U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 05:19 PM

30 posts, read 80,854 times

Advertisements

i was curious what there is to do when you are low on cash and in your early 20's. i'll be coming from a bit of a smaller city in South Dakota and wont know anyone let alone what there is around the city... that's basically the extent of my question heh. any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2009, 11:38 AM

314 posts, read 654,265 times
Stand on the corner & beg for $$

Sorry I could not resist.

Lots of hiking/biking
going to the river (in the summer)
Free movies in the park (in the summer)
Visit downtown on the weekends

Old 02-26-2009, 10:44 PM

22 posts, read 73,321 times
Walk, walk, walk all day long. From SE college neighborhoods, through Skinner's Butte area, west via the bike path as far as you want.

Old 02-26-2009, 11:54 PM

5,581 posts, read 8,162,592 times
On the First Friday of every month (and March 6 is about a week away ) the JSMA has free admission from 11am - 5pm. Jordan Schnitzer Museum of Art

The Hult Center has free preview shows in their lobby at 11:15 am... they call it SHOcase... the next one is a sample of the Eugene Concert Choir. There is also info about the First Friday Artwalks on the hult page... Hult Center for the Performing Arts

There are lots of volunteer opportunities out there, especially during these hard times - what are your interests? There are probably lots of ways you can volunteer your time doing things that you're interested in. Or, volunteer doing something totally new, learn some new stuff. You can even volunteer at many of the places around town where there are performances, and you'll get to see the shows for free. Things like the Stream Team (http://www.eugene-or.gov/portal/server.pt?space=CommunityPage&cached=true&parentna me=CommunityPage&parentid=9&in_hi_userid=2&control =SetCommunity&CommunityID=671&PageID=0 - broken link), or Nearby Nature, or at one of the local public schools (you'll have to pass a background check first). Schools need help with all kinds of things from gardening, to decorating the halls, to reading to kids, to just helping out in the classroom or in the main office or reshelving books in the library, etc.

The Saturday Market is about to open! Hang out there and people watch, or become a crafter and sell stuff - make some money. Eugene, Oregon's Saturday Market

Go to the library - check out music CD's, films, books, magazines. Go read, listen, and watch stuff. there are also things going on at the Libraries all the time - check out their website and see if thre's anything going on that interests you - what are you into? Music? Art? Theater? http://www.eugene-or.gov/portal/server.pt?open=512&objID=215&PageID=0&cached=true& mode=2&userID=2 (broken link)

Go find all the planets in Eugene's very own scale model of the Solar System : http://www.efn.org/~jack_v/

If I knew what you're interests were, maybe I'd have some better ideas. I'm sort of a boring person, myself. My husband and I like staying home and watching OPB! I have kids, so I do a lot of volunteer work at their schools, too. I love OPB. Oregon Field Guide always makes me want to go on a field trip. http://www.opb.org/

There's the Bijou Arts Cinema that shows cool films - if you buy a pass, and go on Thursdays, you get three free tickets. In Springfield there is a dollar movie theater. http://www.bijou-cinemas.com/

If you volunteer at the Grower's Market, you can save on good food (cut your food spending) and support a good cause. Growers Market Home Page

Go climb a tree. There are lots of them here.

Spencer's Butte is always there for you. We've hiked it in all kinds of weather, there's no bad time. Well - actually our least favorite time is the Summer when the weather is nice and it's crowded! On "bad weather" days, sometimes you'll have the place to yourself.

Go by one of the community centers, pick up a Recreation Guide. Or go to: Recreation Services (http://www.eugene-or.gov/portal/server.pt?space=CommunityPage&control=SetCommunity &CommunityID=221&PageID=0 - broken link) There's lots of free stuff during the Summers, but there are things other times of the year, too... you just have to look around.

Get a second job? Like waiting tables or something... there actually are jobs out there, it's just that they don't pay very well. But if it's a second job, or part-time, it can be a good thing. http://www.eugenejobs.net/

Pick up a Eugene Weekly... there are more free things listed in there to do under the calendar section... http://eugeneweekly.com/2009/02/26/index.html (broken link)

Old 03-03-2009, 07:26 AM

4 posts, read 25,704 times
The $1.50 theater in Springfield also does sales on Monday. If you go in a group of three or more, the price is reduced to $.50 each.

I'd recommend hanging out around the Saturday Market. It's a great way to meet people. Also, if you've got any musical talent, you can look in to playing there on streetcorners for a few extra dollars a week.

Old 03-07-2009, 08:55 PM

84 posts, read 133,243 times
Red face I wish to reply for you younguns

I drove 25 yrs and got my pension locked in and saved enough to pay cash if I want buying a house out there. As my wife says to me , it does not seem like that much time passed. I feel like 30 ! Anyhow I saw today work I would LIKE to do but would be descriminated against, petroleum engineer ! Check it out. A salary posting per The Dept of Labor claims one can get $98 grand at entry level. The Colorado Mines stated $70K, this site gives good info, and you can type in this job on Career Builder. They DO post so many "pie in the sky" jobs. Not real jobs.

Old 03-14-2009, 02:31 PM

Go check out the new Rosa Parks statue! Eugene has a lot of cool public art...

Go ride a bike! The weather is getting nicer!

Go fly a kite!

Old 04-26-2009, 11:15 AM

19 posts, read 58,404 times
[quote\]
Go by one of the community centers, pick up a Recreation Guide. Or go to: Recreation Services (http://www.eugene-or.gov/portal/server.pt?space=CommunityPage&control=SetCommunity &CommunityID=221&PageID=0 - broken link) There's lots of free stuff during the Summers, but there are things other times of the year, too... you just have to look around.
[/quote]
my sone will love the summer camps so many to chose from but I think he'd go with the star wars one

Old 04-26-2009, 11:21 AM

19 posts, read 58,404 times
what about hang gliding in or around Eugene I'v always wanted to do that

Old 04-27-2009, 10:01 PM

The new recreation guides just came out! There are some fun things going on this summer. Many are free but you still need to call or go to a community center (or go online) (http://www.eugene-or.gov/econnect/Activities/Activities.asp?SCheck=747395076&SDT=39930.83280694 44 - broken link) and reserve your spot. Recreation Services

Some free things listed are:

Neighborhood Picnics

Neighborhood Celebrations (Bethel Celebration, Whiteaker River Festival, Multicultural Festival)

Some free open recreational swim days (some with themes) at the community pools

public library events - reading, authors, story times, music performances, etc.

Summer Fun nights

Movies in the park

ultimate fisbee

kickball league (free and open to everyone)

something called "barn ball"

ice cream socials

bicycling

Fun for All drop-in events for children and teens

Summer concerts in the parks (check Hult Center website)

Roving Park Players (Peter Pan, Shakespeare...)

tree climbing events

... lots of fun stuff. It's going to be a very fun summer! There are lots of things like kayaking trips, rafting trips, etc. that only cost a few dollars per person, too. There are even other sorts of classes... like budgeting 101, debt-reduction classes, etc... art classes... dance classes... language classes... some are free and some just cost a few dollars. Very cool.

There's no reason to be bored this summer, even if you're broke. There are also scholarships available - you can call 541-682-6379.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area