U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 11:36 PM

15,945 posts, read 36,154,437 times

Advertisements

A bit curious...Ireland is in the EU...and EU and American citizens just doesn't go together for work.

Yet, on these threads, there are Americans looking at relocating to other places if they can find a way...

Any Americans on here made a good go of IRELAND? Or even a bit of research...and explore the possibilities a bit on it? If so, what did you come up with?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2010, 01:36 AM

1,008 posts, read 2,597,033 times
Ireland is one of the few countries that allow citizenship to be claimed through a grandparent so there could be quite a large number of Americans who could live there if they wanted. Also, there is a working holiday visa available to US citizens so not difficult to go temporarily. That apart, I think it's as difficult as any other EU country.l

Old 06-18-2010, 02:53 AM

15,945 posts, read 36,154,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-666 View Post
Also, there is a working holiday visa available to US citizens so not difficult to go temporarily.
Oh no!!! I never heard of that, just looked it up, and it's up to the age of 30. I just missed it!! Argh, I'd have certainly gone and worked there if I'd known that!

Old 06-18-2010, 04:31 AM

12,689 posts, read 14,071,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Oh no!!! I never heard of that, just looked it up, and it's up to the age of 30. I just missed it!! Argh, I'd have certainly gone and worked there if I'd known that!
Here is the govt immigration site. It is very detailed and you really have to sift through it.

Irish Naturalisation and Immigration Service Our Services

Old 06-18-2010, 07:34 AM

363 posts, read 893,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
A bit curious...Ireland is in the EU...and EU and American citizens just doesn't go together for work.

Yet, on these threads, there are Americans looking at relocating to other places if they can find a way...

Any Americans on here made a good go of IRELAND? Or even a bit of research...and explore the possibilities a bit on it? If so, what did you come up with?
Well, it all depends on why you're going there:

If you have or had relatives there;
If you were offered a job there, that couldn't be filled by a citizen;
If you went there on your own (back in the 60's).

Don't go there expecting it to be like back home, because it isn't. I found that out in the 60's. That's when the "war" was going on full force. Didn't like it much, so retreated to the sea and stayed on a fishing boat for two years.

Old 06-18-2010, 07:49 AM

375 posts, read 1,215,831 times
I was there last year and compared to 25 years ago, the island has not gotten any better status with the rest of the world. Medical issues and un-employment top the controversy there, followed by fuel prices and the falling Euro.

Old 06-18-2010, 08:02 AM

12,689 posts, read 14,071,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaduchman View Post
I was there last year and compared to 25 years ago, the island has not gotten any better status with the rest of the world. Medical issues and un-employment top the controversy there, followed by fuel prices and the falling Euro.
In other words, change "euro" to dollar and people's concerns now are exactly the same as those in the U.S.

Old 06-18-2010, 08:33 PM

7,550 posts, read 16,386,697 times
Quote:
For real ?
It is much better now than 25 years ago, though going down a slippery slope like the rest of the world is.

Old 06-21-2010, 10:11 AM

375 posts, read 1,215,831 times
Esp if they bought into the derivatives market scheme!

Old 06-21-2010, 11:00 AM

2,024 posts, read 2,986,675 times
Quote:
Ireland was doing fantastically for quite a long time - it was called the Celtic Tiger. Then when the economic crisis hit, Ireland suffered as well. They got loads of new houses, new motorways, new businesses, and many of those are since 2000 when they joined the Euro.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe