U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2014, 04:21 PM

22,234 posts, read 23,669,269 times

Advertisements

Britain having more overweight people is a matter of diet and not genetics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler86 View Post
so you guys who live ins the States know better how the british culture is and how the british people look like than someone who actually lives in the Uk and disagrees with you all the time ? (P london, easthome, etc).
And what about this Brit who completely disagrees with everything you're saying? Do you think you know more about British culture and British people than me?

Besides, easthome just romanticizes the relationship between Britain and France. He is eager to convince people that Britain is more like France and Spain than other Germanic nations, which is completely ridiculous of course. P London lives in, well, London, so his experiences will differ significantly from my own (but just as valid, of course).

Where do you live exactly, Traveler86? Do you even live in Europe?

Last edited by Rozenn; 01-04-2014 at 05:21 PM.. Reason: Rude

Old 01-04-2014, 04:21 PM

831 posts, read 2,717,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
The Dutch are taller and slimmer and have a more Germanic look. The British are shorter, less slim and just look British. You can tell them apart most of the time, especially the women, we don't have Adele's over here whereas Britain is full of them. Beyond that clothing style, hair style are usually different too.

When they are driving you can easily tell them apart, the British always drive on the wrong side of the road and put their steering wheel on the wrong side too.
Thags what I have been telling quite a lot here but I get bashed always by americans of british heritage (saxonwold, Mmega, etc) all the time, because they get annoyed when I pointed out the british people doesnt look germanic in the way people from netherlands and other countries in the north do. The dutch people are much more direct and have a more distinctive culture... britain is product of a big blend , similar to france. Its funny how those guys know better how the british, dutch, insert random european group you please... group of people look like, but wheb real british, dutch, german, etc people comes here to correct them they get mad and invent excuses all the time. Even the british culture isnt fully germanic just a big blend of influences.

Old 01-04-2014, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Britain having more overweight people is a matter of diet and not genetics.
Not only fat.. a lot of british islanders are stocky builded.. nothing to do with being fat in every case.. dutch people have an overall more slender build and look more germanic/nordic, blonde hair, etc.

Typical british look like matt hardy or frank lampard.

Old 01-04-2014, 04:40 PM

4,690 posts, read 8,602,561 times
Traveller 86, your jokes that Carrick, Noel Gallagher, Wayne Rooney, both have Irish roots, true. However they would fit in Germany. Not all Germans are so "extremely blonde", plenty of Irish people would fit in the German population. The only funny thing is, they would seem paler.

Are these Germans "less Germanic" too?

1. Famous German colonel Georg Klein.
http://sonosphere.org/tl_files/sono/...eorg_Klein.jpg
2. Dirk Bauermann, German basketball coach
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...n_May_2012.jpg
3. Joachim, the German coach
http://images2.fanpop.com/image/phot...-1063-1666.jpg
4.Mikael Ballack( with the eyes far apart) maybe "hunnish influence", no need for pictures.

Old 01-04-2014, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxonwold View Post
Traveller 86, your jokes that Carrick, Noel Gallagher, Wayne Rooney, both have Irish roots, true. However they would fit in Germany. Not all Germans are so "extremely blonde", plenty of Irish people would fit in the German population. The only funny thing is, they would seem paler.

Are these Germans "less Germanic" too?

1. Famous German colonel Georg Klein.
http://sonosphere.org/tl_files/sono/...eorg_Klein.jpg
2. Dirk Bauermann, German basketball coach
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...n_May_2012.jpg
3. Joachim, the German coach
http://images2.fanpop.com/image/phot...-1063-1666.jpg
4.Mikael Ballack( with the eyes far apart) maybe "hunnish influence", no need for pictures.
Ballack..has sorbian ancestry, and joachim low is from southwest germany..and even with quite dark hair he looks germanic, he doesnt have preceltic/pregermanic face like noel gallagher , mr bean or michael carrick.. british faces are easy to spot.

Old 01-04-2014, 04:46 PM

9,992 posts, read 9,954,352 times
Again I agree with a lot of what traveller is saying but I think hes just guessing.

As dunno said my judgement will be different to someone that lives in another aide of the country none of our judgements are wrong just different. Dutch people do seem slender looking and not just because of weight difference but the build aswell but I'm just again judging by observation. British people do seen shorter in comparison to other Northern Europeans.

As for cultural groups the UK is Germanic and France is a Latin culture polar opposite of Britain. Though northern France may overlap a bit. The similarity between the Netherlands and England is very obvious especially if you ignore the language barrier and focus on architecture, countryside, music and cuisine.

What the hell is a British face? Is there a France face, too? funny.

Old 01-04-2014, 05:06 PM

4,690 posts, read 8,602,561 times
The Dutch are one of most tolerant societies in Europe and the world. Yes there are differences between differences between Dutch and British culutures, but they all belong more or less to the North Sea cultures. Both nations are North Sea nations, thus it would be completely normal for them to have similarities. The British culture also has a high tolerance, since Britain was one of first European nation to have a proper representative parliament despite being a monarchy. Both were sea-merchant nations and very entrepreneuring people. There is so much similarities between Britain and other countries of Northern Europe. No wonder why those people can adjust easily into a British culture. something which you could not, perhaps. No wonder why you hate British or anything which is English-speaking. Yes, there would be of course more Celtic influence in Britain than in the Netherlands, nobody is denying that. Nevertheless, British culture is not a Mediterranean-derived culture, that is nonsense that only a real fool will accept. French is derived from Latin which is a Mediterranean-derived one, thus in its essence would be totally different. I can only speak for myself, no excuses I have given. I went as far as to present over and over credible scientific evidence proving how close the British are actually not just culturally but also genetically. I speak Dutch and have a very good knowledge of Dutch culture.

Last edited by Rozenn; 01-04-2014 at 05:31 PM.. Reason: Orphaned/Personal attacks

Old 01-04-2014, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
Again I agree with a lot of what traveller is saying but I think hes just guessing.

As dunno said my judgement will be different to someone that lives in another aide of the country none of our judgements are wrong just different. Dutch people do seem slender looking and not just because of weight difference but the build aswell but I'm just again judging by observation. British people do seen shorter in comparison to other Northern Europeans.

As for cultural groups the UK is Germanic and France is a Latin culture polar opposite of Britain. Though northern France may overlap a bit. The similarity between the Netherlands and England is very obvious especially if you ignore the language barrier and focus on architecture, countryside, music and cuisine.

What the hell is a British face? Is there a France face, too? funny.
I mean faces that you would never see in continental europe like noel gallagher, michael carrick, simon pegg or ringo starr.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or