Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 04:41 PM

990 posts, read 1,943,989 times

Advertisements

A little bit different, and not the typical European tourist traps

Lithuania - the 99 km wide coast, with Klaipeda, Nida and Palanga
Sweden - the southern provinces Scania and Blekinge, the island of Gotland, and Gothenburg
Denmark - the island of Bornholm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2013, 04:55 PM

1,523 posts, read 3,901,182 times
Iceland, Croatia, Czech Republic

Old 11-06-2013, 05:03 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manhattangirl View Post

I have never been in Ireland and I have barely seen Germany and England but I must disagree with you. Ireland speaks a different language that the entire population knows (even though they don't use it much) and they have the Celtic culture. England has a very diverse population with the benefits that come with that and they have great scenery and gorgeous little "Miss Marple" villages. Also the music from both countries is very different from the US- particularly Irish music.

Germany has Christmas markets and forest and traditional costumes and a great nightclub scene so I wouldn't exactly call it boring.
I agree with you - not to mention that Germany has THE ALPS, and some tragic and yet very interesting Nazi era history. Anyone who could call Berlin or Munich or the Alps or Dachau "boring" is someone that I truly can't relate to.

And I've traveled over much of the world including Europe and England, and Yorkshire England is one of the most beautiful places I've ever seen. And London is fabulous.

My three favorite European countries (and I'm including the UK in that bunch) are, in order - England, Germany, and the Czech Republic, with France and Belgium vying for fourth place neck to neck.

Old 11-06-2013, 07:32 PM

824 posts, read 3,603,256 times
Eastern european countries, Why would you like to visit paris, london or amsterdam when there are barely locals left in those cities? the culture is pretty much anything but representative of the whole countries.

Old 11-06-2013, 09:12 PM

990 posts, read 1,943,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler86 View Post
Eastern european countries, Why would you like to visit paris, london or amsterdam when there are barely locals left in those cities? the culture is pretty much anything but representative of the whole countries.
Agree. Was in Klaipeda, Lithuania in July this year, and going to Gdansk, Poland i December. Much nicer than western European capitals, and much cheaper to go to as well. I like that my country Sweden has great, close and very cheap ferry connections with Poland, Lithuania, Latvia and Estonia.

Old 11-07-2013, 07:38 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,585,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler86 View Post
Immigrant culture from the likes of India, Jamaica and Pakistan are so engrained in modern UK culture that it doesn't matter. You visit London for the sights, the smells, the cuisine (from all over the world), the museums, the architecture, the amazing parks and so on - you do not go there because you want a representation of the UK as a whole - if that's what you want, go outside of London - but chances are, if you end up in any decently-sized city, a very large percentage, of even close to a majority of the people will not be 'locals' but people from all over the world, who bring their culture with them and that in turn becomes part of British culture. Sorry if that bothers you.

Oh, and there is more to the UK, Netherlands etc than just London or Amsterdam. People need to widen their horizons.

Old 11-07-2013, 10:08 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Immigrant culture from the likes of India, Jamaica and Pakistan are so engrained in modern UK culture that it doesn't matter. You visit London for the sights, the smells, the cuisine (from all over the world), the museums, the architecture, the amazing parks and so on - you do not go there because you want a representation of the UK as a whole - if that's what you want, go outside of London - but chances are, if you end up in any decently-sized city, a very large percentage, of even close to a majority of the people will not be 'locals' but people from all over the world, who bring their culture with them and that in turn becomes part of British culture. Sorry if that bothers you.

Oh, and there is more to the UK, Netherlands etc than just London or Amsterdam. People need to widen their horizons.
You got that right.

I can't imagine visiting England and skipping London - the history alone is fascinating there. But I found "Old England" in the dales and moors and seaside towns of Yorkshire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe