U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 07:47 AM

506 posts, read 1,268,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geggo View Post
I am not sure if you are able to answer this question if you have never been to the UK.

Any European cultures are closer to the British culture than America.
I guess I must have explained myself in a bad way.

I went to school outside London for a while, Middlesex to be exact.
Eventhough I am Swedish, I ended up being part of the exchange program TO Middlesex University.
I had never been to the UK PRIOR to that exchange. Does that clear things up???? What I was trying to explain was that, eventhough this was the first time in the UK, both for me and the other exchange students from Radford Univerity (Virginia, USA), I found that I had a much more similar culture and way of thinking compared to the "proper" American exchange students.

Old 06-06-2011, 08:53 AM

858 posts, read 1,424,461 times
[quote=Mr_Jonas;19465386]I guess I must have explained myself in a bad way.

Not really, I was just not reading thoroughly enough - sorry for that.

Old 01-01-2014, 12:27 PM

4,690 posts, read 8,613,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HonestMind View Post
Netherlands Is closer to north-western germany,flanders and denmark than It's to England.

My bet would be northern france, both are kinda reserved people, with similar looks, usually medium height and brown haired (true blondes are relatively uncommon in britain compared to other places in northern/north-western europe I have been to), despite the fact of britain being in northern europe It always called my attention that the british don't look like other northern europeans but rather an intermediate group like the french people, specially northern half of france. They also have some unique things like trying to prove masculinity in both Uk and Ireland you dont see anything like this in countries like scandinavian ones, netherlands or germany, people are also much more direct in the latter ones, whom dont care about being overly polite (unlike the british), neither they have this obnoxious attitude that you can genrally find among British/Irish youngers.

And about the Angles and Saxons they affected more from a linguistical point of view, they didnt not take any major effect on the DNA of the whole population, even in eastern shores of the UK have been tested predominantly Native briton DNA.
Lies, lies, lies. Since when were the French a reserved people? Northern French are closer to Belgians, Swiss, southwestern Germans first than they would be to the British/Irish any day. France shares a natural border with those nations. Flanders is a region which stretches from southern Netherlands to northern France( e.g. Pas de Calais), Alsace-Lorraine was a one time part of Germany and a German dialect was spoken there. Switzerland with the regions of France just across the border. Yes I do not deny that there was a Celtic connection between northern France and Britain, but that also included Belgium and southern Netherlands, the Belgae tribes who were in southern Britain to have even come to Ireland were also found all over Belgium and southern Netherlands(south of the Rhine). In terms of pigmentation, over-all the U.K. and Ireland are lighter than northern France. Germanic influence in the U.K. is more common in the eastern parts than western parts, becomes very low in Ireland. Anglo-Saxon influence in Britain is not as low as you quoted it is, that's false. Half of British males have the same Y-chromosome sequence as most Danish and northern German males, this is a scientifically proven fact by geneticists at the University College London in 2011! So it would be ridiculous for you to say that the Anglo-Saxons did not have an impact.
An article referring to it.
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...jvaJVCx80FrJ9g
Weale et al earlier in 2002 , also shows that after comparing populations of Central England towns and those of North Wales with those of Norway and Friesland. The Central English were found to be indistinguishable genetically to those of Friesland( northern Netherlands) in the Y-chromosome haplotypes distinct from the Welsh ones. So for you to say that the British do not look Northern European is a joke, because both the U.K., Ireland are located in Northern Europe anyway. There are many true blondes in the U.K. over-all more common than in France, but becomes somewhat less common as you go westwards away from "the traditionally Anglo-Saxon regions".

Old 01-01-2014, 12:40 PM

831 posts, read 2,720,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxonwold View Post
Lies, lies, lies. Since when were the French a reserved people? Northern French are closer to Belgians, Swiss, southwestern Germans first than they would be to the British/Irish any day. France shares a natural border with those nations. Flanders is a region which stretches from southern Netherlands to northern France( e.g. Pas de Calais), Alsace-Lorraine was a one time part of Germany and a German dialect was spoken there. Switzerland with the regions of France just across the border. Yes I do not deny that there was a Celtic connection between northern France and Britain, but that also included Belgium and southern Netherlands, the Belgae tribes who were in southern Britain to have even come to Ireland were also found all over Belgium and southern Netherlands(south of the Rhine). In terms of pigmentation, over-all the U.K. and Ireland are lighter than northern France. Germanic influence in the U.K. is more common in the eastern parts than western parts, becomes very low in Ireland. Anglo-Saxon influence in Britain is not as low as you quoted it is, that's false. Half of British males have the same Y-chromosome sequence as most Danish and northern German males, this is a scientifically proven fact by geneticists at the University College London in 2011! So it would be ridiculous for you to say that the Anglo-Saxons did not have an impact.
An article referring to it.
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...jvaJVCx80FrJ9g
Weale et al earlier in 2002 , also shows that after comparing populations of Central England towns and those of North Wales with those of Norway and Friesland. The Central English were found to be indistinguishable genetically to those of Friesland( northern Netherlands) in the Y-chromosome haplotypes distinct from the Welsh ones. So for you to say that the British do not look Northern European is a joke, because both the U.K., Ireland are located in Northern Europe anyway. There are many true blondes in the U.K. over-all more common than in France, but becomes somewhat less common as you go westwards away from "the traditionally Anglo-Saxon regions".
You are very desperate looking for a thread of more than 2 years about the english people. And no english people are not really germanic (besides language) and neither blonde people are that common among their natives, just ask any forum member living in the UK, in most of the UK redheads are commoner than true blondes, which speaks about how blonde british people aren't really that common at all.

Even in kent, yorkshire, etc most english natives look closer to Irish than to germanics.

Old 01-01-2014, 01:44 PM

64 posts, read 58,989 times
The Netherlands.

Old 01-01-2014, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HonestMind View Post
Netherlands Is closer to north-western germany,flanders and denmark than It's to England.

My bet would be northern france, both are kinda reserved people, with similar looks, usually medium height and brown haired (true blondes are relatively uncommon in britain compared to other places in northern/north-western europe I have been to), despite the fact of britain being in northern europe It always called my attention that the british don't look like other northern europeans but rather an intermediate group like the french people, specially northern half of france. They also have some unique things like trying to prove masculinity in both Uk and Ireland you dont see anything like this in countries like scandinavian ones, netherlands or germany, people are also much more direct in the latter ones, whom dont care about being overly polite (unlike the british), neither they have this obnoxious attitude that you can genrally find among British/Irish youngers.

And about the Angles and Saxons they affected more from a linguistical point of view, they didnt not take any major effect on the DNA of the whole population, even in eastern shores of the UK have been tested predominantly Native briton DNA.
Pigmentation of the British and Irish reflects their geographic location in northwestern Europe. The average hair color is brown combined with usually light eyes and a relatively quite pale complexion, quite often freckled skin and this reaches a climax in Ireland. Ireland ratio of blue eyes, is one of the highest in Europe. Blondes are found everywhere, but more common in regions facing the North Sea, this has been explained due to historical circumstances. Red hair the other Northern European marker is common and much more frequent than anywhere else in Europe, but more common in the north and west, less common in regions where Germanic people strongly, strange isn't it. Northern England by itself has a higher ratio of red hair than Ireland and Scotland. While in France the most common combination is dark hair and dark eyes with an intermediate skin complexion. Here blondes, light eyes, pale/freckled skin complexions are more common in the north facing England, in Normandie, Bretagne and other regions of the northeast.
According to Candile et al(2012), the GWAS pigmentation study comparing 4 European countries, Ireland, Poland, Italy and Portugal found Ireland to be the over-all lightest in all aspects skin, hair, eye pigmentation. The same cannot be definitely said about France, so I wouldn't call the U.K. and Ireland intermediate. I believe you are just being bias. The more reserve quality of the U.K. is a perfect northern European trait, this is seen even with the Netherlands with Frisians being more reserved than other Dutch and strict too, in Germany those in the north are much more reserved than those in Bavaria for example who are more flamboyant, happy beer drinkers enjoying life! In Belgium, the Flemish are much more reserved and stricter than the Walloons. So you must not be more familiar with the other Europeans, thus you make up things with your imagination. Masculinity? Are you all there? British(especially English people) got their Germanic genes from Anglo-Saxons, Vikings( the most powerful Germanic tribes), who were very masculine warriors, conquerors. No surprise, the British build the largest empire in the history of mankind so far, at least in our era. I wouldn't call that "trying to show their masculinity", in the 20th century, France was invaded twice by Germans. On the other hand, Germans got beaten twice while trying to invade England! In terms of culture, continental countries closest to England are Netherlands, Belgium and their most challenging foe, Germans. They are less passive than the French and a re much more hardworking nations, the British are entrepreneuring people, sports such modern soccer, cricket, rugby,etc... were also "invented" in England and sports became big businesses first in England. Colonies which were British-run became more successful, more efficiently than the French-run ones. So I couldn't call them that similar.

Old 01-01-2014, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler86 View Post
You are very desperate looking for a thread of more than 2 years about the english people. And no english people are not really germanic (besides language) and neither blonde people are that common among their natives, just ask any forum member living in the UK, in most of the UK redheads are commoner than true blondes, which speaks about how blonde british people aren't really that common at all.

Even in kent, yorkshire, etc most english natives look closer to Irish than to germanics.
You are clueless of anything concerning the British Isles, I do not need to ask, I'm of English ancestry myself and I have been to England as well. Not just that I have scientific evidence to back up. Instead of relying on what people tell you in blogs, rely on scientific that's more credible than your words. There are certainly no proof that there are more redheads than blondes, you're just imagining things. Red hair is the rarest hair color in Britain and the world or maybe that's the new lie that you and Don are spreading online. English people are Germanic and Celtic on a Dna level, and the closest Germanic people to them are those living in the Netherlands, it has been proven scientifically, unlike the nonsense you're writing, there's no genetical difference between the Central English and Frisians, they're identical. The Cornish show a much stronger Celtic component than the other English, so this put them between the English and the Welsh. I'm not desperate, you are, I am just telling the truth. Your agenda of portraying British, and other English-speaking whites as southern Europeans. A bunch of lies and garbage. Blonde hair is common among English people, but brown hair is more universal, apart from maybe some indigenous Swedish and Finnish populations, brown hair is still the commonest hair color in all other European populations. You confuse the terms German with Germanic, a good part of the German population is Slavic as well in the east. Wendish and Sorbs are German people too. My maternal ancestry is from Zevenaar in the Netherlands very close to the German border(Do you even know where that is?). Nevertheless I would never consider myself a German by any means even if some of our family is on the other side of the border. I consider myself Germanic. If you thought I was desperate to be German, you clearly thought wrong. My ancestry is Anglo-Saxon and Dutch. The Dutch, espcially Frisians are much closer to the English than they would to someone in Austria! Are you an Argentinian German? Your myth about all Germans being blonde was enforced by Nazi theory only, the majority of Germans are brown-haired. The difference in terms of blonde hair frequency between the English and Dutch is not as significant as you put it. In my own family, we have plenty of brown-haired Dutch people. The Dutch blondeness is similar to the eastern British people.
Not suprising, it is again a Dutch university, the Rotterdam Biomedical Center biologist which published in 2008, the genetical map of Europe showing with which population of Europe does the U.K. and Ireland cluster with the most. The answer was the Netherlands! Guess who has the last laugh?
The Irish are over-all lighter in skin, eye and hair pigmentation than Poles. So your whole agenda trying to paint the British Islanders as "these dark people" is far from reality. The average Irish skin tone is even lighter than the European average.

Old 01-01-2014, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler86 View Post

Scandinavians and Dutch people will adjust easily to an Anglo-Saxon cultured country than a French/Spanish-speaking person. This already shows the similarity between the cultures. The frequency of people with English fluency would be much higher in the Netherlands and Norway than in France for example.

Old 01-01-2014, 06:40 PM

831 posts, read 2,720,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxonwold View Post
Scandinavians and Dutch people will adjust easily to an Anglo-Saxon cultured country than a French/Spanish-speaking person. This already shows the similarity between the cultures. The frequency of people with English fluency would be much higher in the Netherlands and Norway than in France for example.

Yes, you could say the same about bolivian people speaking spanish, the fact that they speak a romance language don't turn them automatically into people of latin heritage. The same for the portuguese in Angola.

Does the fact that english people speak a mostly western germanic language into ethnic germanics? Definitely not.

And no, Im not saying that all germans are blond and british are dark haired, but as a whole germans are blonder than british people, and they definitely have the germanic look which the british (or even english alone) dont, the british look more "celtic" (which in reality is the pre-germanic/pre-celtic british looks)

Old 01-01-2014, 09:32 PM

237 posts, read 465,306 times
Probably the Netherlands. They commonly look similar in facial features, and the languages are close. Dutch people can learn English easily and can assimilate into Britain easily without standing out. Genetically it's fact that the English received a substantial amount of transfer from the Netherlands and northern Germany. This is pretty accurate
http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/2541/lundman001fq0.jpg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or