Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 01:16 AM

196 posts, read 655,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
The USA isn't racist, xenophobic or any other nonsense compared to the rest of the world and never has been. Slavery wasn't "racism", it was cheap labor, just like all of the many other "white" indentured servants.
Stopped reading after that.

If you think that slavery was ONLY about cheap labor and not an effort to destroy an entire race of people, then you need to pick up a history book.

What about the 100 million Africans who died during the slave trade?

If slavery/racism was just about "cheap labor", than why after slavery was there Jim Crow for another 100 years?

How about Blacks being considered on 2/3 human?

You do know that you couldn't rape a Black woman for years in this country, because they weren't considered human right?

You do know that Blacks couldn't even drink out of the same water fountains as Whites for years in this country?

Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
You and I aren't in the same US of A are we?
I know, this guy apparently has no idea who the KKK is or why MLK and Malcolm X are dead today or why wearing a hoodie still gets Black kids shot in this country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
He/she has a point. Slaves were cheap labor/indentured servants. In many other countries such minorities would've been exterminated.
You mean like the 100 million Africans who were "exterminated" during the slave trade?

You do know the death count from the slave trade makes the holocaust look like a "minor inconvenience" right?

You do know that there has been a 500 year genocide of African people all over the world that has killed hundreds of millions and colonized every African country, right?

I mean, seriously?

"Such minorities would have been exterminated"

Yeah, like the constant genocide of African people's worldwide since the 15th century.

How about that.

If slavery was about "cheap labor", the day it was over, Black people would have had EVERY right White people did and been able to live freely and happily anyway they wanted.

Did that happen?

No.

Why not?

If it was only about the labor, why not just let the HUMAN BEINGS live as fully integrated citizens of the society.

Why continue to this very day put them in ghettos and to design a justice system to disproportionately target them

Old 05-31-2012, 01:58 AM

355 posts, read 1,186,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonborn View Post
To those people, anywhere in Europe is the former Soviet Union. They just don't get it. Ignorance is bliss, I think,

Dragon

For many of us in the Mediterranean and in the formen Western Roman Empire, Sweden, Finland, Norway, Russia, etc, belong to "Hyperborea". As late as the XVth Century, all students from those remote regions lived in the "House of Hyperboreans" at the Sorbonne. Common people started to know a little about those countries when a Napoleon General knocked down a Swedish princess.

Old 05-31-2012, 09:44 AM

6,485 posts, read 12,475,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake County IN View Post

If you think that slavery was ONLY about cheap labor and not an effort to destroy an entire race of people, then you need to pick up a history book.

If slavery/racism was just about "cheap labor", than why after slavery was there Jim Crow for another 100 years?

You do know that you couldn't rape a Black woman for years in this country, because they weren't considered human right?

You do know that Blacks couldn't even drink out of the same water fountains as Whites for years in this country?

I know, this guy apparently has no idea who the KKK is or why MLK and Malcolm X are dead today or why wearing a hoodie still gets Black kids shot in this country.

You mean like the 100 million Africans who were "exterminated" during the slave trade?

You do know the death count from the slave trade makes the holocaust look like a "minor inconvenience" right?

You do know that there has been a 500 year genocide of African people all over the world that has killed hundreds of millions and colonized every African country, right?

I mean, seriously?

Yeah, like the constant genocide of African people's worldwide since the 15th century.

How about that.

If slavery was about "cheap labor", the day it was over, Black people would have had EVERY right White people did and been able to live freely and happily anyway they wanted.

Did that happen?

No.

Why not?

If it was only about the labor, why not just let the HUMAN BEINGS live as fully integrated citizens of the society.

Why continue to this very day put them in ghettos and to design a justice system to disproportionately target them
Relax. Nobody is suggesting that it's been all wine and roses for people of African descent in the U.S. Blacks have been used and abused in history, no doubt, and slavery is a stain on this country's history. But the U.S. hasn't been a part of some grand extermination effort. You can't even blame the U.S. for colonizing Africa, setting up the slave trade there or recent genocide. And the fact remains that the most prosperous people of African descent reside in the United States, despite all of the imperfections that exist here.

The Klan are a bunch of criminal idiots. And Malcolm X was killed by the NOI because he fell out of line.

Old 05-31-2012, 10:58 AM

9,846 posts, read 22,582,976 times
Quote:

I stopped reading after this inane inflated inaccurate statement.

Old 05-31-2012, 11:51 AM

21 posts, read 106,357 times
Quote:

I mean, seriously?

How about that.

Did that happen?

No.

Why not?

Well did you know that the White europeans bought the slaves from the Africans themselves? Even more Africans went to the Arab countries as slaves, so it's not just the Whites who were "racist".

I don't know what you mean by the last part, do you mean that black people don't have a free will or can move freely wherever they want in America? Nobody puts them in ghettos, they move there themselves, on free will.

And what do you mean with a justice system designed to disproportionaly target blacks? Do you mean that blacks are more likely to commit crimes? Well, that's a fact. But a crime is a crime, it doesn't matter what the colour of your skin is like, you still need to be punished.
By the way, did you know that black on white assaultery is 114 times larger than white on blacks? Now who's the real racist here?

Old 05-31-2012, 10:52 PM

492 posts, read 1,004,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
I stopped reading after this inane inflated inaccurate statement.
Don't. Keep reading, because everything else proves how obscenely stupid your friend's -and your- statements were. Slavery and everything that came with it was more than just "cheap labor." You do realize that TO THIS DAY the USA still grapples with race, from the President, to the Prison systems, to zoning laws, to 'white flight'...I can't even begin to explain to you the ripples that Slavery still emits in our country. Then again, considering how it's pretty widely available, and yet you STILL see it as just 'cheap labor,' neither of us has the time (or patience)!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonFatTony View Post
Well did you know that the White europeans bought the slaves from the Africans themselves? Even more Africans went to the Arab countries as slaves, so it's not just the Whites who were "racist".

I don't know what you mean by the last part, do you mean that black people don't have a free will or can move freely wherever they want in America? Nobody puts them in ghettos, they move there themselves, on free will.

And what do you mean with a justice system designed to disproportionaly target blacks? Do you mean that blacks are more likely to commit crimes? Well, that's a fact. But a crime is a crime, it doesn't matter what the colour of your skin is like, you still need to be punished.
By the way, did you know that black on white assaultery is 114 times larger than white on blacks? Now who's the real racist here?
I love it when people bring up the fact that Africans sold Africans. CLASSIC Red Herring move. Look, if you want to talk about the Africans selling Africans (which they still disgustingly do), we can open another thread on that. Pointing your finger and wailing, 'But, but they did it too!' doesn't diminish the fact that the first group pointing fingers is still doing something shameful.

The vast majority of people in prison are there for drug-related offenses due to this useless and counter-productive War on Drugs that has ripped The US, Colombia and every country in between them apart.

The black on white assault is disgusting and abhorrent, and these RACISTS should be dealt with to the full extent of the law. I could say how all this is linked to centuries of being marginalized, raped, killed, kidnapped, displaced, etc., but that's doing exactly what you did with the slavery issue of creating a red herring. All I'm gonna say is that it's awful that Americans are attacking other Americans based on something as stupid as skin color. Perhaps it shows how much farther we need to go as an American people.

Old 05-31-2012, 11:05 PM

492 posts, read 1,004,540 times
To the ACTUAL topic of the thread:

It consistently confuses me how difficult of a time Europeans have in accepting someone who is of foreign-descent. Because of this, the foreign group feels marginalized, tensions rise, and chaos happens (North Africans/Muslims in France, Indonesians in the Netherlands, Blacks in the UK, Turks in Germany, etc.).

If there's one thing I will say about the United States and a great many other countries in the New World, assimilation is far more easy and the foreigner is somewhat swallowed into the general culture of said New World Country.

Sweden has to find some way to better assimilate these people, because considering the fact that Sweden (and Europe as a whole) is a demographic time bomb, they'll need all those foreigner to pay for all the older, "actual" Swedes.

Portugal is probably one of the better countries I've seen of people (namely Cape Verdeans, Angolans, and Eastern Europeans) assimilating the best. I wonder what the difference is...

Old 06-01-2012, 02:07 AM

196 posts, read 655,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
Relax. Nobody is suggesting that it's been all wine and roses for people of African descent in the U.S. Blacks have been used and abused in history, no doubt, and slavery is a stain on this country's history. But the U.S. hasn't been a part of some grand extermination effort. You can't even blame the U.S. for colonizing Africa, setting up the slave trade there or recent genocide. And the fact remains that the most prosperous people of African descent reside in the United States, despite all of the imperfections that exist here.

The Klan are a bunch of criminal idiots. And Malcolm X was killed by the NOI because he fell out of line.
We've had presidents who were Klan members, you do know that right? Pretty good for "criminal idiots".

Gangs are "criminal idiots" because they don't have members in the White House, Senate, House, and police forces all over America. The Klan were more integrated into every part of society than any "criminal idiot" organization EVER could be

Malcolm X was killed because he was considered a thread by the FBI and CIA as well as the Nation of Islam. Just think of it like this. He was in CONSTANT surveillance by the government, yet the police were pulled ONLY from the event that he was killed at. There were always police at all of his speeches, EXCEPT his last one. Hmmmm.

Martin Luther King was considered the "Most Dangerous Negro In America"

And if you don't believe that America has been part of some grand genocide, then like I said, you haven't read history books.

Look up "Tuskegee Experiment".

Look up COINTELPRO and how they purposely targeted all the Black Civil Rights organizations.

Look up how J. Edgar Hoover specifically declared war against Black America. Are you kidding me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonFatTony View Post

First of all, you're tripping.

71.5 percent of all victims of racial bias attacks are BLACK people who were victims of WHITES. Check the FBI statistics

FBI — Hate Crimes Report

So, what a few Africans participated in the slave trade, and?

That's like saying that because a few Americans go to Afghanistan and join the Al Qaeda, that it somehow absolves the Taliban for 9/11.

Guess what?

You can always find traitors.

Look up Benedict Arnold.

The bottom line is, that Blacks were often times kidnapped, when they weren't directly sold, forced into slavery for hundreds of years, tortured, considered less than human beings legally, and to this day deal with a slanted system of justice in this country and all other Western countries, and a continent in Africa that has been throughly pillaged by colonization.

Now, if you're done defending the racist establishment, I'd like to get back to talking about Sweden.

Old 06-01-2012, 04:40 AM

355 posts, read 1,186,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DginnWonder View Post
To the ACTUAL topic of the thread:

It consistently confuses me how difficult of a time Europeans have in accepting someone who is of foreign-descent. Because of this, the foreign group feels marginalized, tensions rise, and chaos happens (North Africans/Muslims in France, Indonesians in the Netherlands, Blacks in the UK, Turks in Germany, etc.).

Europe is not a "country". A person of foreign-descent in Sweden or in the US is a person born outside Sweden or the US.

Those groups that you mention DO NOT accept Western Democratic Culture, consequently, there's a backlash against them. Muslims in the EEC do not have anything to do with muslims in the US.

Old 06-01-2012, 08:45 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,785,023 times
Quote:
I'd like to get back to talking about Sweden.
Oh yes sirree !!!! A lot of others would like that too !!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe