Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 05:33 AM

10 posts, read 25,745 times

Advertisements

The city is also noted for its natural beauty, activist political leanings, alternative lifestyles, recreational opportunities (especially bicycling, rafting, and kayaking), and focus on the arts. Eugene's motto is "The World's Greatest City of the Arts and Outdoors." It is also referred to as the "Emerald City", and "Track Town, USA."

Within the walls of the Historic Fifth Street Public Market you'll find a colorful collection of shops, restaurants, and an artisan gallery room. Business and pleasure mix to create one of Eugene's most entertaining destination points.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2010, 09:56 PM

37 posts, read 60,200 times
When I lived in Corvallis I visited Eugene often. The restaurants are great and I loved the live music scene. To me, it's a bigger version of Corvallis with all the things I miss about Oregon. The people are real and the beer is superb! I loved the rain and the bike friendly nature.

Old 05-01-2010, 05:32 PM

Location: Philadelphia, PA (Wanting to move) --Burlington, VT, Asheville, NC, Boulder, CO?
129 posts, read 404,262 times
Default Relocate from Burlington, VT to Eugene/Portland, OR?

Hi, I am thinking about moving to Oregon and am wondering if you would be willing to help me figure out which city I would be best suited? I have been told I would like Portland and Eugene, so I'd like to explore those.

I am also interested in Portland, Maine... and wondering particularly, how it compares with Burlington, Vermont, and really how all of these cities together compare with one another.

I know what's important to me, which I think will help me in terms of deciding on a city to visit and hopefully live, so maybe I can share these things with you?

I have yahoo messenger, and you can message me at: Not2bforgot10

Thank you.

I look forward to hearing from you

Old 05-08-2010, 12:25 AM

1,591 posts, read 3,426,865 times
the summers

the people, mostly, very friendly and accepting and comfortable being themselves.

just enough happening to scratch your itch, usually

the size-not too small or big

all in all a pretty good place, better than most

Old 05-08-2010, 02:36 PM

10 posts, read 24,536 times
Beautiful town. Lots of trees, wonderful places to shop and great restaurants. Friendly people and some great book stores also. The bike paths can't be beat, and the Rose garden and the Rhododenderon garden at Hendricks park are beautiful to walk through and enjoy.

I am no prud, but there is way too much emphasis on alcohol. Of course it is a great source of income in the area. It also comes with great cost in the long run. Just my honest opinion.

Old 05-11-2010, 12:30 AM

6,066 posts, read 15,046,326 times
There are good breweries and wineries here, though. The problem is when people party with the primary inention to drink, or to drink to purposely get drunk. It's those immature agendas that are IMO really stupid.

If your goal is more enjoying a glass of wine or a beer with friends and it's just one little piece of the whole, and not the sole purpose, then things are so much better. EVen then if you do drink a little too much, because that wasn't the point to begin with, it's usually a lot more fun and enjoyable that way! It's all in how it's handled.

But yup - lots of grapes here and hops is becoming more of a substantial crop as well!

Old 05-11-2010, 09:08 PM

Who cares if people want to drink? If you just want to sip on one drink that's fine but why judge someone who wants to drink more?
But yeah, I agree, there is a lot of good beer and wine made around here.

Old 05-11-2010, 09:38 PM

1208, if you would or could read into the posts a bit closer and think about it, there is no judgement there meant for anyone in particular....only opinions such as you are giving yourself.

I indicated I was no prud...which could mean I might enjoy a drink now and again myself. My reference is to the many problems that have been caused by overindulgence and people who cannot and do not handle themselves properly when they do drink "more." Have you not noticed what happens as a result? It's much like strip mining for precious mineral for monetary gain...then leaving the land spoiled. There should be a way to do those things without the destruction. I hope you understand my meaning. The people that produce the alcohol advertise and sell it...push it so heavily in advertising that it seems to consume so many young lives anymore. It costs the taxpayers a lot in jails, police, hospital care and space, crime, car accidents, family misery of all kinds. More people care than you might think. Ask the young man that smashed and killed 3 innocent people and is now serving 3 consecutive 20 year sentencings. I could name more but won't. That's it. No more bad.

Old 05-11-2010, 09:47 PM

I did not say you were judging anyone specific. And I'm not defending alcoholism/drunk driving/whatever else. All I'm saying is some people like to drink alcohol, and I think that should be their decision.

Old 05-12-2010, 09:49 AM

And I'm basically saying the growers, makers, sellers and money makers of it shouldn't be allowed to advertise it any more than marajuana is advertised, which we know it isn't.

You are right. It is people's decision already if they want to drink alcohol...but I don't think you really know what REAL alcoholism is. Not your fault.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area