U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 04:03 AM

1,372 posts, read 2,594,953 times

Advertisements

Are they more like Sweden, Norway, Finland, etc, or more like Poland, Czech Republic, and Russia?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2010, 05:36 AM

112 posts, read 252,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MimzyMusic View Post
Are they more like Sweden, Norway, Finland, etc, or more like Poland, Czech Republic, and Russia?
Neither Scandinavian (Finland s not part of Scandinavia) nor Russian. They are Baltic/ Finno-Ugric (Estonia).

Old 08-22-2010, 05:52 AM

32,060 posts, read 32,956,580 times
Latvia & Lithuania were part of the former USSR/communist block. So I believe Russian is still a dominant second language in these countries.

Old 08-22-2010, 09:14 AM

292 posts, read 808,695 times
They are from Balto-Slavic group so they are related to Russia and other Slavic countries but not as much as those Slavic countries are related to each other. Genetically they are mostly the same DNA as Finnish or Estonian people (uralic). There are big Russian minorities in both countries and most people I imagine speak Russian (either as first or second language).

Old 08-22-2010, 02:20 PM

1 posts, read 8,009 times
What do you mean by "similar" ? Generally, both countries are similar to bigger part of North-Central-Eastern Europe - both have beautiful old cities (anything from medieval, baroque architecture and beyond), predominantly flat or hilly terrain with lots of greenery, forests and lakes. Language wise - Russian is much more common in Latvia, since about 30% of population is Russian. In Lithuania only 5% population is Russian, but most people at least understand Russian to some degree (older generation is more likely to be near fluent).

Old 08-23-2010, 09:19 AM

5,835 posts, read 10,779,975 times
Lithuania has a long of strong historic ties to Poland. Similar attitudes (strong resistance to Communism and historic Russian occupation, and a lingering distrust of Russia). Although the language is different. In Chicagoland SW side, Lithuanian immigrants lived in generally the same neighborhoods as Polish immigrants.

Old 08-23-2010, 01:16 PM

153 posts, read 221,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankCostello View Post
They are from Balto-Slavic group so they are related to Russia and other Slavic countries
I'm not so sure about that.
Russian has influenced both languages but they still are of completely different language branch. They seem and sound worlds apart.

About countries - not the same as Russia but also not exactly Europe.

Old 08-23-2010, 10:52 PM

3,322 posts, read 4,464,183 times
The Baltics are unique.

Sure, surrounding countries have an influence but the Baltics are the Baltics.

Old 08-23-2010, 11:21 PM

13,856 posts, read 22,955,873 times
I'd guess they have similarities to Estonia. Although I think Lithuania and Poland were once part of a joint-kingdom or something. Lithuania, like Poland, is historically a Catholic country. Although I don't think they're practicing Catholics as often as the Poles.

Old 08-24-2010, 05:14 AM

32,060 posts, read 32,956,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
I'd guess they have similarities to Estonia. Although I think Lithuania and Poland were once part of a joint-kingdom or something. Lithuania, like Poland, is historically a Catholic country. Although I don't think they're practicing Catholics as often as the Poles.
During the 14th century, Lithuania was the largest country in Europe: present-day Belarus, Ukraine, and parts of Poland and Russia were territories of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania. With the Lublin Union of 1569, Poland and Lithuania formed a new state, the Polish–Lithuanian Commonwealth. The Commonwealth lasted more than two centuries, until neighboring countries systematically dismantled it from 1772 to 1795, with the Russian Empire annexing most of Lithuania's territory.
In the aftermath of World War I, Lithuania's Act of Independence was signed on 16 February 1918, declaring the re-establishment of a sovereign state. Starting in 1940, Lithuania was occupied first by the Soviet Union and then by Nazi Germany. As World War II neared its end in 1944 and the Nazis retreated, the Soviet Union reoccupied Lithuania. On 11 March 1990, Lithuania became the first Soviet republic to declare independence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or