Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 05:49 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,232,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time and Space View Post
I don't know...but after watching this short 36 second video...I'm totally won over to European males...

I get so sick of the false insecure bravado pushed by American males...it's so shallow, and built on a foundation of insecurity...

I just like, prefer, the honesty and openess of European males...not the Brits but like Greece or Spain...the darker southern European types...

YouTube - Fan attacks referee - Big mistake

This is one of the coolest videos I've ever seen...the music, the way that guy runs out to meet his opponent...so focused...

I love it...
Uhh...that looks more like it was in Latin America somewhere, not Europe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2011, 10:34 AM

1,103 posts, read 2,260,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Where I live I have the chance to encounter many as described in the OP. They are mostly easy going.
It all depends on what you consider as 'moronic bs'.
I've heard many opinions from the guys who like motorcycles, sleeveless shirts, and cars. Mostly uninformed, sometimes outright stupid...big and strong as an ox, and thinks like one too.
Maybe you are going to bat for the insecure macho complex guy who is also anti-intellectual. There's plenty of those!
some macho men are stupid, some yuppies are stupid. but many of these car loving "morons" are just simple men who are a lot smarter than people think. and maybe they are the SMARTEST people in the world for avoiding the judgemental, jerkoff lifestyles of these supposedly smart yuppies, keeping life simpler and usually just happier. maybe they want to avoid the judgemental keep up with the jones lifestyle, corrupt federal governments, big federal governments, and remain live and let live people on their own piece of "redneck" property in the middle of georgia working on cars in their garage.

Last edited by CelticGermanicPride; 05-15-2011 at 10:51 AM..

Old 07-20-2011, 12:25 AM

591 posts, read 865,963 times
WOW! you must only see/date trailer trash, or else this is a satire of the worst combination of Memphis, the Ozarks and Jersey Shore, with a little Hells Angels thrown in for good measure.

Old 07-20-2011, 12:47 AM

154 posts, read 391,903 times
I feel the way American men deal with relationships and dating has more macho complex than other cultures....I have lived in several countries and traveled being a young American female who adores all men....BUT

American men are in bad shape strictly speaking of their relationship/dating/marriage attitude...but then American women are just as bad, because they tolerate and accept it as the norm.

I feel like a majority of men in other cultures are smart enough to make clear their intentions, because trying to fool someone does not give them an ego boost. I feel European men are more likely to have fun and not commit if they are not serious, unlike American men.
I feel like American men are more prone to cheat than many other European cultures, because there has been a false excuse made to men that they are more "manly" if they sit around and stare like a teenager who has never had sex, at other women they dont have the balls or assets to get.

Not that you cant find losers with emotional issues in every country, but I do feel like American men are bad for this. Of course middle eastern and arabic men are a million times worse.

I feel like SOME European cultures are more mature about WHAT they like , WHO they like and having the BA11s to go after it while also (or more so) continuing to appreciate it longer or atleast better. American men seem increasingly less grounded, because it seems American men are always trying to become the next best thing, have the next best thing and have an almost arabic ego race about having an upperarm in the sex/relationship world.

While the new generation females like myself can see through this, it does not intimidate , turn on or impress.....it is just sad . I feel men and women are being cheated in America by the male social programming regarding relationships/marriage. Not that women are perfect! Actually this weakness of American men to not be straight forward and constantly needing to offend women to keep up their ego, makes them look more femanine. When men act like t his I literally imagine a big gross hairy Vagina being packed away in their breifs. Men trying to keep up with their own ego begin to remind me of catty women sometimes.

I also like older men , which you would think would be easier to date....but they are the WORST!...because they are still using ego driven tactics from 1983.

My italian lover was much more straight forward than most American men, my Irish lover was much more straight forward than American men, my English lover was.......well....he cried alot but was really nice. Spanish men had alittle of that ego thing going on, french men are super cool (although they are not my taste)..french men are very cool about the gender/sexual stuff.

American men def have alot of catching up to do with quite a few other countries when it comes to sexual/relationship straight forward manly maturity. Im not saying men should not be sexual> But real men play around, figure out what their type is or what they like in a person and have the backbone to get it and then know what you have is better for you. American men and American marriages do not keep it real anymore, everyone wants to cheat peoples time in life and share a 3 foot wide bed with their enemy.....

American men are def harder on women regarding looks and I think all of these problems are related to a very ignorant , unimpressive macho complex that even ends up cheating American men out of real happiness and contentment.

Last edited by Anna777; 07-20-2011 at 01:02 AM..

Old 07-20-2011, 01:53 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,179,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticGermanicPride View Post
some macho men are stupid, some yuppies are stupid. but many of these car loving "morons" are just simple men who are a lot smarter than people think. and maybe they are the SMARTEST people in the world for avoiding the judgemental, jerkoff lifestyles of these supposedly smart yuppies, keeping life simpler and usually just happier. maybe they want to avoid the judgemental keep up with the jones lifestyle, corrupt federal governments, big federal governments, and remain live and let live people on their own piece of "redneck" property in the middle of georgia working on cars in their garage.
I think you lost it.
It's not about stupidity, but macho complexes. And, no, it's not about politics or big goverment.

Old 07-20-2011, 09:33 PM

I would not call American men macho, I would say they need improvement with an ego complex ususally only when involving relationships or females. I hang out with men from America and many other countries all the time.....and the complex never shows up until they feel threatened by a female. I think it is only regarding their interactions with women/wives/girlfriends and needing to feel like they are always rejecting which ever female they are with (by looking elsewhere)....it is like an ingrained ego defense tactic.....Its very pathetic and weak looking.

Other than that American men could actually become MORE macho, it would make me thrilled!

Alot of Texan men I have met are actually amazing at being "macho" but without the ego issues against women.....I dont see anything wrong with that combo, it is actually attractive to be around a strong, stable, grounded, tougher kind of guy who does not have resentment or spite out for the ladies in their life so they can feel on top of their game.

American men also vary by state/culture/age. They are not that bad (make great friends!!!), but arent the best in relationship areas at all.

Old 07-20-2011, 09:47 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,165,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna777 View Post
My italian lover was much more straight forward than most American men, my Irish lover was much more straight forward than American men, my English lover was.......well....he cried alot but was really nice. Spanish men had alittle of that ego thing going on, french men are super cool (although they are not my taste)..french men are very cool about the gender/sexual stuff.

American men def have alot of catching up to do with quite a few other countries when it comes to sexual/relationship straight forward manly maturity.
That also comes down to 'exotic foreigner' theory.

As an American overseas, who has spent a lot of time in foreign countries. It is MUCH easier to date non-Americans as they want to have an experience with an American guy, regardless of the experience being shortterm or longterm.

So, I think, any foreigner, your experiences with Italians and Irish and Spanish, it is much easier for them to just be honest and say straight up you aren't looking for a relationship, and the girl will go for it.

When people are of the same nationality, the women usually has other expectations, generally of long-term relationship or marriage or whatnot. So they apply completely different expectations on to those people.

Old 07-20-2011, 10:08 PM

I am talking about observing friends who were citizens of their country, while I was living in foreign countries. Not just by experiences. I love all men, but if I had to pick a definite problem with American men (as a result of a macho complex) I would say I only see it become a problem in their relationships unlike other cultures were it can be worse becaue there is even more chauvinism. I think American men have major ego complexes when dealing with relationships....but outside of that I do not think they are abnoxious in trying to be "macho"

Old 07-23-2011, 11:30 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,512,857 times
Short haircut is macho? I spent 8 years in the military and got use to the short haircut. My wife likes my hair cut this way and is the first to tell me it's time for a trim. I love cars but that doesn't necessarily make me macho. I drive a 2003 Chevrolet Malibu. While I love and respect big fast cars, that's not what I choose to buy.

Old 07-26-2011, 12:27 AM

501 posts, read 1,881,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Many American men have macho insecurity complexes. Buzz cuts, shaved heads, t-shirts with sleeves ripped off, struts, postures, afraid to express themselves in ways that may not be considered macho. Then there are the accessories such as horsepower cars, motorcycles, boots, leather, moustaches, head scarves, etc.
I lived in Germany for 18 years and traveled within Europe. Although some German men seem to have macho insecurities I saw much less of the macho types as in America. The European men are more confident and natural, they let their hair grow longer, don't strut when walking, and dress casually.
American men try so hard to be machos that they represent bizarre caricatures of themselves.
I think you're basing your perspective on the Cinema, than on real life. American culture is available world-wide, but it's just actors playing characters like you find in a book.

America is SO many "types" of people, from cultures ALL over the world!

The best answer I can give you is that only a few American (as glamorized in books/movies) are non-conformists. In parts of the US area culture, conforming is a religion almost.

Also, American Macho as you described is based on class and generation. Older generations made role trade-offs: women ran the households and men made money, took care of status of the family in the community and property maintenance. I know widowers today who can't even make toast because their wives doted on them. Or widows who can't put petrol in a car because their husbands took care of it.

These ideas don't make sense in todays world: husbands are raising the kids and the household, women are working out of the house to support the family. Who does the laundry, yard work or cooking shouldn't matter on the gonads. It needs to be done!

Free spirited people in the USA (as described in your OP), either tend to be Upper Class (like Ché was), or lower class with nothing to loose. Creative Class types (musicians, authors, artists) tend to have society bend the rules for them that are not available to most others in that society, including overlooking their addictions (like Amy Winehouse).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe