it's more challenging to get hired into the school district for teaching - you may find some of the responses on my original post 'Eugene or Corvallis for me and my boys?' helpful as well. Good luck!

Old 02-01-2010, 01:08 AM

Default Eugene Crime

"The drug related side of this comes in the form of property crimes. People dismiss this, saying that it's only druggies who need to support their habit and at least they aren't hurting anyone, but imagine how YOU would like it when meth heads kick in your back door, like what happened to me about a month ago and happens in this city several times a day. Maybe that's the worst thing that happens to you living here, but it's no picnic, and it wouldn't even be the first, or the second, or even the third time for me (1208)".

These crime threads on Eugene both on this forum and the statewide forum are discouraging. The place doesn't sound safe; I've lived in too many places where it's not safe to run or bike after dark. The Eugene Weekly just had articles challenging the police in Eugene.

This sort of scenario doesn't sound good and there are many other Western and Southern Oregon towns that sound a lot better. How does Eugene's crime compare to Ashland, Grants Pass, Corvallis, and Medford? Since there's a meth problem, why hasn't it been corrected? Why is there antagonism towards the police in Eugene, when they're the ones cleaning up the drugs? I want a town that's safe 24 hours a day.

This article is exactly what I mean. The naive, uneducated author doesn't understand how drug traffickers are arrested. Now, it is true that Libertarians never lie, however, this is an exception:
Eugene Weekly : Feature : 1.21.2010

These authors REALLY have serious problems if they're out on the street trying to BUY the stuff, when they COULD get it LEGALLY w/ an Oregon medical marijuana permit. Reminds me of here in Arizona, where it is a felony to possess any amount HOWEVER people do it anyway, when they could move to Colorado and get it legally. I have no problem with Medical Marijuana.

Oregon - NORML

The Eugene Weekly article is anti-authoritarian. Nothing wrong with that, however, law ENFORCEMENT is our most important and SHOULD be our MOST TRUSTED aspect of government. How much hatred of the police exists? How much drug trafficking goes on behind dumpsters at night? How safe is Eugene compared to elsewhere in rural Oregon?

Last edited by CCCVDUR; 02-01-2010 at 01:45 AM.. Reason: Eugene Crime

Old 02-01-2010, 02:42 AM

231 posts, read 776,044 times
As I have said over and over again, the crime issue in Eugene is minimal. The statistics are skewed by small property crime around the university (it's the same in other college towns) plus one grungy area of Eugene where the down & out live. (Check the Eugene crime statistic map on the Register Guard website to figure it out for yourself.)

So here's two tips for readers to follow if they want to avoid crime and the police in Eugene:

1. Don't break the law or hang around with people who are breaking the law or associate in any way with grungy low-class individuals that have anything to do with drunk driving, meth, mullets, trucker hats, sleeveless Metallica t-shirts, and/or strip clubs. Just say no. Then make friends with the other 95% of the population in Eugene.

2. See point #1

One other issue: The Eugene Weekly is a fun local paper with liberal and oftentimes wacky views. Most readers just check it out for info on music events, restaurants, etc. The editorial content is controlled by one guy (Alan something). He gets a few goofy letters to the editor supporting his views. So take it as the view of 1 person who happens to have a printing press. (FYI, I am quite liberal myself, but the Eugene Weekly guy is really off the deep end in most cases). If you want a more accurate view of the situation in Eugene, read the local real newspaper, The Register Guard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area