Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2010, 11:43 PM

168 posts, read 726,452 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm a recent graduate of university & am living & working in Honolulu. I have visited Ireland several times & love it there. I would really like to move to Ireland & work sometime in the next year to 18 months.

I've been researching moving there & being able to work full time & it seems quite difficult for an American citizen. The only legit way I can come up with is to get an Irish company to sponsor me but the chances of this working seems pretty slim.

I was just wondering if anybody out there had any tips or suggestions or helpful information that would help me with this process. Thanks for all your help everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2010, 08:49 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,407,960 times
Sponsporship is a good way but good luck finding a job, there arent any. The next 12 to 18 months would not be a good time to emigrate IMHO.

Old 07-16-2010, 10:14 AM

3,980 posts, read 8,987,938 times
Unfortunately there aren't many ways to legally move over.

If you are in a highly skilled profession where there aren't any qualified Irish (like specialty doctor, engineer of some sort, etc) then you might find work.

If you work for an American company where they sponsor you is another way (again, you'd need to work for a company that has an office in Ireland).

Or...you can marry an Irishman! This how I ended up there! (But you'll need to be married for at least 3 years prior (I think).

Or...you can just take an extended holiday, rent a house etc. I think the max is 90 days.

If you have a grandparent that was an Irish citizen and have proof of that, then you can also apply for citizenship.

The work situation is dire over there. Many, many Irish are actually leaving (once again) to find work in other countries.

I can't believe you want to leave Hawaii! That gorgeous weather, all the wonderful food! Spend an eight month long winter in Ireland and you might change your mind...j/k!

Old 07-16-2010, 11:33 AM

168 posts, read 726,452 times
I do love Hawaii. I grew up in the midwest so I'm used to 4-5 month BRUTAL winters so Ireland would still beat that. But I have always love Ireland (& most of what I've seen of Europe too) and would love the chance to live there. Probably not forever but who knows. I moved out to Hawaii with the mindset that it'll probably only be for a few years. But I'm 22 & single & have the chance to do whatever I want so I might as well enjoy it while I can lol

I don't have any great skills lol I got a Business degree & am an office assistant right now. Not exactly in line with the doctor or engineer crowd lol I will look into the grandparent option tho. I know my grandmother was born in Ireland but moved to America as a young child. I'm not sure if she still had her Irish citizenship tho b/c she was an American citizen.

This is so complicated & difficult!
Thanks for you help!

Old 07-16-2010, 01:29 PM

683 posts, read 1,468,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katiem8 View Post
Hi, I'm a recent graduate of university & am living & working in Honolulu. I have visited Ireland several times & love it there. I would really like to move to Ireland & work sometime in the next year to 18 months.

I've been researching moving there & being able to work full time & it seems quite difficult for an American citizen. The only legit way I can come up with is to get an Irish company to sponsor me but the chances of this working seems pretty slim.

I was just wondering if anybody out there had any tips or suggestions or helpful information that would help me with this process. Thanks for all your help everyone!
If you have a EU nationality you can live and work in any EU country including Ireland.

Is 1 of your Parents (or Grandparents) Spanish, Italian, Irish, French, Dutch, German, Portuguese, Maltese, Greek, etc etc etc?

If your anwer is Yes, then you can acquire a EU passport through Blood Right.

Jus sanguinis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Nationality and Citizenship Act allows any person with an Irish grandparent to become an Irish citizen "by registering in the Foreign Births Register at an Irish embassy or consular office, or at the Department of Foreign Affairs in Dublin." Such an individual may also pass his entitlement to Irish nationality on to his children by registering in the Foreign Births Register even if he chooses not to take up citizenship himself, provided he has registered with the Foreign Births Register before the birth of those children. Section 16 of the Irish citizenship law of 1986 grants the interior minister authority to confer automatic citizenship on any applicant of "Irish origin or affiliation" although this is sparingly used.

Old 07-18-2010, 01:47 AM

41 posts, read 90,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clongirl View Post
Unfortunately there aren't many ways to legally move over.

If you are in a highly skilled profession where there aren't any qualified Irish (like specialty doctor, engineer of some sort, etc) then you might find work.

If you work for an American company where they sponsor you is another way (again, you'd need to work for a company that has an office in Ireland).

Or...you can marry an Irishman! This how I ended up there! (But you'll need to be married for at least 3 years prior (I think).

Or...you can just take an extended holiday, rent a house etc. I think the max is 90 days.

If you have a grandparent that was an Irish citizen and have proof of that, then you can also apply for citizenship.

The work situation is dire over there. Many, many Irish are actually leaving (once again) to find work in other countries.

I can't believe you want to leave Hawaii! That gorgeous weather, all the wonderful food! Spend an eight month long winter in Ireland and you might change your mind...j/k!
I absolutely agree with you.

Old 07-18-2010, 06:49 AM

507 posts, read 878,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edu983 View Post
If you have a EU nationality you can live and work in any EU country including Ireland.

Is 1 of your Parents (or Grandparents) Spanish, Italian, Irish, French, Dutch, German, Portuguese, Maltese, Greek, etc etc etc?

If your anwer is Yes, then you can acquire a EU passport through Blood Right.

Jus sanguinis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Nationality and Citizenship Act allows any person with an Irish grandparent to become an Irish citizen "by registering in the Foreign Births Register at an Irish embassy or consular office, or at the Department of Foreign Affairs in Dublin." Such an individual may also pass his entitlement to Irish nationality on to his children by registering in the Foreign Births Register even if he chooses not to take up citizenship himself, provided he has registered with the Foreign Births Register before the birth of those children. Section 16 of the Irish citizenship law of 1986 grants the interior minister authority to confer automatic citizenship on any applicant of "Irish origin or affiliation" although this is sparingly used.

A German grandparent does not entitle you to anything, a parent yes,grandparent no.

Old 07-19-2010, 10:45 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,407,960 times
If your grandparent was born there they are Irish Citizens, they can have dual nationality. The burden is on you to prove with (I would guess) your birthcert, your parents birthcert and grandparents birthcert. Its probably best to call the Irish Embassy in the US to find out for sure.
The job prospects are pretty low. Good luck though.

Old 10-04-2014, 01:02 PM

4 posts, read 6,134 times
Good luck. I have a UK passport and can legally move to Ireland but ....I'm an American who is 56 years old. No luck finding work. Age discrimination is more rampant there than here in the states. Guess I'll stay in Seattle until I retire.... It's a pity because I would like to live near my dear friends there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe