U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2010, 01:14 PM

27,998 posts, read 46,384,744 times

Advertisements

Switzerland may be famous for its banks, but not many people know about the one that lies hidden underneath the Alps. The cavernous underground vault, which is protected round-the-clock by armed men in black fatigues and has blast- and bullet-proof doors, is strong enough to withstand terrorist attacks and natural disasters.

Read more: Switzerland's World War II Bunkers Get a Second Life - TIME
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2010, 06:13 PM

791 posts, read 2,384,204 times
I once stayed in a youth hostel in Martigny, western Switzerland that had originally been a bomb shelter.

Old 07-26-2010, 01:09 AM

14,253 posts, read 14,750,492 times
The majority of apartment blocks in Switzerland have nuclear shelters. They were (are?) required by law when the apartments were built. They are designed to withstand a 2 megaton blast at 25 kilometers or 2 kiloton and 2.5 kilometers. Most Swiss use them as storage areas.

Old 07-26-2010, 10:55 AM

5,167 posts, read 10,487,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
The majority of apartment blocks in Switzerland have nuclear shelters. They were (are?) required by law when the apartments were built. They are designed to withstand a 2 megaton blast at 25 kilometers or 2 kiloton and 2.5 kilometers. Most Swiss use them as storage areas.
You can say that again .... !!

The one we had in our house was so full of *stuff*, I doubt if we would ever be able to get in and close the door.
Uhmmm .... We did keep the huge wrench available within sight and reach ....

BTW, what a lot of people also are not aware of, is that many tunnels have emergency equipment stored.
That equipment can be quickly organised in a full blown emergency shelter, complete with medical facilities.

@ Jaggy:
Have you ever seen those *things* that are in the ground in front of the tunnels ever come out of the ground to create a barrier ?
I asked the *locals* around those areas, and none of them (whom I spoke to) have ever seen them erected ....

Old 07-27-2010, 12:52 PM

14,253 posts, read 14,750,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
You can say that again .... !!
@ Jaggy:
Have you ever seen those *things* that are in the ground in front of the tunnels ever come out of the ground to create a barrier ?
I asked the *locals* around those areas, and none of them (whom I spoke to) have ever seen them erected ....
I lived in Geneva for a number of years and never saw them erected.

Some of the "facilities" you see in Switzerland are pretty impressive. For example, in the Valais, they have an airstrip with no buildings or hangars. Then you see the huge blast proof doors in the side of the mountain and you know where the aircraft are. A guy I worked with, an air traffic controller in his military life, told me they could get the planes out of the mountain and into the air in 90 seconds.

In addition, they have designed some highways to be used as military airstrips and test them from time to time.

Old 07-27-2010, 10:08 PM

5,167 posts, read 10,487,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
they could get the planes out of the mountain and into the air in 90 seconds.
Yep, they can, and I have seen them do it, but not quite 90 seconds ...
Also one of the reasons why they chose the F/A-18 as their newest jet fighter. The landing gear is so robust (designed for hard carrier landings), it is perfect for their type of country.

For a country, that has never been in a major war, they are pretty well organised and ready for any emergency.
Although, an Army that has an official bicycle as one of their transportation methods, is strange ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or