Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2010, 02:48 PM

28 posts, read 77,233 times

Advertisements

So, we finally moved from Austin to Paris!!

Husband just got a job in Paris, and we moved out here already, but we're not expats, as he was hired on directly by the company. We're temporarily staying in a hotel, until they can find us a temp apt. But the time for school is nearing and we really can use some help!

Son is 6.5 years old and was speech delayed, but now talks pretty normal, except for a few grammatical mistakes that he still continues to make. We are looking for any affordable (trying to stay under 12,000 E a year max) bilingual school or even possibly a good regular french school, as I've read that it may be best to just immerse the children as young as possible.

We're staying in Paris, but during the week I've been here, I've realized that Paris is a little, no a LOT, dirtier than what I expected. I'm not used to walking everywhere and having cigarette smoke blown into my face every 10 steps. Or having to watch out for dog poop everywhere. I'm just thinking that maybe the suburbs would be better for us, since I don't really see anywhere for my son to ride his bike, and am not sure if I want him to grow up in the city. Unless there are districts here in Paris that I haven't visited and are more family friendly??? (and still fit into our budget??)

Reading other threads, west of paris seems to keep coming up, but can anyone tell me where?? Specific names of towns/cities/areas that other expats live? We are looking to spend max 1500 E on rent for a 2 bedroom, and of course less would be better. Is there anywhere also in/near the suburbs easily accessible to transportation into the city, so my husband does not have to commute a lot?

Finally, i'm really into organics, so i was thinking that the areas where they have expats already would have this more readily available to me....or farmer's markets....do any areas like this even exist?

Thanks for any help!

Edit: when i mentioned "suburbs," I do not mean too isolated (no teeny towns), as I'm really more of a city girl, but just want my son to grow up like i did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2010, 06:49 AM

10,662 posts, read 9,321,367 times
If you want affordable housing in the suburbs, it will not be in great areas, I'm afraid...

Old 08-20-2010, 10:46 AM

I found a list of apts near Neuilly that seem reasonable, but unlike the furnished apts listings, they do not give very many photos....

Location Neuilly-sur-Seine (92200) et 5 km autour 3 pièces et plus à partir de 2 chambres jusqu'à 1.500 euros à partir de 60 m² | PAP

I think we're going to spend some time this weekend going to these areas, and getting a better idea. If anyone else has any info...appreciated.

Old 08-20-2010, 11:18 AM

24 posts, read 84,034 times
Default Paris food scene

Have a look at this article How To Eat Organic In Paris | Venere Travel Blog

...and this Paris & Ile de France Bio & Organic Produce - AngloINFO, in Paris & Ile de France, France

There is a nice market not far from Metro Lena. I think it's called Place d'Lena market (open Wed and Sat). I don't know how far you are from this place.

For property ads you may want to try craigslist Paris paris apts/housing for rent classifieds - craigslist

Hope this helps.

Old 08-21-2010, 05:54 AM

19 posts, read 84,399 times
Welcome to France Austinkmomma !

Check this very informative page on the US embassy website : Living in France

There's a list of bilingual schools located in and around Paris :
http://france.usembassy.gov/root/pdfs/paris-schools.pdf (broken link)

Paris is indeed not as clean as many foreigners might expect (it could be a lot worse though considering its density !). There's a few cities in the near suburbs which are cleaner and more family-friendly (less crowded/noisy).
You mentioned the area west of Paris and Neuilly. I'm not sure you'll find a 2 bedroom appartment in Neuilly below 1500€. But Suresnes, Saint-Cloud, Garches, Vaucresson, Rueil-Malmaison are all very nice cities too, and a bit cheaper (not that cheap though). But the commute to Paris is not necessarily easy/fast for some of them.
It actually all depends on where your husband works exactly, and where your kid will go to school.
Just know that cities along the A-train (RER) line are mostly very nice (west and east of Paris too).

If you have more specific questions, I'd be happy to help through PM.

Old 08-22-2010, 02:13 PM

Thanks Arny! I will definitely pm you once I get my brain together. I've been googling and researching for days now, and am having a hard time remembering all the names of towns.

For schools, I've narrowed it down to the Eab Monceau (I realize it may be very difficult to get in), Marymount, Le Petite Cours, L'Ermitage, and I heard some good mentions about Forest International (though they have not responded back yet).

Husband's work is in Gennevilliers, and he doesn't mind commuting an hour to work...we're trying to keep it at an hour or under, if possible.

Yes, coming from the American suburbs, central Paris is a little dirty for me. I'm definitely looking for somewhere where I can open the window and feel like fresh air is really coming in. Son is dealing with asthma in the city, so that's another reason to go somewhere where the air is fresher, and we don't have to deal with cigarette smoke while walking on all the compacted streets. It would also be nice to live near a nice park for my son too....though I know I may not be able to get everything I desire.....

Thanks for also mentioning the truth about Neuilly - that it's over my budget. I went there briefly and it also seemed still too busy/crowded, but we were right off the main streets, and not where the houses/apartments are. So, maybe we need to go further out than that.

I'll check out those cities you mentioned, and see where they are. Thanks so much! And thanks to the previous poster who put up the organic links. I've read them and have printed them out! Merci!

Old 08-22-2010, 05:52 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,023,398 times
I am by no means a Paris expert, and it sounds like you already are receiving expert advice, but I just had to say: Would moving to Rouen be unthinkable?
There are several bilingual schools there.
Our son lives and works in Paris now, but last year he was in Rouen and we visited him there, and my husband and I fell in love with the place. Very pedestrian, lots of green spaces, not so busy. It is only an hour north by train, but probably one and a half hours by car.
I could ask my kid if he has any ideas to assuage your situation, as well.
What a wonderful opportunity for your family!

Old 08-25-2010, 06:58 AM

Thank you. We will look into Rouen.

We toured Petit Cours the other day and it was a shocker. The school itself is very small, of around 60 children, and my son would be in a class with 1st, 2nd, and 3rd grade. The shocker was the facilities...tiny!! His classroom is really small, about 10 x 12 feet.

Eab Monceau does not have openings, but submit the application and get on a wait list. And still waiting to hear back from L'Ermitage.

On another note, can someone help me that's familiar with shopping around here....

I need to buy a blow dryer, hair clippers, curling iron, drinking glasses, Pyrex, and some Vision cookware (glass cookware made in France), and would like to hear advice on stores that have reasonable prices. Where do you guys normally buy these things at?

I went to L'clerc or something like that, and the hair clippers were all around 40 some euros! I'm looking for something more affordable, if there is such a thing here.

Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe