Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 05:04 PM

25 posts, read 29,068 times

Advertisements

If you wish to study in France, try the CampusFrance website. You may find it helpful:

CampusFrance - Education en France - Study in France - Estudiar en Francia - Etudier en France - Study abroad in France - Centre pour les Etudes En France - CEF
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2010, 05:06 PM

90 posts, read 292,834 times
I recall reading that the University of Strasbourg has a strong IR program. OP, if you are considering doing a masters in France, I recommend reading the AERES Evaluations of different programs. University evaluation is still a very new world in France, so there isn't a lot of information about the quality of various masters programs. I recommend researching the programs you are interested in and trying to speak with some former students (if possible).

Old 08-02-2010, 02:57 AM

11 posts, read 43,480 times
Thanks so much everyone for your advice, I'm looking into Aix-en-Provence and other places in France! I found out about American University in Paris, started my application on that..when applying for universities in France, there's an option to live in dorms right?

Old 08-02-2010, 07:14 AM

10,662 posts, read 9,279,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nina Jay View Post
I found out about American University in Paris, started my application on that..when applying for universities in France, there's an option to live in dorms right?
The university application and the dorm room application are two different things!
You have to go and apply via the CROUS - here's the link to Crous Paris, but there is one in each university city:

www.crous-paris.fr : Le portail internet du CROUS de PARIS

Old 08-02-2010, 01:36 PM

American style dorms don't exist in France. Areas with a large grouping of dorms are known as "cités universitaires," there are two in Paris on the outskirts of the city. Basically they are a large group of dorms that are separated from academic buildings (which are scattered throughout the city anyway, there are no campuses).

Aside from the CROUS university residences, you can find residences known as "foyers" scattered throughout major French cities that are also for young people in dorm-style living. They do have specific rules though, such as no overnight guests and the like, which are quite strictly enforced.

Old 08-03-2010, 07:00 AM

5,806 posts, read 11,824,327 times
The crous university residences and "foyers" would make us prisons appear as **** hotels in comparison : beware ! and their food is nothing short of disgusting (served or rather sploshed on tv dinner aluminum trays like the one served to inmates).
The comfort standards are much lower than even on third-grade American campuses!

Old 08-03-2010, 07:26 AM

10,662 posts, read 9,279,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
The crous university residences and "foyers" would make us prisons appear as **** hotels in comparison : beware ! and their food is nothing short of disgusting (served or rather sploshed on tv dinner aluminum trays like the one served to inmates).
The comfort standards are much lower than even on third-grade American campuses!
Very true.
If you have the possibility to live elsewhere, don't hesitate!

Old 08-03-2010, 04:21 PM

11 posts, read 43,480 times
So if possible, try not to stay in a CROUS or "foyer", got it! I'm still researching and figuring out the tuition to study in Europe, but it's pretty pricey huh? the tuition and everything in France compared to some other European countries? I'm also considering studying in Ebinburgh, would general tuition be less expensive there?

Old 08-03-2010, 04:59 PM

The French public university system is almost free (around 300-500 years per year for a masters program). Then you have private "écoles" which specialize often in business and engineering, these are generally up to around 7,000 euros per year. Then you have the elite "grandes écoles," which are very elite business and engineering schools. I haven't researched these too much, but I'll use the example of Sciences Po (which kind of falls into a grey area with grande écoles). For masters programs they use a sliding scale to determine how much students should pay, but if you're not an EU citizen you pay the most expensive, 12,500 euros per year. This is still much cheaper than a comparable masters program in an American university, but getting pricey by European standards.

Finally, if you're looking at the American University of Paris, of course it's expensive. It's an American university and therefore has the same tuition fees (except they get to charge in euros, oh boy).

Old 08-07-2010, 09:12 PM

16,284 posts, read 42,968,010 times
Just go for it.

I've spent most of my adult life just blindly going to new countries, and it generally seems to work out, and when it doesn't work out, then you find your way better to what you really want to go, and where you really want to go.

No matter what you do, by TRYING it, you can check Paris off your list of things to do and try, and have some great stories from it.

You only live once. If you are young, you will lose nothing from the experience, and only gain from it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe