Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 05:49 PM

202 posts, read 567,958 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I've read in multiple sources that Poland is one of the most socially conservative countries in Europe, as regards to issues such as homosexuality, abortion, divorce, etc. Also that it is one of the more religious countries, being very devoutly Catholic.

I'm not placing any judgements on this being good or bad, I'm just curious if this applies to Krakow? I've heard that it is a pretty cosmopolitan city with a lot of foreign visitors, so I'd like to know if this has had an effect on its populace.

PLEASE let's not get into an argument about whether the Polish people are right or wrong in their beliefs. Again, I'm not trying to make judgements, I'm just seeking understanding of the social climate of Krakow.

Thanks you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2010, 08:13 PM

512 posts, read 1,183,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcoyoteloco View Post
I've read in multiple sources that Poland is one of the most socially conservative countries in Europe, as regards to issues such as homosexuality, abortion, divorce, etc. Also that it is one of the more religious countries, being very devoutly Catholic.
Until today, a new, liberal president has just been sworn in Poland. The conservative guy has lost. The parliament is also liberal now so changes are coming up. And don't believe everything you read, young generations are more spoiled than in USA, young chicks wear shorter skirts than I wear boxers... But there still are many devout people here who "live" in churches - that's true. BTW Poland is still a good place to find a wife

If you would like to live in a coutry where religion doesn't play any role go to Czech Republic. They don't believe in God over there...

Old 08-06-2010, 09:59 PM

Thanks moskiter. Actually, Prague and Stockholm are my other choices. Politics aside, I've heard a lot of good things about Polish people, that they are very warm and friendly people.

Old 08-06-2010, 10:00 PM

441 posts, read 1,326,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moskiter View Post
If you would like to live in a coutry where religion doesn't play any role go to Czech Republic. They don't believe in God over there...
Many do. The thing is, the church no matter if catholic or protestant were doing everything from wars to atrocities to Czechs since what..12th century?

That's why anything remotely associated with church is frowned upon in CZ. Even things like gay marriage, abortions, light drugs etc. are legal not that much because of "liberal enlightenment" but to be in opposition to traditional church values.

Old 08-06-2010, 10:12 PM

I was just looking at the Eurobarometer Poll 2005 survey. What I found interesting about CZ is that while only 19% believe in a "god", fully 50% say they believe in a "spirit or life force", which tells me they are maybe a spiritiual but not religious people. Which is pretty much what I am.

But back to the topic at hand: I would really like to hear more from some Poles, if you don't mind sharing your thoughts?

Old 08-06-2010, 10:30 PM

441 posts, read 1,326,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcoyoteloco View Post
I was just looking at the Eurobarometer Poll 2005 survey. What I found interesting about CZ is that while only 19% believe in a "god", fully 50% say they believe in a "spirit or life force", which tells me they are maybe a spiritiual but not religious people. Which is pretty much what I am.

But back to the topic at hand: I would really like to hear more from some Poles, if you don't mind sharing your thoughts?
That's explained in my post. I think Czech believes more or less the same as other nations around, just church played horrible role in their history, thus the frowning on anything church or organized religion related.

I am not a Pole, but I worked there 10+ years combined with Czech. Regarding Poland, don't worry. If you are coming from America it will look less conservative to you unless you lived in some areas of LA or similar districts.
Especially younger generation (1970+).

Old 08-06-2010, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meet4 View Post
...If you are coming from America it will look less conservative...
Sad but true I'm sure, especially as I'm from the South.

But at least I have the good sense to live in the cool little pocket of weirdness that is Austin, TX.

Last edited by elcoyoteloco; 08-06-2010 at 11:32 PM..

Old 08-07-2010, 10:06 AM

512 posts, read 1,183,397 times
Stokholm is very expensive, prices are twice as high as in Krakow. My English teacher in Krakow was American from NY, he said he'd never move back to USA. Life in Krakow is really fun, for sure funnier than in Austin, TX (Austin is so boring for me, I've been there). There are more people walking at night in city center of Krakow than during a daytime sometimes, especially on weekends... People in Krakow are like everywhere else in Europe. Here you got some footage about Krakow.

YouTube - ‪Kraków In Your Pocket - Kraków, Poland Highlights‬‎

Old 08-07-2010, 10:14 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,868,743 times
They are maybe conservative, but I find Polish women especially nice (not talking about the physics here, they look physically like any women in Eastern/Northern Europe, that is generally pretty, but of the character) . Having met Russian and Romanian women, I find Polish women much more easygoing but at the same time more demure, and less interested in one's purse- so I guess a conservative education has its positive!

Old 08-07-2010, 11:22 PM

@moskiter: Thank you for that video. I'm sorry you had such a bad time here! I've never heard Austin described as "boring" - too damn hot and humid, but not boring!

But we're a very small city, and a love of barbecue, southern food and blues-rock / country-rock are pretty much required to have a good time here. This isn't really the place for more urbane pursuits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe