U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 11:02 AM

202 posts, read 504,343 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I need to choose a language course as part of my degree. I plan to relocate to either Prague or Krakow after graduating, but unfortunately neither Polish or Czech are offered. The choices I do have are French, Spanish, German, or Russian.

I know that Russian would be a good choice in that it will help me learn Polish or Czech, but would one of the other languages be better for travelling and communicating in the EU in general?

BTW: I do intend to learn the language of my host country once I move there.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2010, 11:24 AM

513 posts, read 996,892 times
The most common language in Poland nowadays, besides Polish of course, is English. They teach it in every school. Older generations who lived during communism speak also good Russian since it was mandatory to learn it but almost nobody learns Russian now in Poland. Most useful language in EU out of those you mentioned is German because there are over 100 million native speakers in EU and it is an official language in a couple of countries. I lived in Krakow for three years, it's probably the nicest city in Poland, I bet you'd lke it. Can't say much about Prague but heard good opinions too.

Old 08-05-2010, 12:31 PM

69 posts, read 169,696 times
Learning Russian would make an easier transition to Polish and Czech but you can't benefit with neither of those languages in Europe because everybody's too proud here and the only foreign language they speak is English and sometimes, like in France, even that's not good enough.

If you're going to any European country learn either their local language or English. You can't do much with Russian in Czech Republic. Although Slavic languages sound alike, they're not easy to use in every day conversation. Besides that, all generations from 84' should know English well enough.

If you're studying for the beauty of the language, pick French. You can't miss with it. You can always learn Czech or Polish once you're there and believe me, you will because you'll have to.

Old 08-05-2010, 03:26 PM

513 posts, read 996,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blowitout View Post
You can always learn Czech or Polish once you're there and believe me, you will because you'll have to.
This is very true.

Old 08-05-2010, 06:04 PM

441 posts, read 1,182,980 times
Go German for sure.

Russian is not a good idea for Czech/Poland. While it might give you general overview about language concepts (conjugation etc.); it's easy to learn those concepts during 2 weeks when really needed. No need to waste time with another language for it unless you plan to relocate to Russia or Ukraine.

Majority of people born 1980+ speak English to certain degree. Second language of choice is German in Central Europe region.

Old 08-06-2010, 05:11 AM

634 posts, read 1,499,185 times
Every country in Europe has it`s own language. Portugues, spanish, french, german, english, italian, etc. If you want to travel around europe, you will be fine with english. But the french and spanish people are very proud of their language and DONT WANT TO TALK ENGLISH.

In the "ELSASS" ( Alsace) in France, much people speak german. (Its the area which is close to the german border) and, of course, Mallorca is called the "second Germany" because there are very much germans during hoiday season and much which relocated / moved there.

polish and czech is only spoken in Poland or Czech.

BTW... i heard, that it is great to speak russian in Sunny Isles / Miami ??? :-) looool....

Melanie / Germany

Old 08-06-2010, 06:08 AM

I think I'll go with either German or French. Thanks everyone!

Old 10-02-2010, 12:58 AM

3,136 posts, read 3,349,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcoyoteloco View Post
I think I'll go with either German or French. Thanks everyone!
Either is good,but German better for Eastern Europe.

Old 10-02-2010, 02:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
Either is good,but German better for Eastern Europe.
Actually, I've changed my mind and decided to go with Spanish

Old 10-02-2010, 03:36 AM

38,002 posts, read 55,785,174 times
German, since you already know English. But I would take Polish or Czech language course when you arrive. I noticed that ( in Poland ) there are everywhere Polish courses offered to peoople who want to learn it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or