Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 11:29 AM

2,226 posts, read 5,106,766 times

Advertisements

Italian women are tough, they might seem brusque.
No wonder, they have to deal with Italian men.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2010, 12:16 PM

13,648 posts, read 20,767,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
After reading the thread about Spanish women, I thought I'd start one about Italian women, mainly because I will be moving there next year (Sicily to be exact). I have been to Italy and was impressed especially by what I saw in Rome and Milan, but I never really interacted with Italian women.

How would you describe them (in general)? What is the dating scene like over there for an American guy? I'll be going there from Japan where its relatively easy to date a cute Japanese girl, as a lot of them love American guys. Am I in for a culture shock?
I dated and was semi-engaged to an Italian national for 7 years. Spent a great deal of time over there. Long story. Someday I will write a book or screenplay.

Anyway, I was in the North, which has some cultural differences from the South- like most countries. As others have stated, the general rules to dating women apply.

Generally, Italian women are very shy, if not outright timid. Its still a very male dominated society in many ways. This often precludes the agressive moves (hitting up a girl on the street) favored by so many Americans and Australians. You gotta play it a bit cooler and slower.

The south and Sicily are a bit more socially conservative than the north. Sicilian guys are also tougher than their northern counterparts. No surprise that this is the region that gave us the forefathers of Tony Soprano, Sonny Corleone, and Fonzi. Thus, its still a place where you better watch out if you are hitting on someone's sister or daughter. Proceed with caution.

The family is the main unit in all of Italy. Dysfunctional or not, they all live together until the kids get married. Know this going in.

Although its fading, there is still some xenophobia going on there. A lot of Italians think of Americans or other foreigners by what they have seen in the movies, both bad and good. This means an Italian girl often suspects every American guy has the dating mores of Hugh Hefner or Charlie Sheen. The flip side of that is that you might also be perceived as exotic.

Italians are NOT big imbibers. They like wine with dinner. Irish pubs are popular and they will sit there and nurse one beer for hours. If you guzzle more than two pints, be prepared for stares and concerned looks.

Stay away from politics. Italian politics alternate between the absurd and the insane. The only thing they think more insane is American politics. They generally think McCarthy is still around, the CIA controls EVERYTHING, and America started WWII to sell more of the not-yet-invented iPad. Not worth going down that road without a jolly sense of humor.

All Italians, male or female, rich or poor, dress well. If you have been there, you know what I mean.

Anyway, no reason you cannot meet a nice girl. Just know its not like going on the prowl in New York, Berlin, or Tokyo. Good luck.

Old 01-05-2011, 03:23 AM

6,540 posts, read 12,032,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minniemouse View Post
Hello everyone!
This thread is very curious
I'm Italian, I'm a woman and..I live in Milan

what do you need to know about "italian women"?

have a good day
Hey minniemouse! Well, what I am curious about is what is the best way to meet an Italian woman, and what do they think of American guys in general? What are some tips to win the heart of an Italian woman? Of course it depends on the girl, and as someone else mentioned that the cultures of Northern and Southern Italy are different. From what I've seen, I actually prefer the Northern ones, especially in Milan where you live. I may spend some weekends up there. What are some good places to meet the local women for an American guy in his early 30's (I'm not really into clubs, but rather pubs or cafe style bars). You can PM me if you like . Graci!

And thank you all for your responses!

Old 01-05-2011, 03:39 AM

2,994 posts, read 3,764,488 times
Quote:
Hey minniemouse! Well, what I am curious about is what is the best way to meet an Italian woman, and what do they think of American guys in general? What are some tips to win the heart of an Italian woman? Of course it depends on the girl, and as someone else mentioned that the cultures of Northern and Southern Italy are different. From what I've seen, I actually prefer the Northern ones, especially in Milan where you live. I may spend some weekends up there. What are some good places to meet the local women for an American guy in his early 30's (I'm not really into clubs, but rather pubs or cafe style bars). You can PM me if you like . Graci!

Hi SEAandATL!
yes, with pleasure, I will replay to you by pm with my suggests

Here, I can confirm that the cultures of Northern and Southern Italy are very different . In this case, also the women's lifestyle is totally different.
In the North, we are much emancipate; the women are most "free"; I'm in the city of fashion and I can confirm you that we have a good look and we love the fashion!
Then, yes, we love and we want to have a family but in the North, the women wait (around) 35 years to have a child ; in the South, they have a child around 25.
We have a different manner to live! I prefer my culture as Nothen woman .

I love travelling a lot and in the North of Italy, the women travel more then Souther women.

hre, we are more "young" and vitality; in the South, it's total different. if you love "old syle of family", maybe it's good the South!
Other difference is that in the North, all women work and often, we stay in office a lot of hours.
In the South, the most of women, don't work but they prefer to stay at home to look after the child and the family.

Old 01-05-2011, 08:13 PM

2 posts, read 20,739 times
Quote:
After reading the thread about Spanish women, I thought I'd start one about Italian women, mainly because I will be moving there next year (Sicily to be exact). I have been to Italy and was impressed especially by what I saw in Rome and Milan, but I never really interacted with Italian women.

How would you describe them (in general)? What is the dating scene like over there for an American guy? I'll be going there from Japan where its relatively easy to date a cute Japanese girl, as a lot of them love American guys. Am I in for a culture shock?
Yeah Im Sicilian. think of them as any other white people. We are white ya know.

Old 01-05-2011, 08:17 PM

2 posts, read 20,739 times
Quote:

You want to find Italian women, go to the North in America and find White people with Italian/Sicilian ansestery.

Old 01-07-2011, 02:33 PM

64 posts, read 231,928 times
Quote:

Other difference is that in the North, all women work and often, we stay in office a lot of hours.
In the South, the most of women, don't work but they prefer to stay at home to look after the child and the family.

I was surprised to read this, so I have checked some sources. Apparently, there is not much difference between the south and the north for this criterion, excepted Emilia romagna (see p.36 of the pdf file) :

http://epp.eurostat.ec.europa.eu/cac...-08-001-EN.PDF

For the other stats, I did not check up, but it seems to me that in Italy, there is a lot of cliches between the "North" and the "South"...

Old 01-07-2011, 06:36 PM

174 posts, read 596,633 times
Just watch any film by Tinto Blass. This will answer all your questions about Italian women. All I can say is thank god for Tinto Blass and Italian babes.

Old 01-08-2011, 12:07 AM

2,994 posts, read 3,764,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pteranodon View Post
I was surprised to read this, so I have checked some sources. Apparently, there is not much difference between the south and the north for this criterion, excepted Emilia romagna (see p.36 of the pdf file) :

http://epp.eurostat.ec.europa.eu/cac...-08-001-EN.PDF

For the other stats, I did not check up, but it seems to me that in Italy, there is a lot of cliches between the "North" and the "South"...
Try to come here and then, you can give me your NEW comment.
The quality of life, the salary, the women that come to work..It's all different!
Let's try!

Old 01-08-2011, 08:53 AM

64 posts, read 231,928 times
Quote:
Try to come here and then, you can give me your NEW comment.
The quality of life, the salary, the women that come to work..It's all different!
Let's try!
I did not understand if it was ironic, but my post was about women employment. The official statistics do not show huge difference between northern and southern Italy. It is the same thing for other features (ex : the age when the young people leave the parent's home...). The difference between north and south seem to be rather economical than sociological, even if European way of life tends more and more to be harmonized.

Below : a study from Italian searchers (in French) shows that young Italians leave their home very late, as well in rich northern regions than in southern Italy.

http://www.strategie.gouv.fr/revue/IMG/pdf/article_CicchelliMerico2.pdf (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe