U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 01-24-2012, 09:32 PM

297 posts, read 295,376 times
Oregon Secret: Lots of covered bridges...
Covered Bridges | Oregon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 01-26-2012, 11:53 AM

5,510 posts, read 7,042,357 times
I went on a walk today, and I discovered a trail. I have lived in Eugene a total of about 8 years... and we have walked/hiked/biked almost every day we lived here... and yet here was this trail, a 1/4 mile from my front door, that is so totally cool, that I had been missing all this time.

It kinds of was like that scene in the David Bowie film, the Labyrinth, where the entryway was totally hidden - an optical illusion. You walk down this street and look to your right and all you see is a huge wall of ivy. I've seen that wall of ivy for years!

Well, today, I saw a runner disappear into this wall of ivy. At first I thought my hubby slipped something trippy into my morning tea. But, I had to go explore...

It's not a wall of ivy. It's a trailhead. It's so cool.

Anyway - this is one thing I love about Eugene. I'm always stumbling onto things like this. I think to appreciate living in Eugene you have to be that sort of person with an adventurous sort of spirit. Someone who likes to wander and ask questions.

And what surprised me, too, about this trail, is that I never saw that runner again, nor anyone else for the hour and a half I walked it. And it led out into this area where the river is rushing and there's a bench you can relax on and watch and listen to the river. So cool.

Unread 01-26-2012, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizzle-Chest View Post
...Noodle and Thai on Main in Springfield. It might not look impressive, but they make their noodles fresh every day and they're sooooo good! I first heard about it from a guy from Thailand and he said it's the most authentic place he has found here in the states and the prices are very reasonable.
We'll have to check that place out. My hubby was born in Bangkok, his mother is Thai, she grew up in her family's restaurant. Now the family lives in Nonthaburi which is like a northern suburb of Bangkok. Anyway - we're always looking for decent Thai food, for those times we don't feel like cooking it ourselves.

So far, the best Thai food we've ever had in Oregon, is a place on the coast - surprisingly - called Elephant Thai? Maybe Thai Elephant? It's in Newport. We always stop there.

But the best Thai we've had in the lower 48, was a place called Bangkok Inn in Dallas, TX, in a neighborhood called Lakewood (near the intersection of Skillman and Oram). Hubby always said that was the closest he'd ever come to his mom's cooking outside of his mom's kitchen.

Unread 02-02-2012, 10:15 AM

6,432 posts, read 4,870,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow4yield View Post
Oregon Secret: Lots of covered bridges...
Covered Bridges | Oregon
Also lots of Ghost Towns nearby, not mention the number of historic locations. Several Public Gold Mining spots aren't too far away either.

Unread 02-04-2012, 10:26 PM

24 posts, read 36,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
I went on a walk today, and I discovered a trail. I have lived in Eugene a total of about 8 years... and we have walked/hiked/biked almost every day we lived here... and yet here was this trail, a 1/4 mile from my front door, that is so totally cool, that I had been missing all this time.

It kinds of was like that scene in the David Bowie film, the Labyrinth, where the entryway was totally hidden - an optical illusion. You walk down this street and look to your right and all you see is a huge wall of ivy. I've seen that wall of ivy for years!

Well, today, I saw a runner disappear into this wall of ivy. At first I thought my hubby slipped something trippy into my morning tea. But, I had to go explore...

It's not a wall of ivy. It's a trailhead. It's so cool.
Hey, would you care to share where this mysterious trail is?

Unread 02-06-2012, 11:45 PM

I'll give you some hints... you can find it by exploring.

Goodpasture Island Bridge.

Before Happy Lane.

Look south!

We walked there again today (it was so sunny and beautiful today!!) and found an area that was flooded the last time we were there... parts of it were still flooded. I took some photos... I'll try to remember to post them later. Saw great blue herons, cormorants, kingfishers, lots of geese, ducks.... saw three young eagles swooping around in the sky... no turtles today though. I thought I'd see some sunning on rocks or logs but I guess they were busy doing other things.

Unread 02-08-2012, 10:46 PM

Here are the photos I took from the trail I am calling "Happy Lane Trail"... because I don't know (yet) what the real name for the area is. I know it's part of the Delta Ponds... or at least I think it is.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-SHWC6yh9lr4/TzNKk-L9SVI/AAAAAAAADEQ/a8HwlUXVK68/s640/happylanetrail2.JPG (broken link)

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-KQ7Ovp0XyCY/TzNKmkgGJPI/AAAAAAAADEY/yBiVQnr0ZOU/s640/happylanetrail3.JPG (broken link)

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-RUVGVvWaOZI/TzNKmv1W_mI/AAAAAAAADEc/UgLIudfNIBQ/s912/happylanetrail.JPG (broken link)

Unread 02-09-2012, 10:41 PM

1,592 posts, read 1,396,120 times
that's pretty cool. It looks like the pond area just off to the side of 126. that one is off delta hwy right?

Unread 02-09-2012, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1208 View Post
that's pretty cool. It looks like the pond area just off to the side of 126. that one is off delta hwy right?
Yes... on the southside of the Goodpasture Island Rd. bridge, just north of the new bike/pedestrian bridge... in fact you can sorta see the pedestrian/bike bridge and Delta hwy in the middle photo. I can't wait to see what it looks like when the trees are all full of leaves with their spring and summer clothes on.

Unread 02-10-2012, 09:36 AM

22 posts, read 23,777 times
I don't know if this restaurant has been mentioned---- but it deserves a second mention if it has.
As as far as being 'authentic' (like in Thailand) I don't know----- but it's very good---Sabai in Oakway Center.

Very good service. Nice, clean and 'trendy' ambiance. Lunch portions were much larger than expected---- almost too much.. My Sabai Noodles with shrimp was $9----- and worth it!

Full bar, if you want to partake. The dishes that me had were excellent. And 'hot' just as we ordered.

Another place to get some oriental take out is Sunrise Asian Market----- I think that's a new service they've recently added. No ambiance (grin), limited but good food. The staff is always very helpful with finding an item that eludes me in the market.

Ye Shen-----Vietnamese food. Not much ambiance---- but very good pho. I've never tried anything else there----- but have been told almost everything is good to great. You can also buy cooked pork belly there------ which is a love of mine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area