U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 06:42 PM

2,228 posts, read 2,602,844 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob702 View Post
They can't. Where did you get that from? TV? I don't know ANYONE who has a large independent house that is significantly larger than the houses my friends and family in Europe have. Pools are not a common sight anywhere north of Florida either and most Americans do not live there. Ever checked out the prices in California?
One of my (American) friends grew up in a 2 bedroom house with a family of 5. It is an "independent" house, but not large, and yes, they have a huge property with a forest and a creek even, but I am sure they would trade that for a larger house. I have been to plenty of other houses, too, and none of them was significantly better than the ones I know from Germany. On the contrary, usually the materials used to build the houses was rather bad. Size-wise it is usually pretty similar.

My parents' house in Germany has 5 bedrooms, a large kitchen, a large living room, two bathrooms, a huge basement, and a garden. It was around 150,000 Euros. I am sure a similar house in suburban Milwaukee would be similarly priced, if not more expensive. Perhaps houses are more expensive in Spain.
The rent for my first apartment in Milwaukee was WAY higher than anything that I ever paid in Europe.

-------

I live in Catalonia, Spain, For 150.000 € you can buy a parking space for your car. A house with 5 bedrooms, a large kitchen, a large living room, basement and garden would fetch here an average of 1.000.000€ in a very bad area. In my town it would cost more than 2.000.000€.

You must be talking about some derelict area in the former DDR.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2011, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Makes me wonder what suburban Americans feel when they visit Europe or South America for the first time and find themselves in the middle of a busy pedestrian zone, do they get panic attacks?

I have come to feel best when I am in a very old city or town dating back to the middle ages, with streets so close that cars don't fit in. The absence of cars makes me feel so much calmer somehow, the unnatural noise is missing and the constant fear of getting run over is gone. I have read of a little pilot town near Freiburg, Germany, where cars are banned completely. They said that residents' blood pressure has gone down automatically as people there only walk and ride bikes.
---

Neuling

Americans are used to those settings because they have malls and dowtowns.
As to medieval towns and old citys, I own a couple of apartments in the medieval area of Barcelona or Gothic Quarter, but I would never live there. Not pleasant, really. Those areas are good for young tourists (we rent those apartments illegally without declaring them to the IRS), but locals hate those places. In fact, you have no local middle or high classes in the area.

Old 11-16-2011, 08:52 PM
JL

6,382 posts, read 7,002,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manolón View Post
---

Neuling

Americans are used to those settings because they have malls and dowtowns.
As to medieval towns and old citys, I own a couple of apartments in the medieval area of Barcelona or Gothic Quarter, but I would never live there. Not pleasant, really. Those areas are good for young tourists (we rent those apartments illegally without declaring them to the IRS), but locals hate those places. In fact, you have no local middle or high classes in the area.
Wished i would've known that you owned an apartment in Gothic quarter. I would've rented one from you during my vacation stay a few weeks ago. . How much do you normally charge tourists for like 4 days?

Old 11-17-2011, 12:07 AM

836 posts, read 958,515 times
Quote:

Yeah, right. With that comment you just disqualified yourself from any further discussion. Believe what you want.

It is known that Spain had/has a property bubble, so that might explain the high prices out where you live and also you are in a very touristy area where many rich people retire.
You can't just apply Spain's rules to other counrties and say "it is like this or that in all of Europe because over here it is like that". I am not saying "My parents' house cost 150,000 Euros, my friend's house in Milwaukee was 250,000 and is smaller, so Europe is SOOOOOO cheap and everything you get in the US is substandard" either.

PS: no need to respond, Manolon, I am not going to discuss this with you any loinger. Just wanted to get it out there.

Old 11-17-2011, 12:17 AM

21,627 posts, read 23,830,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
ELnina ...
did you read that last comment about Rothenburg ?

If you like I can translate ...

Funny and weird at the same time !
Hahaha!! But true! I am just not sure why he addressed it to... women
Maybe he meant that men never ask??
When in doubt read: ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 11-17-2011, 12:32 AM

21,627 posts, read 23,830,029 times
Quote:
-------

I live in Catalonia, Spain, For 150.000 € you can buy a parking space for your car. A house with 5 bedrooms, a large kitchen, a large living room, basement and garden would fetch here an average of 1.000.000€ in a very bad area. In my town it would cost more than 2.000.000€.

It seems that you compare everything to Catalonia in Spain. But Europe does not revolve around Catalonia. It also seems that you are very unhappy there, and voice a lot of complaints about the housing situation and prices.
Europe is very diverse where housing can be very expensive or... the opposite. We are looking at it in a wide spectrum.
When in doubt read: ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 11-17-2011, 05:01 AM

281 posts, read 360,239 times
Not to mention that the 1-2 million minimum bull**** is just a plain lie.

Manolon, that house I posted previously was, according to you, in a very bad area but it was 200,000 euros. Care to elaborate?

Yeah I thought so.

Old 11-17-2011, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
Wished i would've known that you owned an apartment in Gothic quarter. I would've rented one from you during my vacation stay a few weeks ago. . How much do you normally charge tourists for like 4 days?
------

400 to 600€
Depends on season and number of people.
We are having problems with neighbours, and I generally don't rent to young people. They raise hell and make parties, and this section of the city has a very high density, many old people, etc.
The City Hall is hunting us down, and sometimes I just close them for a few weeks.
And returning to prices, I bought one apartment for 1 million pesetas (6.000€) 23 years ago, now 400.000€..(no elevator, no parking space, in a building built 120 years ago in a narrow street that still uses the Roman sewer system, quite smelly)...

Old 11-17-2011, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob702 View Post
Yeah, right. With that comment you just disqualified yourself from any further discussion. Believe what you want.

It is known that Spain had/has a property bubble, so that might explain the high prices out where you live and also you are in a very touristy area where many rich people retire.
You can't just apply Spain's rules to other counrties and say "it is like this or that in all of Europe because over here it is like that". I am not saying "My parents' house cost 150,000 Euros, my friend's house in Milwaukee was 250,000 and is smaller, so Europe is SOOOOOO cheap and everything you get in the US is substandard" either.

PS: no need to respond, Manolon, I am not going to discuss this with you any loinger. Just wanted to get it out there.

-----

The bubble burst a long time ago.
Spain is way cheaper than France, Italy and England.
Yeah, of course, I bet you can buy a small apartment for 150.000€ in the Black Sea, in Bulgaria.

Old 11-17-2011, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
It seems that you compare everything to Catalonia in Spain. But Europe does not revolve around Catalonia. It also seems that you are very unhappy there, and voice a lot of complaints about the housing situation and prices.
Europe is very diverse where housing can be very expensive or... the opposite. We are looking at it in a wide spectrum.
----

I'm not unhappy since I live in a house with a garden in a very privileged area, Sitges. I'm just part of the very small percentage of the population that can enjoy greenery, birds, trees in a place near a large capital.

I'm stating here, and according to my experience, that most of the European population (I know France, England and Italy) lives in substandard and overpriced housing.

I'm just saying that an American middle class family can own a nice house with garden near or relatively near a big city, and conmute to work from there, whereas NO MIDDLE CLASS FAMILY can do such a thing here (unless they live in Mondońedo, Lugo or any other remote place).

And I'm not mentioning the living conditions of people in large cities here, most live in old buildings with a substandard construction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe