U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 01:20 AM

1,592 posts, read 1,694,862 times

Advertisements

yeah Eugene is gonna feel pretty safe compared to ABQ or Oakland. I was pretty surprised at how serious the local gangs sounded in the article. I think one of the reasons homicides are low in Eugene is because there aren't many gangs, so the few that exist don't need to fight for territory or whatever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2010, 01:02 PM

5,581 posts, read 8,208,966 times
That's why I said "swept under the rug". It's here but it's not noticeable. You won't really be aware of it unless you really go looking for it. People still leave their windows and doors open and unlocked here, and keys in their car. Personally I don't think that's very wise at all, but there are definitely lots of people here who still feel safe enough to do those kinds of things and not think twice about it. We have neighbors who leave their garage doors open all night and it's no biggie to them. I'm from a large metro area. I'd never do that kind of stuff.

Old 06-15-2010, 01:16 PM

464 posts, read 613,596 times
I currently live in Asheville, NC and used to live not too far from Eugene, OR. The two are a lot alike. Both progressive college towns with a big "shop local" aspect going on. I've met quite a few people here who moved from the Eugene/Portland area, and know a few who have moved from here to live in Eugene.

What I like about Eugene:

All the bikes lanes!
The Oregon Country Fair
The local music and music that comes to Eugene
The downtown Saturday Market
The yummy places to eat
The availability and presence of organic food
The Used bookstores and other neat shops
The overall nice vibe I got from locals - I miss it.

Old 06-17-2010, 07:39 AM

31 posts, read 83,903 times
1. Love the wild life. The deer, turkeys, beavers, stellar jays etc.
2. Love the people . We have met people who moved here from Texas, Utah and of course natives of Oregon and they all are so friendly and easy to talk to.
3. The size. Eugene isn't to big and it isn't to small.
4. As others have said the mix of large corporations and small mom and pops.
5. The weather. I moved away from Utah for a lot of reasons, the heat was a big one.

I could say a lot more, but it would just be a repeat of what others have said, so just know I agree with most of the things already stated

Old 06-17-2010, 08:29 PM

I love how casual it is. Have I already said this? It doesn't matter that much what you wear here. As long as you are presentable and hopefully not too terribly offensive to anybody. It doesn't matter if you're having lunch at the Hilton, going to the Symphony, attending a graduation or other ceremony, having a nice dinner in one of the nicer restaurants. You can get away with wearing anything here and people don't blink an eye. There are certainly some people who do dress nice, but there are lots who don't, and it seems all are welcome anywhere. It's more who you are, what you do, and what you're about than what you look like, and I like that.

Old 06-19-2010, 10:32 AM

23 posts, read 41,787 times
Default Eugene vs Corvallis

What are differences?

Old 06-19-2010, 01:52 PM

965 posts, read 1,625,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pugdoglover View Post
What are differences?
Corvallis is much, much smaller and more staid...fewer hippy revivalists and stoned thirty-something teenagers who refuse to grow up. Corvallis also has a more rooted population. People don't move in and out of Corvallis like they do in Eugene. But like Eugene, it is a college town with fabulous bicycle infrastructure, local foods and an overall liberal bent.

Old 06-19-2010, 05:02 PM

51 posts, read 42,584 times
The Hippies

Old 06-20-2010, 01:10 PM

4,315 posts, read 6,504,284 times
I like the fact it is small city but has the shopping and medical needs and the restaurants the average person needs. One does not need to travel to a distant city for those needs unless they need more of a big city buzz now and then. I like the fact there is a bus system. I like the closeness to outdoor activities. I like all the trails all over town. I just like the smaller self contained feel to this city. There is even an airport with flights to some of the hub cities. I especially like it does not have that pretentious feel of the Pearl District where I live in Portland. Bascially it is not Portland which is too full of itself for me. Eugene seems to just be Eugene and doesn't brag about itself and what it is. Unfortunately Im not cut out for the Oregon climate so could not live in Eugene anymore than I can Portland. If I could I probably would choose Eugene and if not there Corvallis.

Old 06-21-2010, 09:25 PM

Today I was reminded of another thing I love about Eugene - the summer activities for families with kids. The city of Eugene offers tons of free activities to keep the kids busy all summer long. Free swim days at local pools, free neighborhood parties, free art and theater events at city parks, free hikes, free bike safety events, free hikes led by nature guides, free kayak lessons, free concerts in the parks, free movies at parks and pools, and the list goes on and on. There are even free lunches provided by the city at no cost for anyone under the age of 18. You've no excuse to be bored (or hungry for lunch) in Eugene if you're a kid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area