Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 06:37 PM

415 posts, read 449,546 times

Advertisements

My friend wants to go from Paris to Milan, Italy by train. Lousy idea, imo, but okay. I looked at the schedule and it's about 7 hours at least. But Milan and Munich is half the distance and still 7 hours. I thought Munich was pretty nice, so I could meet him up there. But what's the best way to get there from Milan? How would he get from Munich back to Paris?

And, what's there to do it Munich? Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2011, 03:58 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,275,143 times
I live about 2 hours from Munich, so it's a day trip for me. I usually take the train.
The downtown area is very picturesque; the rathaus is photogenic.
Munich has world class museums, there's always something to see/do.

Dallmayer has a cool store; the Hofbrauhaus is worth a meal and a beer. The Chinese Garden is nice.
They've got a Hash House Harrier group if you're a *unner.

YouTube - "The Chinese Beer Garden" Newguy2120's photos around Munich, Germany

You can look at RyanAir, Easyjet or germanwings flights from Munich to Paris.
When will this trip occur? You're going to go through the Alps on train to Milan.
The view would be spectacular. Milan will have better weather and has some nice architecture.
They're different; one is not better than the other.

Heck, why not just Paris and Rome or Florence?

Old 04-13-2011, 08:19 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,924,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallbanger View Post
My friend wants to go from Paris to Milan, Italy by train. Lousy idea, imo, but okay. I looked at the schedule and it's about 7 hours at least. But Milan and Munich is half the distance and still 7 hours. I thought Munich was pretty nice, so I could meet him up there. But what's the best way to get there from Milan? How would he get from Munich back to Paris?

And, what's there to do it Munich? Any ideas?
Tell your friend to also look at Eurolines: Europes leading low cost travel coach company - Eurolines and see if it's cheaper. Usually coaches are cheaper than train. I was in the UK in December and wanted to travel to Spain but train was horribly expensive and coach was much cheaper but took longer. So, there's a tradeoff. Also, look into flying on a low-cost airline as you might get a good deal too over the trains.

Old 04-13-2011, 08:55 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,851,411 times
Quote:
My friend wants to go from Paris to Milan, Italy by train. Lousy idea, imo, but okay.
Why do you think *lousy* ?
What would you have liked to do ?

<<<But what's the best way to get there from Milan?>>>
So you will be in Milan, and your friend is in Paris ?

1 - From Paris to Milan - Several routes possible, but the quickest would be: Paris, Dijon, Lausanne, Brig, Iselle, Milano.

2- From Munich to Paris : Muenchen, Stuttgart, Mannheim, Saarbruecken, Metz, Epernay, Paris.

3 - From Milano to Muenchen : Milano, Como, Chiasso, Zuerich, Lindau, Kempten, Buchloe, Muenchen. (other routes possible)

Question: Why train in the first place ? If you have the time, you can make stop-overs, all over the place.
*Discovering* Europe by train, is not a bad idea at all, *IF* you plan it right.

I attached a small map to give you an idea what your travels may look like.

Green = High speed trains (really high speed)
Purple = Main lines
Orange = Other lines
Attached Thumbnails
Travelling in Europe - Help-paris-milano-muenchen.jpg  

Last edited by irman; 04-13-2011 at 09:03 AM..

Old 04-13-2011, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
I live about 2 hours from Munich, so it's a day trip for me. I usually take the train.
The downtown area is very picturesque; the rathaus is photogenic.
Munich has world class museums, there's always something to see/do.

Dallmayer has a cool store; the Hofbrauhaus is worth a meal and a beer. The Chinese Garden is nice.
They've got a Hash House Harrier group if you're a *unner.

YouTube - "The Chinese Beer Garden" Newguy2120's photos around Munich, Germany

You can look at RyanAir, Easyjet or germanwings flights from Munich to Paris.
When will this trip occur? You're going to go through the Alps on train to Milan.
The view would be spectacular. Milan will have better weather and has some nice architecture.
They're different; one is not better than the other.

Heck, why not just Paris and Rome or Florence?
Thank you. Would be sometime at the end of May. Paris to Munich isn't an option. You would have to go back from Milan to Paris. The train takes forever, though. It's only 250 or so miles and it would take 7 hours from what I've seen. I suppose they are driving very slowly because of the mountains.
What do you mean by the last sentence? Don't go to Munich? You can go there from Milan, I think. So that's not a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Tell your friend to also look at Eurolines: Europes leading low cost travel coach company - Eurolines and see if it's cheaper. Usually coaches are cheaper than train. I was in the UK in December and wanted to travel to Spain but train was horribly expensive and coach was much cheaper but took longer. So, there's a tradeoff. Also, look into flying on a low-cost airline as you might get a good deal too over the trains.
Thank you. I will check it out.
Really? It was more expensive than by plane? Did you go to Spain anyway?

Old 04-13-2011, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
Why do you think *lousy* ?
What would you have liked to do ?

<<<But what's the best way to get there from Milan?>>>
So you will be in Milan, and your friend is in Paris ?

1 - From Paris to Milan - Several routes possible, but the quickest would be: Paris, Dijon, Lausanne, Brig, Iselle, Milano.

2- From Munich to Paris : Muenchen, Stuttgart, Mannheim, Saarbruecken, Metz, Epernay, Paris.

3 - From Milano to Muenchen : Milano, Como, Chiasso, Zuerich, Lindau, Kempten, Buchloe, Muenchen. (other routes possible)

Question: Why train in the first place ? If you have the time, you can make stop-overs, all over the place.
*Discovering* Europe by train, is not a bad idea at all, *IF* you plan it right.

I attached a small map to give you an idea what your travels may look like.

Green = High speed trains (really high speed)
Purple = Main lines
Orange = Other lines
Lousy because it takes forever. As I said, I think it's because of the mountains. The other routes don't have mountains, but it's probably still gonna take you 7-8 hours to get to France from Germany. I like flying. I always fly. Only use the train if I really have to ( stranded at airport etc. ).

What do you mean by "why train in the first place"? You mean car is better? I personally find driving in Europe is pretty confusing.

Old 04-13-2011, 11:54 AM

2,205 posts, read 3,331,648 times
You could look up rail connections in Europe via railteam.com

The webseite is an alliance of the most important railway operators like DB, SNCF etc.

Airtravel is also very attractive and fast.

Old 04-13-2011, 12:22 PM

61,662 posts, read 87,041,175 times
I like this web site:
Munich City Guide
http://www.famoushostels.com/travel-...o-do-in-munich
http://gogermany.about.com/od/cities...Top_Sights.htm

Old 04-13-2011, 01:26 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,924,056 times
Quote:

Thank you. I will check it out.
Really? It was more expensive than by plane? Did you go to Spain anyway?
Yeah. Trains are pretty expensive. Yes they are "scenic" but so are coaches as well.

Trains are scenic and fast but are the most expensive.

Coaches are scenic as well, not as much as trains, and they take longer to get to your destination but are cheap.

Airplanes are usually cheaper than trains and the quickest. But of course, no scenery. Don't go with a major airline. Find a lowcost airline that flies out of France. I'm not sure which French lines fly out of there to go to Italy but see if Ryanair, easyjet, etc. has anything.

I didn't end up going to Spain in the end because we went into London and spent too much money there

Old 04-13-2011, 01:58 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,851,411 times
Quote:
Lousy because it takes forever. I think it's because of the mountains.
Not always. The main reason is that many routes stop at many places.
The stops at *in between* cities is *too long for some people,
and too short for others*.
Traveling by train can be compared to taking a boat cruise,
just getting drunk on the way to the next port and then sight seeing ....
then back on the stupid boat and getting drunk again ...
Quote:
I like flying. I always fly. Only use the train if I really have to ( stranded at airport etc. ). What do you mean by "why train in the first place"? You mean car is better? I personally find driving in Europe is pretty confusing.
Your answer *I like to fly* is why I asked in the first place.
Traveling by train thru Europe has its advantages,
if you like relaxed traveling and looking out the window.
So more for *advanced aged people*.
Then with the right *passes*, you can stop along the way,
unless you are just one of those who do a whirlwind tour
and in the end look at pictures of yourself (like you do not know what you look like ???)
and then can not figure out where you were.

Car is only better If and When the need arises to have a car.

If you would have been more clear in your statements, we would have understood better.

It now *seems* that one of you likes to visit Paris, and you like to visit Milano.
Unless you are in the fashion business, why Milano ?
The surroundings are nice, but without a car ???
Apparently, you do not want to see anything in between.
you must have never been in Europe else you would not ask what to see.
There is so much info available, to find on your own ...

Anyway, I gave you the possible routes if you still want to go your friends *lousy way*.
Else convince your friend to fly.

Last edited by irman; 04-13-2011 at 02:06 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe