U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 07:17 PM

25 posts, read 109,670 times

Advertisements

What exactly is the difference between the dialects? Is there major difference or is it just an accent like a Texan talking to a New Yorker? Or is it like British English vs. American English? I'm just curious. I REALLY want to learn French and once I do learn, France and Canada would be first on my list to visit and I'm just curious as to the differences...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2011, 07:46 PM

47,974 posts, read 45,435,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by star314 View Post
What exactly is the difference between the dialects? Is there major difference or is it just an accent like a Texan talking to a New Yorker? Or is it like British English vs. American English? I'm just curious. I REALLY want to learn French and once I do learn, France and Canada would be first on my list to visit and I'm just curious as to the differences...
It is very different.

I have some examples.

To say, "it is cold" in France French, it is "Il fait froid". In Quebec French, it is "Cette frette". To say "potato" in France French, it's "la pomme de terre". In Quebec it's "la patate".

French spoken in Quebec has roots in Classical French. French in France has changed since then.

Old 01-26-2011, 07:48 PM

14,253 posts, read 15,322,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by star314 View Post
Fairly different. As a fluent (not bi-lingual) French speaker, I find Québécois generally quite hard to follow.

Old 01-26-2011, 07:52 PM

1,752 posts, read 1,942,879 times
Quebecois is very close to the way French was spoken in 16th Century France.
Also, here's a fun tidbit....what some people would consider "swear words" are rooted in the Church in Quebecois French. Hence, said in times of duress: "Tabarnac!" (tabernacle) "Chrisse!" (Christ) "hostie!" (host), etc.
I find that pretty hilarious.

Old 01-26-2011, 08:16 PM

2,113 posts, read 2,323,309 times
According to my pen pal, Quebecois French has evolved so much (with added slang, lingo, different vocabulary etc) that it's practically its own language.

She didn't think highly of Quebecois French though.

Old 01-26-2011, 08:46 PM

513 posts, read 996,028 times
I'll pin up this question to this thread; are there any Canadians who can speak only French (not English at all or very poorly) ???

Old 01-26-2011, 08:47 PM

4,285 posts, read 14,420,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moskiter View Post
I'll pin up this question to this thread; are there any Canadians who can speak only French (not English at all or very poorly) ???

Thousands of them.

Old 01-27-2011, 03:31 AM

13,382 posts, read 40,906,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy_Jole View Post
According to my pen pal, Quebecois French has evolved so much (with added slang, lingo, different vocabulary etc) that it's practically its own language.

She didn't think highly of Quebecois French though.
My son (who lives in Paris) said that sometimes the French make fun of Quebecois French, and if they hear it, they either pretend to not understand it, or really do not comprehend. If they happen to be English speakers, they offer to speak English instead.

Old 01-27-2011, 03:51 AM

13,856 posts, read 22,953,196 times
I have noticed that. Some France-French speakers seem fairly down on other forms of French, but particularly Quebecois. I think I had one who indicated Haitian or Cajun French was "closer" in her opinion, but I'm not sure I believed that.

Old 01-27-2011, 07:38 AM

14,253 posts, read 15,322,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
I have noticed that. Some France-French speakers seem fairly down on other forms of French, but particularly Quebecois. I think I had one who indicated Haitian or Cajun French was "closer" in her opinion, but I'm not sure I believed that.
I learned French in Geneva and have a strange mix of the Geneva accent and my British/American one when I speak French. Its always easy to get a laugh out of the French French by laying on the Swiss accent a bit thick. The comedian Coluche once said that a poor person in Switzerland is one who has to wash his own Mercedes so I quite often ask my French friends if they are still washing their own cars .... in that Swiss accent of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or