U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 03:22 PM

857 posts, read 1,346,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
I was just looking at city-data's "top 101 cities" lists and found that Eugene's air might not be as bad as it's made out to be, at least not in 2005 when the measurements were taken.

Under counties with the highest carbon monoxide levels, Lane County (Eugene) did better than Jackson County (Ashland). Jackson County ranked 18th worst in the nation, Lane County was 71st.

Under counties with highest annual particulate matter rankings, by the way, no county in Oregon made the top 101 list, but Bernalillo County (Albuquerque, NM) ranked 23rd highest.

Nitrogen dioxide: no county in Oregon made the top 101, but again Bernalillo County, New Mexico was 64th.
Keep in mind that in regards to Ashland and Medford, both in Jackson county ... Medford-Talent-Phoenix (OR) are in a basin, while Ashland is elevated on a hillside w/ better air circulation, much like the hills around Eugene. The number for Jackson county is high mainly because of Medford and Central Point, OR emissions. Getting the cars out of the congested city center by building loop freeways would help Eugene's air quality and its asthmatics, but that is not politically popular in Oregon (unlike Phoenix, AZ).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2010, 05:14 PM

List of all Lumber and Pulp Mills in state of Oregon -

UP: Oregon Mill Guide

I don't have an axe to grind here (no pun intended.). I am confident that there are areas in Eugene-Springfield that have BETTER air quality than OTHER areas . . .

Old 03-03-2010, 09:25 PM

2,953 posts, read 4,507,640 times
This is best article I can find online about the association of the Willamette Valley with sickness and death.

As I suspected, the only explanation is urban legend.

Old 03-03-2010, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
This is best article I can find online about the association of the Willamette Valley with sickness and death.

As I suspected, the only explanation is urban legend.
Thanks for that - I'll check the Native American literature to see if there's anything else. Nevertheless the valley is not necessarily the best place for individuals with allergies, migraines, arthritis, fibromyalgia, depression, and chronic fatigue syndrome.

For these cases, Southern Oregon or Eastern Oregon could be better since they are drier (i.e. Bend, LaGrande, Ashland). And, Corvallis has more air circulation. Today there was light rain in Eugene all day long w/ 100% humidity, high alder pollen, and high mold. I think that anyone w/ these symptoms considering the area would be advised to visit during the season whenever their own allergen is at its peak (mold, grass, pollen), before concluding anything from city data posts.

Old 03-04-2010, 09:59 AM

2,953 posts, read 4,507,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCVDUR View Post
Nevertheless the valley is not necessarily the best place for individuals with allergies, migraines, arthritis, fibromyalgia, depression, and chronic fatigue syndrome.
It depends what one is allergic to. I'm experiencing allergies now in NM apparently from tree pollens which never bothered me before. People from the east coast with respiratory problems moved here in the early 20th century to breathe better air, only they wanted it to look more like home so planted trees that they had back east (elm, mulberry, etc.), filling the air with pollen. We now have laws that prohibit planting of certain allergen-producing trees, but I think it's too little, too late. Juniper, however, is a notorious allergen which is ubiquitous in the high desert and predates the migrations of health-seekers to the Southwest.

The state with the best air is Hawaii, unless you're in the path of volcanic gases on the Big Island. A friend of mine who's lived in Kona for many years has developed sensitivity to the "vog" (volcanic smog) and wonders how much longer he can live there. A good psychotherapist or acupuncturist can help with a lot of the kinds of health issues you've mentioned. I think no matter where you live you have to make trade-offs of one kind or another. If the PNW is so unhealthy for you, why are you there? Isn't there any consensus among healthcare practitioners about where is the healthiest place to live for someone with your symptoms?

Old 04-28-2013, 12:34 PM

1 posts, read 967 times
An update: On April 26, 2013 announced over the radio was confirmed findings on the quality of Eugene air. IT is rated an "F".....and 14th down on the list of cities with BAD AIR! SO beware about EUGENE! Look around at the people here, THEY ARE PROOF!! Many in wheelchairs, with walkers, hoses up their noses, with asthma, retina problems, liver and kidney disease. BELIEVE me....diesel smoke and fumes is good for NO one!!! The trains idle their engines for hours and hours, all night long, all day long many days and nights straight! THIS is the "Valley Of Death!" People are proof!!!! Just look at ALL the people!!!! From sluggish, no energy to disabled!!! Don't ever move to EUGENE!!!!!! [mod edit language] SURE fine the woodburning....how stupid....they are NOTHING compared to the "OTHER" polluters!!!!! Trains and industrial!!!!!! GET REAL!!!!

Last edited by Oildog; 05-01-2013 at 10:50 AM..

Old 04-29-2013, 12:17 AM

2,209 posts, read 4,397,515 times
It looks like according to the American Lung Association, there *are* 24-hour periods in which Eugene gets an "F" in particle pollution, but it gets a "Pass" for ANNUAL particle pollution and an A for ozone. If you look at the figures, the pollution has also improved. So it's not fantastic, but it's not as bad on a yearly basis as on occasional days, and it's improving.

American Lung Association State of the Air 2013 - Lane
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area