Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 02:37 PM

506 posts, read 1,402,254 times

Advertisements

Something is fishy. Poland ranka a tad too high for me to buy the whole report.....and sunshine is SO overrated, there are so many factors that are important. Were I curremtly live we have alot of sunshine, but it do I enjoy it more - nope!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2010, 10:14 PM

512 posts, read 1,183,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Nice place to visit, the UK, but I would rather take a bullet than live there. Nonetheless, I find it hard to believe that its worse than places like Albania, Serbia, Ukraine, Russia, Slovakia, Belarus, etc.
Can you see these countries that you mentioned in the table? But the title is indeed misleading: "UK the worst place to live in Europe" while only ten countries are being considered. However if it comes to public safety for instance all-white and all-Christian Poland seems to be safer than multiracial and multireligious England...

Here is the explanation from the editor about Poland's net income:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauren Pope
We’ve spoken to our researchers who have confirmed that they took the Polish net household income as Euro rather than Zloty. The correct figure should have been £7,986.

Obviously both they and we are very sorry for this mistake and I’m updating the website as we speak.

It doesn’t change the top and bottom rankings, but Poland’s position does change – slipping down one place to 5th, just behind Germany.

All we can say is we’re sorry.

Kind regards

Lauren Pope
IMHO what kind of researchers (plural) would make such a mistake An average person knows that people don't make such money in countries east from Germany, Austria and Italy... However the table shows that high income doesn't guarantee more money and better life if we take into account the purchasing power of this money...

Old 09-24-2010, 02:11 AM

2,957 posts, read 12,722,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Nice place to visit, the UK, but I would rather take a bullet than live there. Nonetheless, I find it hard to believe that its worse than places like Albania, Serbia, Ukraine, Russia, Slovakia, Belarus, etc.
I'd take Russia over the UK any day of the week.

I've been to both.

Old 09-25-2010, 02:07 AM

4,432 posts, read 6,981,866 times
I dont believe it and they put Spain the highest. Well Spain has more serious issues with Unemployment than UK.

Old 09-25-2010, 04:08 AM

2,226 posts, read 5,107,478 times
Not really, a lot of submerged economy.
Many people counted as unemployed are not really unemployed, for example, pre-retired, Rural Employment Plan, etc, etc.

Old 09-29-2010, 10:19 PM

2,059 posts, read 5,747,294 times
It's very common in The Netherlands to work less than 5 days per week, especially amongst working mothers. 37 hours is the absolute maximum the majority of the country is prepared to work, rather than the average they will work. Work/life balance is very important to Nederlanders.

Old 10-02-2010, 01:11 AM

6,037 posts, read 5,946,596 times
Find it a little difficult to see how Spain ranks so highly even after a property crash and taking into consideration that 20%+ of the Spanish work force are jobless.

Old 10-02-2010, 12:25 PM

30,895 posts, read 36,943,634 times
I question the validity of some of these measures. Spending on health care doesn't equate to living longer. Just look at the US. We spend gobs of money on health care, but we've got an obese population that doesn't even live as long as the English.

Same is true for retirement ages. Some studies show that people are actually happier and live longer when they work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe