U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 06-26-2011, 12:28 PM
 
34 posts, read 44,423 times
Reputation: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Jonas View Post
Yes Malmö has a lot of Muslim, but you also have people who are from the middle east who are NOT Muslim.

This is the breakdown of immigrants to Sweden, according to Statistiska Centralbyran/Statistics Sweden:
1. Finland (172,218)
2. Former Yugoslavia (152,268)
3. Iraq (117,919)
4. Poland (67,518)
5. Iran (59,922)
6. Germany (47,803)
7. Denmark (46,002)
8. Norway (43,819)
9. Turkey (40,766)
10. Somalia (31,734)

One of the biggest ETHNIC groups is Assyrians/Syriacs. A Christian ethnic group that have traditionally lived all over Iraq, northeast Syria, northwest Iran, and the Southeastern Anatolia region of Turkey. You will find MANY Assyrians/Syriacs in Sweden. About 120,000 Assyrian/Syriacs live in Sweden today, and are settled in central and southern Sweden. The Assyrian people can trace their origins to the indigenous population of pre-Islamic and pre-Arab Mesopotamia. The first Assyrians/Syriacs that came to Sweden in 1967 hailed from Lebanon, later more came from Turkey and more recently from Iraq.

I am pointing this out because, I am sure that plenty of the folks you assumed were Muslims during your visit to Malmö, were in fact Christians of Assyrian decent. Not to say that there are NOT Muslims in Malmö.
Are there a lot of Egyptians in Sweden? I couldn't find any demographic info. but I remember last time I was in Sweden (2009) and driving on the E18 or E20 on my way to Norway from Stockholm I stopped to grab lunch at a pizza place operated by Egyptians who had a few pieces of Christian imagery scattered about. I'm assuming most of however many Egyptians there are in Sweden are Copts who fled Egypt to escape persecution?

Interestingly enough, a few months ago I read in Norway the fast growing religion is Orthodox Christianity and not Islam, despite the massive amount of immigrants from predominantly Muslim countries (a situation similar to Sweden's).

Quote:
Originally Posted by stolpioni View Post
The National Day was yesterday. It went just as I thought, or even worse..
The largest TV-network changed the lyrics in the national anthem and removed everything with Sweden, and changed it so it could fit the whole world. For an example, instead of singing in the chorus "I want to live, I want to die in the North", they sung "I want to live, I want to live on earth".
Also, the biggest newspaper Aftonbladet put a giant picture of a Mosque on their front page and photoshopped a Swedish flag on it, and said "Today we don't celebrate Sweden, today we celebrate multiculture".
What a bummer What is so wrong with celebrating Sweden ONE DAY A YEAR? It's a lovely country and I've enjoyed my stays there (and I hope to go back again soon!).There are plenty of other days to celebrate other cultures. Designate another day for some country's cultural celebration, or a week or a month for a bunch of them.

Scandinavians in Scandinavia need to stop being so self-conscious when comes to talking openly about immigration issues, especially the Swedes it seems like. Repressing these views and opinions will only make matter worse in the long-run. I know being reserved comes with being Scandinavian, but I cannot fathom why so many are afraid to be labeled as racists or something when they're being concerned about issues which affect the majority of the population of their own country. Is this something you see with only the older generations of Swedes or are the younger Swedes like this as well?


A bit off topic, but a question for the Swedes - Is is true people from other parts of Sweden go to Skåne on bus tours and dig holes in the ground (obviously as a joke and not seriously trying to detach Skåne from Sweden) because they want to give it back to Denmark or feel it's really not a part of Sweden?

Last edited by andersb; 06-26-2011 at 12:36 PM..

 
Old 06-28-2011, 01:07 AM
 
1,352 posts, read 1,143,414 times
Reputation: 1093
I think Sweden taking in vast amounts of Muslim immigrants is a stupid decision and will lead only to disastrous results for their country. Islam and the extreme liberalism that Swedes practice are at complete odds with each other. If you are going to import another ethnic group, make sure it's one that you can assimilate and at least get along with. Stupid Sweden.
 
Old 06-28-2011, 01:10 AM
 
1,352 posts, read 1,143,414 times
Reputation: 1093
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlockUnderMyKilt View Post
All one needs to know about Swedes: they're racists. They don't hand out houses with as many rooms as mommy says.


YouTube - ‪Somalians Protesting Abuse From Swedish Welfare‬‏
Amazing. STUPID SWEDEN. STUPID SWEDES.
 
Old 06-28-2011, 12:01 PM
 
Location: Anchorage, Alaska (most of the time)
1,162 posts, read 2,241,548 times
Reputation: 1665
Quote:
Originally Posted by andersb View Post
A bit off topic, but a question for the Swedes - Is is true people from other parts of Sweden go to Skåne on bus tours and dig holes in the ground (obviously as a joke and not seriously trying to detach Skåne from Sweden) because they want to give it back to Denmark or feel it's really not a part of Sweden?
It's true. Thought about joining there for a while It has nothing to do with the immigration problems down there however. It's simply about the fact that the Skånska accent is just so utterly and blatently ugly! (Sorry if anyone's from there, but y'all know it's true ) Skåne used to be part of Denmark for a long time and so the local dialect/accent is very influenced by Danish.


Regarding your question about whether it's a generation thing - I'd say no. Without giving away my true number, I'll admit to being in the younger generation. While we are not afraid to speak our mind in the right situation at the right time for the right reasons, most of us do keep up the highly Swedish trait in question.
But the discussion isn't dead or kept underground in Sweden, even if it might appear as if it is in this thread. The debate is ongoing, though not in a way that'd be considered normal here in the US or many other countries. That's not how we deal with things.
And that's important to keep in mind here - debates are done differently in Sweden and the US, and what's considered normal/the right way of doing it in one country is considered a horrible way in the other.
I'm not saying it couldn't be better in Sweden regarding the debate over immigration and assimilation, but I do not in any way think we should deal with it the way it is being dealt with in the US. Absolutely not. Even if that appearantly makes me part of the problem according to some ...
 
Old 06-30-2011, 01:05 PM
 
34 posts, read 44,423 times
Reputation: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweden View Post
It's true. Thought about joining there for a while It has nothing to do with the immigration problems down there however.
Oh, I know it has nothing to do with immigration but rather due to the differences created by the fact that Skåne was once part of Denmark. I just wanted to hear from the mouth of a Swede whether or not the bus trips were actually true.

Quote:
It's simply about the fact that the Skånska accent is just so utterly and blatently ugly! (Sorry if anyone's from there, but y'all know it's true ) Skåne used to be part of Denmark for a long time and so the local dialect/accent is very influenced by Danish.
Ugly accent? Sounds like Danish to me! I remember being abroad once (though not in Scandinavia) and overhearing a group of people talking. I could tell they were Scandinavian but it sounded like terrible and almost incomprehensible Norwegian or Swedish, automatically I thought to myself, "They're Danes!" (no offense to any Danes here)



I've actually become interested in Skåne after reading some of Mankell's Kurt Wallander novels and especially after watching the BBC's television adaptation and hope to visit next time I'm in Norway. The camera work makes the landscape look absolutely stunning.

I'd imagine the dialect/accent on Bornholm is relatively similar to Skånska?

Last edited by andersb; 06-30-2011 at 01:14 PM..
 
Old 06-30-2011, 01:45 PM
 
Location: Sweden
12,402 posts, read 38,063,648 times
Reputation: 8251
I just made a google search and the scanian dialects are actually called eastern danish for real.

You can also join the Facebook group: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=5969783652 (broken link) or sign a petition: http://www.namnlista.se/227 to get rid of them.

There are others who want to ship Skåne to Germany and connect it at the german border.

Last edited by BigSwede; 06-30-2011 at 01:53 PM..
 
Old 06-30-2011, 02:20 PM
 
Location: New York City
482 posts, read 370,940 times
Reputation: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by moskiter View Post
I did some research and found out that Swedes are to become a minorty in their own country in less than 30 years from now. I feel very sad about it. Please correct me if I am wrong.
The more "peaceful" Muslims live in Sweden the quickly Sweden is going to be transformed to a pure Muslim society. Sweden has no one smallest chance to stop Islam and survive as a Christian Western country because the birth rates of Muslims are five times higher as those of native people. An average Muslim Family in Sweden has at least four or six children ( 90 % are unemployment and get benefits and welfare of any kind), against that Swedes are either childless or have only one, maximal two children.
After Muslims gain majority in Sweden, probably in thirty years, it will be not ethnic Swedes anymore.

We can only "thank" Liberals and Leftists for killing of Sweden!


YouTube - ‪Muslim Riots in Malmö, Sweden (English)‬‏


YouTube - ‪Islam: 270 Million Bodies in 1400 Years - What Every Kafir Must Know!‬‏

Here are Quotes from Quran every Infidel must read!

Quotes from the Qur'an
 
Old 06-30-2011, 02:36 PM
 
Location: Sweden
12,402 posts, read 38,063,648 times
Reputation: 8251
No muslim family where I live have four to six children and there is quite a few of them here.
We have no riots either.
 
Old 07-01-2011, 02:24 AM
 
Location: White Rock BC
88 posts, read 180,959 times
Reputation: 122
I can't stand it when you say something that a Muslim doesn't approve of so they turn around and call you "racist" hoping you will shut up.
Since when is Islam a race?............it is a belief system. The Muslims of Indonesia, Nigeria, Egypt, and Pakistan are no more a race than the Catholics of Spain, Newfoundland, Philipinnes, or Poland are.
Let's face it, when most refer to "problems" with immigration it is almost always about Muslims, who constantly come to new countries then ***** about the place as soon as they arrive calling them unbeleivers and refusing to assimilate into the general society. It doesn't matter where you go, where you have Muslims {unlike Buddaits, Jews, Athiets, Christains, Hindus etc} you have trouble.
 
Old 07-01-2011, 03:03 AM
 
2,539 posts, read 2,108,432 times
Reputation: 1130
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
I can't stand it when you say something that a Muslim doesn't approve of so they turn around and call you "racist" hoping you will shut up.
Since when is Islam a race?............it is a belief system. The Muslims of Indonesia, Nigeria, Egypt, and Pakistan are no more a race than the Catholics of Spain, Newfoundland, Philipinnes, or Poland are.
Let's face it, when most refer to "problems" with immigration it is almost always about Muslims, who constantly come to new countries then ***** about the place as soon as they arrive calling them unbeleivers and refusing to assimilate into the general society. It doesn't matter where you go, where you have Muslims {unlike Buddaits, Jews, Athiets, Christains, Hindus etc} you have trouble.
Well there are even ethnic swedes that are muslim. Not sure with the numbers but there an estimated 5000 converts to Islam in Sweden.

A leap of faith - The Local

In addition hate crimes have reduced in the past year, however Islamophobic crimes increased by 40%
http://www.thelocal.se/34664/20110630/

Last edited by other99; 07-01-2011 at 03:17 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top