Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 12:00 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,353,110 times

Advertisements

Agreed. The definition of Latin in America has virtually nothing to do with the origin of the word. In America, Latin refers to a hybrid culture of Spanish, Indigenous and African cultural features. The only connection to the old-world Latin is the use of the derivative language, Spanish and the Roman Catholic religion among the "Latin" population.

At university I told a (rather naive) girl that I was taking Latin and her response was to ask me if I was into Salsa dancing. I said, "Yes." ;-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2010, 09:42 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpingRoo View Post
Romania has nothing to really do with Latin culture, besides French for historical reasons. Visiting Romania most definitely feels like you are 100% in Eastern Europe.

Even the food eaten has nothing do with other Latin cultures; it is food that is found in surrounding regions. Same goes with traditional clothing, music, religion, etc.

Hope that helped.
But that's not Slavic, which was the OP question. Romania's cultural roots are more from the Ottoman era, with music, food, etc. reminiscent of Turkish. Romania, Yugoslavia, Bulgaria, are more similar to Turkey and Greece and the Middle East, than to Poland or Czech or Ukraine. Romania is also somewhat influenced by the Romany culture, which remains very widespread there.

Old 12-26-2010, 10:19 PM

73,004 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
But that's not Slavic, which was the OP question. Romania's cultural roots are more from the Ottoman era, with music, food, etc. reminiscent of Turkish. Romania, Yugoslavia, Bulgaria, are more similar to Turkey and Greece and the Middle East, than to Poland or Czech or Ukraine. Romania is also somewhat influenced by the Romany culture, which remains very widespread there.
It was a matter of whether Romania is Latin or Slavic. Romania is not Slavic. It does have some Turkish influences as well as Roman.

Old 12-26-2010, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Agreed. The definition of Latin in America has virtually nothing to do with the origin of the word. In America, Latin refers to a hybrid culture of Spanish, Indigenous and African cultural features. The only connection to the old-world Latin is the use of the derivative language, Spanish and the Roman Catholic religion among the "Latin" population.

At university I told a (rather naive) girl that I was taking Latin and her response was to ask me if I was into Salsa dancing. I said, "Yes." ;-)
Latin can have many meanings to many people. When I am using the term "Latin", I am not referring to Latin America. I am referring to the language family and some of the Roman influences.

Old 01-04-2011, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpingRoo View Post
Romania has nothing to really do with Latin culture, besides French for historical reasons. Visiting Romania most definitely feels like you are 100% in Eastern Europe.

Even the food eaten has nothing do with other Latin cultures; it is food that is found in surrounding regions. Same goes with traditional clothing, music, religion, etc.

Hope that helped.
Actually, there is a corn dish in Romania called mamaliga. It is like polenta, which is also an Italian dish.

Old 02-25-2011, 02:04 AM

1 posts, read 6,669 times
One of these days, Romania and its people will get the respect they deserve based on their rich history, culture and linguistic practices. One of these days....
Until then, a Latin based culture surrounded by Slavs and historically having been overrun by such diverse peoples will never be known for its true origin by a bunch of ignorant intellectual wannabes.
So incredibly tired of having my country, its history, language and people abused to this level, ironically at times even by its own.
So incredibly tired of having to justify my heritage in terms of others, and having to take second best to someone because they feel their heritage and their culture is somehow better or purer.
Will never cease to be amazed by how some identify themselves by simply stomping on others. This poor little blue rock is shrinking of embarrassment of its inhabitants.
We keep trying to be "smart" by making others "dumb".
We keep trying to be "pure" by claiming others are not.
We keep trying to prove we "know" when in reality, it takes a lot more than learning a language, visiting a country, or speaking to a couple of its people to truly "know" a land.
At the end of the day, we are all having massive identity crisis; so we need to make ourselves feel better by doing the sadly human thing we do: deny others their identity.
We are a Latin people. But the gypsies, the Hungarians, the Russians, the Turks...have slowly chipped away at who we are, have encroached on our land, and our practices, and are now jumping on their soap boxes trying to disrobe us of our history and our heritage.
One of these days, the true Romanians will awaken and they will take their country back....if there is anything left in that country of the true Romanian spirit.
DESTEAPTATE ROMANE!!!!

Old 02-25-2011, 05:44 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,054,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPwn View Post
Are Romanians kind of mixed phenotypically, like Kazahks or something? ie they have no one particular 'look' to them
I don't think any one group is really any more 'mixed' than another, since races aren't primary colours but blends.

Old 02-26-2011, 08:46 AM

7 posts, read 28,082 times
Romania - latin roots. Slavic neighbors. Yes, we do understand a respectable amount Spanish and even more Italian without taking courses. I can read an Italian newspaper without needing a dictionary to understand what an article is about. I can carry on a basic conversation without a problem. I've lived in the US for 25 years and have not lost that ability. Had I lived in Italy most likely I would've become fluent in no time.

Old 03-10-2011, 04:40 PM

1 posts, read 6,594 times
Haha I've read sooooo much cr@p around here and other forums romanians are first hand latins that influenced the slavic culture not the other way. We have nothing to do with turkish, slavs etc. We just flirted a bit with the greeks and that's about it.
Stop posting what you think and try reading actual books that reffere to our history, if you post your opinion then say 'I think' because it doesn't mean it is a fact, we know our herritage and traditions that lived for about 8000 years and still survive. If some romanians have financial problems and are in political wars that doesn't mean we are not latins, actually we are preserved latins, that stood away from the 'upgrade' of the other european latin countries, so if you want a first class latin speak with a romanian

Suntem latini orice ar fi.

P.s. The real name of the region that you call Transylvania is actually Ardeal ( see Sarmisegetuza )

Thx and bye

Old 05-26-2011, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentoria View Post
Romania - latin roots. Slavic neighbors. Yes, we do understand a respectable amount Spanish and even more Italian without taking courses. I can read an Italian newspaper without needing a dictionary to understand what an article is about. I can carry on a basic conversation without a problem. I've lived in the US for 25 years and have not lost that ability. Had I lived in Italy most likely I would've become fluent in no time.
What's interesting is that when I read anything in Romanian, I can at least make a guess of what is being said because I have prior knowledge of French. I just have trouble remembering everything. I'm trying to learn the Latin-based languages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe