U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2010, 11:37 AM

211 posts, read 808,502 times

Advertisements

It is a long story but here is a stab at it. I am divorced with two girls ages 6 & 8 and currently living just the 3 of us on Kauai. My "X" gave us permission to move here 2 years ago from L.A. She now wants us to all move somewhere that we can all be close together because she refuses to move here for some reason. She wants to move to Ashland which is a lot different then any other place we have ever lived before. I am hoping you can all give me the pros and cons of making such a move. By the way I am white and my "X" is Asian so the girls are mix raced. And lastly I will not be looking for a job because I work online and can be anywhere I choose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2010, 11:33 AM

211 posts, read 808,502 times
I hope that the help offered here is not a sign of what to expect by moving to Ashland.

Old 03-15-2010, 02:42 PM

9,995 posts, read 11,685,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bresdo View Post
I hope that the help offered here is not a sign of what to expect by moving to Ashland.
Bresdo,

Your request for info about Ashland is somehow nested under the Eugene discussion group. Probably just a snafu. That is why you have not yet received responses.

Here's my quick response. Ashland is a wonderful community, full of Californians and telecommuters, so you would fit in fine. It is expensive, but less so than Hawaii, I would expect, and all-around nice. It is a ghetto for expat, usually wealthy, liberal Californians, with little social connection to Oregon as a whole (imagine Aspen, Jackson Hole, Durango, but probably not so elite, and you get the picture), but it is a very nice community, with good schools, great outdoor activities, and many activities through the year.

Old 02-21-2011, 11:32 AM

25 posts, read 61,822 times
Hello, Bresdo - Here's another perspective: Watch out for Ashland. It looks cute, but so does Disneyland. We have lived in San Francisco, London, Paris and in smaller, high-quality towns. When we retired, we bought a house in a very nice part of Ashland (a few years ago) - and we wish so much that we hadn't. With the economy the way it is, we're stuck for the foreseeable future. Ashland is all -- All -- about tourists and their money. Property taxes are very high. The cultural values are mediocre. The dog policy is really telling: NO dogs, not even service dogs, in ANY park in Ashland EVER - except the dog park out on the edge of town. If you want to walk your dog, you can walk in the gutter (few sidewalks in Ashland) or hit the trails and take your chances with mountain bikers, bears, and cougars. It's not a nice town. It's all about money and meanness. Be careful where you land. And be very careful about Ashland. There is a lot of polarization, horrible small-town politics, and no real concern for the residents. Come as a tourist, a wealthy, liberal one - you'll have fun. Nice place to visit - avoid living here.

Old 02-21-2011, 10:53 PM

17,645 posts, read 36,159,244 times
The OP posted this thread a year ago, and has since taken a job opportunity in South Korea, according to another thread.

Old 03-12-2011, 12:34 PM

1 posts, read 1,129 times
Looking to go to or live near Albany, Oregon. Any comments about Albany?
Any reply appreciated.
Rick Feldman
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area