Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 04:05 PM

251 posts, read 825,359 times

Advertisements

irman - you're funny lol

How tolerate is police in France if you exceed speed a little bit.
For example , if in Canada limit is 100km/h , no police will stop you if you drive 110km/h (actually up to 120 km/h).

P.S. when I tried to obey the speed limit in Germany, I was completely surprised that nobody else does it... I was driving 120-125 on autobahn on the right lane, and hundreds of Porshes and Jaguars were just flying on the left lane...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2010, 04:47 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,848,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleLeaf View Post
when I tried to obey the speed limit in Germany, I was completely surprised that nobody else does it... I was driving 120-125 on autobahn on the right lane, and hundreds of Porshes and Jaguars were just flying on the left lane...
Not a clear statement or question.

When you say *tried obey the speed limit*, you need to state what the speed limit actually was at that particular stretch.
If there was NO speed limit posted, then 130 KPH is the speed that is suggested and anything above that is OK, until you get in trouble (accident). The insurance may balk and put you on hold ....
*Tried* ... ? I can not figure out why you had to *try*, unless you had a really old car, since most modern cars now do give you a bit of help with *Cruise Control* or *Tempomat* as it is called there. But then I have no idea what you were driving then.

I also would not say that when you drove there, there were hundreds of Porches and Jaguars ....
Really ... ??? Hundreds ... ???
When did you stop counting ? two hundred, three hundred ?

LBNL, If and When there is a speed limit posted on the *Autobahn*, it is usually about 100 KPH. I said usually !!!
So 120 - 125 ???

In essence, driving on the right hand lane, at a slightly higher speed then posted will seldom put you at odds with the German Police on the Autobahn.

Now .... you drive in stretches where there is *roadwork* going on .... You'd better behave !!! More cameras, there on the Autobahn, then you might suspect !!. Been there, done that Mapleleaf !!!
missed an 80 KPH sign at night (01:30) and saw only the flash of the camera at the end of the stretch. Figured, there was nobody working there that late at night. Uhuh, figured wrong !!!
That was the only time (lived and worked there for umpteen years) I sadly disobeyed the law. Learned my lesson, because the citation was a lot of money !!!

In the end I do have to *agree* with your *concerns*.
Traffic laws/rules almost anywhere in the world, are more a philosophy then a law ....

Old 09-18-2010, 12:30 AM

irman, thanks for describing your driving experience in Germany! lol

Actually my question was:
How tolerate is police in France if you exceed speed a little bit?
For example , if in Canada limit is 100km/h , no police will stop you if you drive 110km/h (actually up to 120 km/h)? So, if inFrance I see limit 100km/h, canI exceed by 10-15 km/h?

Old 09-18-2010, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
That was the only time (lived and worked there for umpteen years) I sadly disobeyed the law. Learned my lesson, because the citation was a lot of money !!!
You see! and I'm driving above 20 years and never got any tickets and never even was stopped by police . You just have to know the limits! and I want to know about those limits before I travel
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe