Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2011, 10:14 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,731,689 times

Advertisements

Makes me wonder what suburban Americans feel when they visit Europe or South America for the first time and find themselves in the middle of a busy pedestrian zone, do they get panic attacks?

I have come to feel best when I am in a very old city or town dating back to the middle ages, with streets so close that cars don't fit in. The absence of cars makes me feel so much calmer somehow, the unnatural noise is missing and the constant fear of getting run over is gone. I have read of a little pilot town near Freiburg, Germany, where cars are banned completely. They said that residents' blood pressure has gone down automatically as people there only walk and ride bikes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2011, 10:18 AM

2,223 posts, read 5,485,018 times
Default Ok....

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Well if *he* just being sarcastic, then why do you repeat with your own words what *he* just said, that American houses for the most part are junkier then European ones ( in this case - German houses).
And if you'll keep on reading my posts diagonally, I'll change my handle specially for you, for something more familiar like say Honeydew_melon_87.
Now how does that sound?

Now point out where I said our homes are "junkier", and I will tell you how it sounds.

Old 11-14-2011, 11:00 AM

2,656 posts, read 511,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Makes me wonder what suburban Americans feel when they visit Europe or South America for the first time and find themselves in the middle of a busy pedestrian zone, do they get panic attacks?

I have come to feel best when I am in a very old city or town dating back to the middle ages, with streets so close that cars don't fit in. The absence of cars makes me feel so much calmer somehow, the unnatural noise is missing and the constant fear of getting run over is gone. I have read of a little pilot town near Freiburg, Germany, where cars are banned completely. They said that residents' blood pressure has gone down automatically as people there only walk and ride bikes.
Why would they need to go to Europe to see this when they can just take a trip to NYC? Last time I checked NYC was busier than anything in Europe.

Old 11-14-2011, 11:21 AM

1,222 posts, read 2,278,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colton821 View Post
This really isn't true. I grew up in Western New York where it was pretty much winter for 9 months of the year and we had a pool. My best friend also had one as did many other friends growing up. And we were straight middle class. We used to go pool hopping at night in the summer. We would go through neighborhoods and jump in everyone's pool since 70% if houses had them.
My bad, maybe I should have been more specific. The only region I am really familiar with is the (upper) Midwest, more precisely the Milwaukee area, the Cincinnati area and Chicagoland. Most people I know who live there, or in the suburbs, don#t have pools.

Old 11-14-2011, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caribman1787 View Post
Why would they need to go to Europe to see this when they can just take a trip to NYC? Last time I checked NYC was busier than anything in Europe.
Ah, right. Still, isn't NYC more about busy sidewalks rather than pedestrian zones? At least that is the impression I get when watching movies from there, I only see people hurrying on the sidewalks...

Old 11-14-2011, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob702 View Post
My bad, maybe I should have been more specific. The only region I am really familiar with is the (upper) Midwest, more precisely the Milwaukee area, the Cincinnati area and Chicagoland. Most people I know who live there, or in the suburbs, don#t have pools.
I was just checking a few suburbs of Buffalo, NY (I suppose that is Western New York), not many pools there, either. Actually, from the bird's eye perspective there seem to be more homes with pools in Cincinnati than in New York.

And the pools they do have seem more like those round, inflatable ones we used to have as children

buffalo ny - Google Maps

Old 11-14-2011, 12:43 PM

466 posts, read 982,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I was just checking a few suburbs of Buffalo, NY (I suppose that is Western New York), not many pools there, either. Actually, from the bird's eye perspective there seem to be more homes with pools in Cincinnati than in New York.

And the pools they do have seem more like those round, inflatable ones we used to have as children

buffalo ny - Google Maps
Rochester. But they're not in all neighborhoods. And what you linked isn't even a nice area in Buffalo. This is a better example:

webster, NY - Google Maps

And they certainly aren't inflatable pools, the above ground ones look like this:

http://www.poolpeopleusa.com/redesign/gallery/AboveGround/11.jpg (broken link)

Old 11-14-2011, 01:16 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,271,474 times
Quote:
Because Europe is tres cool? I absolutely enjoy it.
I don't care for NYC, so I don't travel there.

Culturally the US and Europe are quite different.

Old 11-14-2011, 01:37 PM

2,656 posts, read 511,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Because Europe is tres cool? I absolutely enjoy it.
I don't care for NYC, so I don't travel there.

Culturally the US and Europe are quite different.
And so is New York.

Old 11-14-2011, 01:46 PM

1,222 posts, read 2,278,193 times
Quote:
I wonder if you've traveled everywhere in Europe to judge that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe