Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 05:29 PM

872 posts, read 3,584,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Rhino View Post
I've had this. I don't normally eat anything resembling seafood, but I figured I had to give this a whirl while in Iceland. It was terrible, but in a "hey, you've got to try this" sort of way. They usually serve it with a shot of Icelandic scnapps, the name translates out to "Black Death". This liqour will put hair on your chest.

I went to a restaurant there that served a "Viking Feast" and the shark was one of the appetizers they brought out. At first I was a little irked that they only brought out four small cubes of shark for the two of us, but then I thought about how much rotten shark I actually wanted to eat and it was good enough.

The lamb is amazing. Best lamb in the world there. Actually I made Icelandic stew the other day, froze some of it and just had some. Lamb, leeks, rutabagas, potatoes, rice, onions, carrots and cabbage.

Iceland rules. Words can't describe the scenery.

Too cool. If I go to Iceland, that's one of the first things I'm trying is the shark and schnapps combo meal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2008, 09:19 AM

1,669 posts, read 6,232,976 times
So you are in your 50's and just found out about a country called Iceland recently?

Old 02-16-2008, 08:37 PM
edk

95 posts, read 543,530 times
I read an article by someone who visited Iceland. He said that between the weather and the prices he had never been so cold and so poor in his life.

Old 02-18-2008, 06:02 AM

1,744 posts, read 7,258,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edk View Post
I read an article by someone who visited Iceland. He said that between the weather and the prices he had never been so cold and so poor in his life.
They sell a souvineer t-shirt in Iceland that says "Iceland: Land of great weather and cheap beer". Kind of funny.

Old 02-18-2008, 03:31 PM
LM1

833 posts, read 997,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moving123456 View Post
So you are in your 50's and just found out about a country called Iceland recently?

LMAO this is what struck me about this post as well...

Anyway, I've gotta run. I've been hearing rumors about a place called "Argentina" and need to investigate further

Old 02-26-2008, 12:17 AM

15,860 posts, read 21,427,956 times
I'm studying abroad there this summer so I'm pretty psyched about it. But I'm more interested in what's BELOW the ground than what's above (the program is on sustainable development/alternative energies technology... so a big focus on geothermal energy). I'm not a big one for partying and spas, but the nature more than makes up for that!

Old 02-29-2008, 12:01 AM

172 posts, read 475,893 times
So is anybody going to offer some intel on the females there? I always had the feeling there was maybe a national ordinance against foreigners doing it with anybody's dottir ... gene pool seems amazingly "pristine," at least from what little I've been able to figure without having been there.

Old 02-29-2008, 09:31 PM

469 posts, read 2,735,933 times
No! Don't eat the sharks! Poor, poor sharks. I'm a meat-eater, hardly your stereotypical bleeding-heart vegan, but the way sharks are harvested is horrible. For shark-fin soup, the sharks aren't even slaughtered first, just dragged aboard the ship, have their fins sliced off, and then dumped overboard to bleed to death. A lot of species have become threatened, and I know a lot of people hate or fear sharks, but they're part of the ecosystem. Eat some farm-raised fish or something, leave the poor sharks in the ocean.

Old 03-01-2008, 05:49 AM

1,744 posts, read 7,258,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippienne View Post
No! Don't eat the sharks! Poor, poor sharks. I'm a meat-eater, hardly your stereotypical bleeding-heart vegan, but the way sharks are harvested is horrible. For shark-fin soup, the sharks aren't even slaughtered first, just dragged aboard the ship, have their fins sliced off, and then dumped overboard to bleed to death. A lot of species have become threatened, and I know a lot of people hate or fear sharks, but they're part of the ecosystem. Eat some farm-raised fish or something, leave the poor sharks in the ocean.

Can we see some sort of documentation on this?

Old 03-01-2008, 01:06 PM

469 posts, read 2,735,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Rhino View Post
Can we see some sort of documentation on this?
Endangered sharks species -- from thr Guardian.

Great White endangered -- NPR.

Shark finning endangers sharks -- BBC.

Australian sharks endangered -- The Australian.

Documentary about sharks endangered by illegal fishing -- Seattle Times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe