Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2010, 04:42 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,801,905 times

Advertisements

Hi there
For ages now my dh has been talking of leaving the us and moving to france. We are originally from ireland so have dual citizenship as do our children.

Anyone have any opinions? We have both been there many years ago and loved it. We can speak a little french, our kids cannot. They are 11 and 10.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2010, 05:30 AM

321 posts, read 960,401 times
Well, the kids will learn French in a flash, so that is nothing to worry about.

The real question is what you expect to find in France. Each country has its advantages and disadvantages, so you really need to compare what you would be giving up to what you would be getting. And also, where would you live in France? If you can settle in Paris, it obviously has everything that anybody could possibly want -- at a price. If you choose a smaller place, you might love it for the natural beauty and relaxed way of life, etc., but your children are arriving at an age where they would risk being bored silly, even though satellite television and the internet greatly attenuate the distress compared to olden times.

Old 11-10-2010, 09:12 PM

6,900 posts, read 8,267,952 times
I would love to live in Nice at for at least one year. Paris, too, maybe 2yrs.

Old 11-11-2010, 12:26 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,187,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerouac2 View Post
...but your children are arriving at an age where they would risk being bored silly, even though satellite television and the internet greatly attenuate the distress compared to olden times.
Kerouac2, you are undoubtedly right, but your comment strikes me as such a sad, sad, sad observation on what it means to be a child - and a human being - at this point in time.

Living in a small town with the opportunity to be out in the woods, fields and streams was probably the greatest piece of good fortune I had in my life....and I was of the generation that first dived into black rock n roll, rock n roll concerts and all the hoopla that attended the birth of a distinct "Youth Culture."

Didn't miss a beat, long before it caught on across the U.S., but still the connection to the real, physical world of this earth has mattered more throughout a life of seventy plus years.

Pascal thought man's problems stemmed from not being able to sit alone in a room, I am inclined to think that they all begin with not going outdoors.

Old 11-11-2010, 07:30 PM

7 posts, read 11,724 times
France is a romatic country. I wish to be there. And I love the Christian Louboutin shoes , which is a famous france brand.
You have to try to teach your kids speak french, so they can accapt the education easier.

Old 11-13-2010, 11:37 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,801,905 times
We still regulate how much time the kids spend on the computer. Believe it or not, we have lived in our development for 6 years and I never see kids out ; only mine. They have no friends here in 60 houses. Now some of that is our fault ; they go to parochial school and everyone else goes to public. But still, you would think after 6 years they would ahve one friend.

When their school friends come over, they spend hours trasping the 200 acre woods behind our house.
I make sure they can socialize outside the computer and xbox.

Old 11-13-2010, 12:55 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,017,299 times
That is a good age for the kids to make the leap, and a wonderful opportunity.
A few years older and they might be more reluctant.
So if you are truly interested in doing this, you should probably begin assembling the paperwork as soon as possible. A move like that might take awhile to accomplish. It would be nice if you could make the kids a part of the planning.
I agree with Kerouc about location, but I would think that you could find a compromise between Paris and rural France.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe