U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 01-03-2014, 10:29 PM
 
4,690 posts, read 8,613,448 times
Reputation: 1011

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler86 View Post
Austrian culture is distinctively of germanic core, not only its peoples but also theirnatural character. Britain's culture is atlantic ... a product of isolation of many centuries, not only they are easy to pick up from continental europeans based on looks.. but also based on their common habits, culture,popular trends , etc... british share as much in common in mentality with other europeans as the people in the states do. There is a huge change in culture wheb crossing the english channel, not only speaking about peoples appearance but the social dynamics and cultural background are heavily ridden in the anglospheric direction..
The Austrian culture is Germanic, but more attached to that of southern Germany which developed into what is known as High German this in turn became the most influential culture in Germany. Northern Germany from a linguistic and cultural perspective is linked to Scandinavia and Great Britain. Yes the Anglo-Saxon developed furthermore their Germanic culture to their new environment and the experiences they had to undergo also shaped their culture. On what basis are judging culture? To know if the English/Anglo-Saxon culture has Germanic roots, we have establish how? The beginning of English literature is essentially Germanic as well, many of the early legends. The English and Dutch cultures became very dynamic due to tha fact that these countries became colonial powers, so their cultures though traditionally Germanic became more enriched, flexible. The same happened to Scandinavian cultures after the Viking period. The Dutch who were also a very dynamic people who will understand the British better. The Dutch as the British were great merchants, had an exploring spirit since they lived in lands which easily could flood, always looking for better land. So they were dynamic, bold, became culturally liberal and tolerant even more so than the English. Looks has nothing to do with culture. Austrian culture is tiny in comparison to Anglo-Saxon culture!

By the way Carrick is of Celtic origin(Scottish/Irish), he could easily pass in the Netherlands and Belgium, I don't know about Austria. He's definitely not dark. His complection is lighter than the Dutch player Philip Cocu and Luc Nilis of Belgium

Last edited by saxonwold; 01-03-2014 at 11:36 PM..

 
Old 01-03-2014, 11:08 PM
 
237 posts, read 465,306 times
Reputation: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler86 View Post
You use pseudo science to claim two guys looking similar but they look nothing alike...

http://es.uefa.com/MultimediaFiles/P.../802136_w2.jpg
http://www.footie.co.za/wp-content/u...Van-Basten.jpg
Ask any british islander if that guy would be thought as ethnic brit or more like dutch or german in the Uk.

Even in your pseudoscience I would beat you If I want and jim morrison and van basten look nothing alike... morrison looks typical white american and van basten look dutch and could pass for german too.

Carrick has quite darkbrown hair in many pictures look black

http://www.footballshock.com/wp-cont...aelcarrick.jpg


Any person who been to the UK would never confuse that guy with anything than british (could pass in ireland too).. never seen those combination of features anywhere else in europe.

And you cherrypick a bad picture of the dutch..

Those students are also from the netherlands.. and they look nothing like british people.. they would stand out in the UK for sure.

http://jouwstad.eu/wp-content/upload...enten-7089.jpg

Ask any british person if those students look like average british students.. they dont... only you keep talking the same over and over because you never left the states.

Talking About height... Im 5'11 on the notch and felt short in holland, in germany I was also below average but less so.
There's no pseudoscience on my behalf, as it's merely my opinion. Simply thinking two individuals looks alike is not pseudoscience. In fact myself, Saxon, and others have deliberately refused to take the pseudoscientific route. You on the other-hand are nothing but walking talking pseudoscience in everything you say.

You refuse to accept or barely comment on Genetic studies, commenting only to dismiss with no explanation.

You use anecdotal evidence, using this world traveled declaration as a badge of expertise. Then you base entire groups of people on little to no understanding of statistical survey, instead always speaking of your impressions and casual observations. We both know there's a high probability you've never been to these places, so it can never be considered real proof.

You're always looking for any ally, which you feel proves you right with a consensus, despite many others of the same background who completely disagree with you.

You use straw-man arguments like running water, and pepper your critics with ad hominems like a spoiled child.

You'll always shut out whatever contradicts you no matter what evidence supports it, and immediately embrace whatever you agree with no matter how little evidence.

You cherry-pick photos, using Irish, Welsh, Scottish examples to illustrate your opinions about the English. And the photos themselves are obviously searched for and chosen for the highest percentage of the look you want, and poor quality lighting fuzziness helps too.

So don't go on here claiming anyone else uses pseudoscience. I'd be surprised if you even know what it means.
 
Old 01-04-2014, 12:18 AM
 
237 posts, read 465,306 times
Reputation: 129
Jim Morrison was 27 when he died, and most of the photos of him were from the periods well before his death. It's hard to say what he'd look like in his 40's, like the the picture you provided of Van Basten. Van Basten might pass as Spanish or certainly French when he was Morrison's age.
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_MT1X_Hpnt_...van+Basten.jpg
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-HsgOK8eOjK...lbolfutbol.jpg
Yes, he could pass for German as well. Germans commonly have Paleo-Atlantid looks.

Carrick has medium brown hair. You don't know what various hair colour names mean.
http://lagalera.cl/wp-content/upload...8b-610x380.jpg
http://img.uefa.com/imgml/TP/players...x324/50909.jpg
That's not the beard of a black haired man. Yes, that is the most common hair shade in England. Probably most common eye colour (blue), and skin tone (fair). Facial features are difficult, and what you think is your subjective opinion not based on any proper research.

I "cherry-picked" a bad picture of the Dutch because you don't like it. Was it not you who suggested the 1998 team because it had more blondes and the looks that you wanted. So you'd rather pick and choose or "cherry-pick" a better team. The larger the number of individuals, the more accurate the assessment. A small number, such as the 1998 team (once you remove the non-natives), might by fluke have a disproportionate number of dark or light. The 1978 team has 27 players who are all ethnic Dutch. You don't like it, too bad.

Just like these Germans you posted
http://www.assist-inc.org/sites/assi...v2_2013-14.jpg
at under 35% are actually not much different from these English in blondness
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7230/7...02e7bd85_k.jpg
You've said only 1-2 out 20 English are true blonde. Is that the case here, and that doesn't count the teachers and children in the first row?

No one is saying, or has ever said the English are as blonde or blonder than the Dutch.
http://jouwstad.eu/wp-content/upload...enten-7089.jpg
Like I've said before, you want to go from 100 (claiming we all say England is equal or blonder than the Netherlands) to 0 (you rarely see blonde hair in England but it's the typical hair colour in the Netherlands). That's just a faulty tactic, let alone that it's very far from the truth. It is obvious there's a large amount of crossover in the England and Dutch photos.

Again you use anecdotal personal experience as proof of height. I could say the same thing, but unbeknownst to everyone I have terrible posture, wear the smallest heel, notice 1 tall person for every 4 short people, have just plain terrible biased unscientific attitudes towards these things. Or maybe I've never even been there and just make things up. No one can ever know.

Last edited by Mmega; 01-04-2014 at 01:32 AM..
 
Old 01-04-2014, 03:05 AM
 
Location: Near Tours, France about 4710'N 025'E
2,902 posts, read 4,079,092 times
Reputation: 1905
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler86 View Post
Britain's culture is atlantic ...
In 2014 there is not such a thing as an "Atlntic culture" form centuries, or even of millenias...

Britain's culture today is a English-derived culture (England makes up about 85% of Britain population and it cculturally had colonized since centuries the other "nations")

English culture is not and has never been an "Atlantic culture"... England is a north sea culture, exactly like Netherlands are. North sea (mare Germanicum) cultures are germanic cultures, they speak closely related germanic language (English, Dutch, Frisian), are protestant-based cultures, similar types of Monarchies, have similar red-brick architectures, are beer-oriented cultures, had the similar influence of the hanseatic culture that had also left long lasting impacts, in a far past they where even connected together thru the doggerland populated by the same gather-hunters, etc. There is not many areas in Europe with a so strong cultural homogeneity than between England and the ofther west germanic countries that lie on the eastern side of the north sea. Even romance countries such as Spain and Italy are much more culturally divergent than England and the Netherlands are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler86 View Post
There is a huge change in culture wheb crossing the english channel, not only speaking about peoples appearance but the social dynamics and cultural background are heavily ridden in the anglospheric direction..
The English channel separate southern England from France... Sure it makes a huge culture gap between both sides because the channel is, like the Alps are the dividing line between Romance cultures and Germanic ones...

But the English channel does NOT separate the British isles from the other continental germanic countries that lie to the east of England (and not to the South like France does on the southern side of the Channel). Those other north sea Germanic countries are strongly related with England on almost every aspect that defines a cultural belonging (language, religion, architectures, types of traditional foods, etc.). The north sea does not constitute a cultural gap, contrary to the Channel, but inversely, this area has constituted since ever a vector of cultural unity that dates back as far in the past in the times when the north sea was dry and constituted a same "continous north European plain". England belong to this cultural and geographical part of Europe since ever.
 
Old 01-04-2014, 04:26 AM
 
Location: Leeds, UK
22,234 posts, read 23,685,317 times
Reputation: 8607
Quote:
Originally Posted by amaroW View Post
LOL! Don't try and put yourself in someone else's shoes.
I am just setting the record straight.


PS: to tell the truth, most recently I was living in UK. I have been shocked how French bashing is so a national sport in UK whereas UK bashing does not exist in France.
We bash every country in the world - Frenchies, Yanks, Aussies, Germans - it's called banter, get over it. Considering how many Brits live in France, we can't afford to hate you.
 
Old 01-04-2014, 07:03 AM
 
831 posts, read 2,720,092 times
Reputation: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmega View Post
Jim Morrison was 27 when he died, and most of the photos of him were from the periods well before his death. It's hard to say what he'd look like in his 40's, like the the picture you provided of Van Basten. Van Basten might pass as Spanish or certainly French when he was Morrison's age.
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_MT1X_Hpnt_...van+Basten.jpg
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-HsgOK8eOjK...lbolfutbol.jpg
Yes, he could pass for German as well. Germans commonly have Paleo-Atlantid looks.

Carrick has medium brown hair. You don't know what various hair colour names mean.
http://lagalera.cl/wp-content/upload...8b-610x380.jpg
http://img.uefa.com/imgml/TP/players...x324/50909.jpg
That's not the beard of a black haired man. Yes, that is the most common hair shade in England. Probably most common eye colour (blue), and skin tone (fair). Facial features are difficult, and what you think is your subjective opinion not based on any proper research.

I "cherry-picked" a bad picture of the Dutch because you don't like it. Was it not you who suggested the 1998 team because it had more blondes and the looks that you wanted. So you'd rather pick and choose or "cherry-pick" a better team. The larger the number of individuals, the more accurate the assessment. A small number, such as the 1998 team (once you remove the non-natives), might by fluke have a disproportionate number of dark or light. The 1978 team has 27 players who are all ethnic Dutch. You don't like it, too bad.

Just like these Germans you posted
http://www.assist-inc.org/sites/assi...v2_2013-14.jpg
at under 35% are actually not much different from these English in blondness
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7230/7...02e7bd85_k.jpg
You've said only 1-2 out 20 English are true blonde. Is that the case here, and that doesn't count the teachers and children in the first row?

No one is saying, or has ever said the English are as blonde or blonder than the Dutch.
http://jouwstad.eu/wp-content/upload...enten-7089.jpg
Like I've said before, you want to go from 100 (claiming we all say England is equal or blonder than the Netherlands) to 0 (you rarely see blonde hair in England but it's the typical hair colour in the Netherlands). That's just a faulty tactic, let alone that it's very far from the truth. It is obvious there's a large amount of crossover in the England and Dutch photos.

Again you use anecdotal personal experience as proof of height. I could say the same thing, but unbeknownst to everyone I have terrible posture, wear the smallest heel, notice 1 tall person for every 4 short people, have just plain terrible biased unscientific attitudes towards these things. Or maybe I've never even been there and just make things up. No one can ever know.
first you dont even know what paleoatlantid is so stop talking about what you dont really know well. I dont want to go further on
the explanation because That would make me go off-topic. The crossover is exaggerated, I can always tell apart britons from continentals because they are product of an isolated variation. saying carrick look continental is like claiming people like noel gallagher or Rooney wouldnt stand out outside UK/Ireland, which would be plain wrong.
 
Old 01-04-2014, 12:40 PM
 
4,690 posts, read 8,613,448 times
Reputation: 1011
It's true that the English culture is a North Sea culture(derived from the Anglo-Saxon culture which was closely or almost identical to that of the Frisians). There's no such a thing as Atlantic culture only in theory maybe. The English language was brought to England by people who lived just across the North Sea in Denmark, northern Germany and northern parts of the Netherlands, it's that simple and it's a fact. The French language is derived from Latin, the result of Latin jargon spoken in Gallia Romana(the name of France under Roman occupation). So the French and English cultures from the beginning arose from different parts, no wonder they don't get along!

Last edited by Rozenn; 01-04-2014 at 05:27 PM.. Reason: Orphaned
 
Old 01-04-2014, 01:38 PM
 
4,690 posts, read 8,613,448 times
Reputation: 1011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler86 View Post
You use pseudo science to claim two guys looking similar but they look nothing alike...

http://es.uefa.com/MultimediaFiles/P.../802136_w2.jpg
http://www.footie.co.za/wp-content/u...Van-Basten.jpg
Ask any british islander if that guy would be thought as ethnic brit or more like dutch or german in the Uk.

Even in your pseudoscience I would beat you If I want and jim morrison and van basten look nothing alike... morrison looks typical white american and van basten look dutch and could pass for german too.

Carrick has quite darkbrown hair in many pictures look black

http://www.footballshock.com/wp-cont...aelcarrick.jpg


Any person who been to the UK would never confuse that guy with anything than british (could pass in ireland too).. never seen those combination of features anywhere else in europe.

And you cherrypick a bad picture of the dutch..

Those students are also from the netherlands.. and they look nothing like british people.. they would stand out in the UK for sure.

http://jouwstad.eu/wp-content/upload...enten-7089.jpg

Ask any british person if those students look like average british students.. they dont... only you keep talking the same over and over because you never left the states.

Talking About height... Im 5'11 on the notch and felt short in holland, in germany I was also below average but less so.
Those kids wouldn't stand out in the U.K., you probably have never been to the U.K. and you also don't know anything about Dutch people either. Even the pictures that Bernie posted of the Irish, those kids are of a much light complexion than the Dutch ones. There isn't a great difference between the Dutch and English in terms of blonde hair, only with people of Scandinavian descent. The reason why you felt short in Holland, is because you're not tall anyway(5'11/180cm), even in Britain. You will just about average. The only sport, where you might feel tall is in soccer. In America, forget it, you're not tall at 5'11', in sports such as football, basketball, hockey, volleyball, you will among the smallest guys. I'm 6'5' and I was still not the tallest guy in my college football and rugby team think again. The Dutch have the tallest average, but not all Dutch are tall. De Boer, Overmars are definitely not tall. I didn't feel any shorter in the Netherlands, the average height is well around 6/6'1' for males. You just have a complex, what about Austrians, they're not tall. There are many British who are quite tall, Britons are not a particularly short people. For example, in 2012, the average height of players of the Welsh rugby team was 6'3(191cm) compared to that of the English rugby players which was 6.2(188cm). The smallest guy on the Welsh team was about your height at 5'10! So if you feeling tall at 5'11', you are wrong.
 
Old 01-04-2014, 03:53 PM
 
831 posts, read 2,720,092 times
Reputation: 177
And there are a big difference between the average dutch and english looks, I repeat for 200 time that countries lime the Uk and France are a battle camp of phenotypes hence the people are much more diverse looking (usually not typical mediterranean or nordic but something in between) compared.to smaller european nations lime the netherlands or denmark who have more of a close-knit family looks between their inhabitants because they are descendants from specific tribes and not a large mixture of different peoples.

Last edited by Rozenn; 01-04-2014 at 05:28 PM.. Reason: Orphaned. Rude too.
 
Old 01-04-2014, 04:14 PM
 
1,954 posts, read 1,946,610 times
Reputation: 1755
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler86 View Post
And there are a big difference between the average dutch and english looks,
The Dutch are taller and slimmer and have a more Germanic look. The British are shorter, less slim and just look British. You can tell them apart most of the time, especially the women, we don't have Adele's over here whereas Britain is full of them. Beyond that clothing style, hair style are usually different too.

When they are driving you can easily tell them apart, the British always drive on the wrong side of the road and put their steering wheel on the wrong side too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top