U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Who do they "look like" to you?
Other Italians 88 47.57%
Greeks 61 32.97%
Spanish and/or Portuguese 41 22.16%
French 11 5.95%
Lebanese or Syrians 47 25.41%
North Africans 48 25.95%
Latin Americans 26 14.05%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 185. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 07:39 PM

570 posts, read 1,128,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelic_Avalon View Post
That is pretty much what I remember. Reffering to Egyptian Arabs not the Empire but I have no doubt that these people brought the Egyptian bloodline.

Moors has referred to several historic and modern populations of Berber, Black African andArab descent from Northern Africa (wiki) and I believe these were muslims and slaves that were in Sicily.

All these people migrated to Sicily. There were also Greeks and other Europeans living in the island at the sametime. Sicilians are the most diverse mix than any other Europeans that I can think of. Which is very interesting, especially because of its location and resources that Sicily offers
I think, if I remember right, DNA testing shows that the dominant blood-lines are Greek and Italic, with Arab, Nordic, and North African elements appearing in some parts of the island more than others. If nothing else, the vast majority of Sicilians are probably both part Greek and part mainland Italian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2011, 07:14 AM

577 posts, read 552,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virulentpeach View Post
I think, if I remember right, DNA testing shows that the dominant blood-lines are Greek and Italic, with Arab, Nordic, and North African elements appearing in some parts of the island more than others. If nothing else, the vast majority of Sicilians are probably both part Greek and part mainland Italian.
I believe Sicilians is mostly Greek, Roman and Phoenician, and Norman. The least is the North African blacks and berbers as some might disgree but very little down the line they still got some African LOL and I wouldnt deny it because I got somone in the family who Sicilian like my mother who has nappy hair just like the black folks but oddly she really pale with hazel eyes yet her hair is like my black friends and I mean real tight thick kinky afro curls and I never saw my mom with long hair but even if she did she would tried to straighten her hair and still really stiff and very thick like how black people have their hair all straight. LOL Believe me I get people that ask if my mom got black in her and I say I dont know maybe because of her Sicilian roots LMAO but those are very rare Sicilians. LOL

My mom hair looks exactly like this lady hair not as long is shorter but she did had it like this at one time in the 80s

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 03-24-2011 at 07:58 PM.. Reason: copyrighted image removed

Old 03-24-2011, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelic_Avalon View Post
I believe Sicilians is mostly Greek, Roman and Phoenician, and Norman. The least is the North African blacks and berbers as some might disgree but very little down the line they still got some African LOL and I wouldnt deny it because I got somone in the family who Sicilian like my mother who has nappy hair just like the black folks but oddly she really pale with hazel eyes yet her hair is like my black friends and I mean real tight thick kinky afro curls and I never saw my mom with long hair but even if she did she would tried to straighten her hair and still really stiff and very thick like how black people have their hair all straight. LOL Believe me I get people that ask if my mom got black in her and I say I dont know maybe because of her Sicilian roots LMAO but those are very rare Sicilians. LOL

My mom hair looks exactly like this lady hair not as long is shorter but she did had it like this at one time in the 80s
I have read that the Romans didn't really settle the island, and it wasn't until after Norman rule that mainland Italians settled the island in significant numbers (finding a mostly Greek, Arab, and Norman population there when they settled) in order to spread Catholicism and supplant Islam and the Greek Orthodox Church.

Something to remember is that the Romans didn't generally settle in large numbers in their colonies like the Greeks did.. they were more ones who culturally assimilated the populations of the people they took over. I'd be willing to bet the vast majority of Italic ancestry in Sicily is either pre-Greek (like from the Siculi) or when they moved to the island after Norman rule to spread Catholicism.

Old 03-24-2011, 05:48 PM

7,767 posts, read 7,526,929 times
I voted Lebanese or Syrians, based on a lot of Sicilians I've known or seen.

However, I have also known a few that were blue-eyed and less "ethnic-looking". And I can name one such Sicilian celebrity ~ Frank Sinatra.

Old 03-24-2011, 05:56 PM

959 posts, read 236,730 times
I am half Sicilian and half Russian Jew. My Armenian friends in Los Angeles say I could easily pass for one of them. So Armenian should have also been one of the options on this poll.

Old 03-24-2011, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Blood View Post
I am half Sicilian and half Russian Jew. My Armenian friends in Los Angeles say I could easily pass for one of them. So Armenian should have also been one of the options on this poll.
You can always choose whichever you deem the next closest thing

It's actually funny you bring that up because while no one has ever said I looked Armenian specifically, I am sometimes told I look like Kim Kardashian's brother Rob, and as we know their father was Armenian.

Old 03-25-2011, 04:28 AM

11,940 posts, read 13,023,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virulentpeach View Post
I don't know if they immigrated there in large numbers but most people in Puerto Rico with Italian surnames are of Corsican background. For some reason a lot of Corsicans went to Puerto Rico.
The Corsicans came to PR via Haiti - they fled Haiti when it became independent.

Old 03-25-2011, 05:14 AM

766 posts, read 473,045 times
arab

Old 03-25-2011, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
The Corsicans came to PR via Haiti - they fled Haiti when it became independent.
Interesting and I didn't know that, thank you.

Old 03-25-2011, 08:05 PM

Well I just wanted to say thank you to everyone for participating in this thread.. some thought provoking discussion and it confirmed what I suspected, that Sicilians can be mistaken for a wide variety of groups. The poll results reflect this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe