Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 08:55 PM

433 posts, read 2,356,498 times

Advertisements

I spent a lot of time in Stockholm and was amazed at how little many of the Swedes knew about any large city (besides NYC and LA) in North America. They had never heard of Minneapolis, Seattle, Vancouver, Dallas etc. and yet they spoke outstanding English. I was really surprised.

It would be like an American or Canadian having never heard of Rome, Prague, Madrid, Amsterdam, Berlin etc.

It made me realize that Americans don't hold all the cards when it comes to poor geography lessons.

Old 08-17-2007, 12:00 AM

13,608 posts, read 5,387,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellinghamite View Post
I'm pleased to hear that. I saw these stereotypes reinforced regularly in the pages of Der Spiegel when I lived in Germany a few years ago. They're so common that I wonder if Europeans even care what America is really like.
We do care, what America is like. I'm from Germany and this is the only forum I'm in. Because I want to get to know more people especially from out of Europe. It's always interesting to get to know more about different nations. Some of my former schoolmates went to the US (different states) and went to school there. One even studied in Denver. It's just great what they always tell us. It's so different. Europe is very straight with everything it seems so I enjoy the easy going and relaxed way of the Americans I know. So - don't change!

Old 08-17-2007, 02:22 AM

396 posts, read 1,276,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Velvet View Post
-Most people own fully-automatic assault rifles, and regularly shoot each other

-If you get into a car wreck and don't have medical insurance, you are left outside to die

-All food in the US is genetically modified and tasteless. The only beer is Budweiser. The only wine comes from boxes. The only chocolate is Hershey's waxy crap.

-The average American gets 2 days of vacation per year, including weekends, and is satisfied with this arrangement because Bush told them that any other arrangement would be communism. And since Americans adore Bush to no end, they obey what he says.

-Americans don't have the attention span for soccer

-All the states in between the coasts are populated almost entirely of fundamentalist christians who believe in the 2nd coming.
WTF? Only idiots think these things. Anyone with half a brain knows that none of these are true (except maybe the soccer one; soccer is boring).

Old 08-17-2007, 02:38 AM

396 posts, read 1,276,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Bigotry is alive and well. A "good American" cannot be a muslim, Mexican, homosexual, liberal, atheist, peace activist, environmentalist, and advocate for affordable healthcare. The presence of diversity does not mean it is accepted. America is the epitome of a conformist nation..march along in lock step and don't question anything. And condemn (commies, anti-American, etc.) all those who don't.
I don't know how you could live in America (which I see that you do) and possibly think this.

Quote:
What other nation on earth can boast of more fatal shootings per year than America?
Probably a lot of Latin American and African countries (but for an industrialized western country, yeah, it has pretty much the highest violent crime rate).

Quote:
Many Americans think that Europe is a terrible place with wrong priorities.
This is news to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Only if wrong priorities constitute dying populations, double digit unemployment, rampant statism, pervasive bigotry and a level of sheer ignorance that is appalling.

No, those are the aforementioned Euro tourists who think that Miami and Vegas are hop, skip and jump away from each other.
Seems you're generalizing Europe as much as you accuse others of generalizing America.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marodi View Post
That isnt a misconception. Unfortunately it's the truth.
It's as true in America as it is in Europe. Bigotry reigns everywhere if it reigns in the United States, too. It's about as bigoted as any other Western country (which, compared to most 3rd-world countries, isn't much).

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Another popular misconception from European friends and family is that Hollywood and Beverly Hills are full of wealthy, famous people. When they come to visit and we take them to Hollywood Blvd., they quickly realize how sorely mistaken they were.
I believe this is a popular misconception among most Americans, too.

In fact, I thought they were too until you just said this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
You know, friend, I'm originally from Europe where geography is actually being studied. Most Europeans will name at least half of the US states. Why do I bother even argue with you...
I highly doubt this. Some, but certainly not most.

Geography is studied in the U.S., it just doesn't seem that anyone cares. Our education system has a knack for making people not care about things.

Old 08-17-2007, 09:27 AM

20 posts, read 89,244 times
Default Interesting Topic

This is a funny topic! I've encountered so many strange conceptions of what America is like, and what the American people are like in my travels overseas. It is human nature to stereotype groups of people. The following example is absolutely true, I kid you not, I swear that this is true! I was in rural Jamaica, and I encountered a man who thought that all Americans smelled bad. He was actually surprised to meet me, and realize that I didn't smell bad! I found out the reason why he thought that all Americans smelled bad, was because on American sitcoms you never see anyone taking a bath or a shower! Many people in other countries get their conceptions of America from Hollywood! Many Foreigners, who have never been to America, seem to think that American life is similar to what they see in American movies and television shows. Of course, nothing could be farther from the truth!

Also, I take a bit of offense at Europeans accusing all Americans of not knowing geography. Most of the Americans I know can point out Europe and Iraq on a map. Now granted, I'm sure that there are some stupid Americans who can't locate Europe on a map, but most Americans that I know can locate Europe on a map. On the other hand, I've met quite a few Europeans who have no concept of the vast distances between cities in America. Also, not all American own guns! I only have a few friends who own guns. Despite the stereotype of Kentucky being a place with a bunch of toothless people driving pick-up trucks with a gun rack in the back. Three of my gun owning friends are in law enforcement, two are avid hunters, and one collects antique guns that you would never fire.

Finally, as a southerner born and raised in Virginia, I'm amazed how the British and Australians call all Americans "Yankees." They don't realize that many people in the southern US find that term rather offensive. Personally as a Virginian, I get really annoyed being called a Yankee by Brits and Aussies. In the US, only northerners particularly from the northeast US are called Yankees. It's an insult to call a southerner a Yankee!

Last edited by FrenchAmerican0721; 08-17-2007 at 10:50 AM..

Old 08-17-2007, 11:31 AM

1,226 posts, read 3,645,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingsnkali View Post
I spent a lot of time in Stockholm and was amazed at how little many of the Swedes knew about any large city (besides NYC and LA) in North America. They had never heard of Minneapolis, Seattle, Vancouver, Dallas etc. and yet they spoke outstanding English. I was really surprised.

It would be like an American or Canadian having never heard of Rome, Prague, Madrid, Amsterdam, Berlin etc.
It made me realize that Americans don't hold all the cards when it comes to poor geography lessons.
No, that would be like an American not knowing about Newcastle, Kiruna, Tampere, Bergen etc. You listed CAPITALS, not normal, regular cities. And we ARE NOT one country, and therefore, us not knowing about some American cities would only be strange if you did not know about many Swedish cities.(These listed above are not Swedish cities only, though)

No, most of us do not know much about the larger American cities, but then, how much is much? And what does the average American know about British cities- they must know a whole lot, "since they can talk English fluently". We learn English in school as a subject on it's own. Knowing about American cities does not come with it. That's why we have TV

I have lived in Sweden for over 18 years and I have consequently met A LOT of people, and I can say that I have NEVER met a single person who believes that Canada is a part of the US. That it's spelled with a C I have encountered (It's spelled Kanada in Swedish) but nothing else. And the other "misconceptions" listed... No, never heard of them either.
And you most certainly can't base any conceptions of Swedes (or any other people) based solely on how people are in Stockholm (or in any capital/major city). If you would, not a single Swede outside of the capital would agree that they were like that.
Europeans are GOOD at geography- we are being taught geography in school for years. Before listing all the things we've supposedly gotten wrong, please list what you know so you can prove that you are any better.
This goes for everyone and everythng.

Old 08-17-2007, 12:13 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,351,543 times
Actually budweiser is popular in Ireland I know. What about the rest of europe? Is it sold there too?

It is the big beer brand there right up there with Heineken. Most drank is not guiness stout as most people would suspect. I can't remember where I read this...

Actually Budweiser is watery stuff... I don't drink it. I like Sam Adams for a big commercial brewery beer.

Old 08-17-2007, 01:08 PM

2,916 posts, read 11,078,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweden View Post
No, that would be like an American not knowing about Newcastle, Kiruna, Tampere, Bergen etc. You listed CAPITALS, not normal, regular cities. And we ARE NOT one country, and therefore, us not knowing about some American cities would only be strange if you did not know about many Swedish cities.(These listed above are not Swedish cities only, though)

No, most of us do not know much about the larger American cities, but then, how much is much? And what does the average American know about British cities- they must know a whole lot, "since they can talk English fluently". We learn English in school as a subject on it's own. Knowing about American cities does not come with it. That's why we have TV

I have lived in Sweden for over 18 years and I have consequently met A LOT of people, and I can say that I have NEVER met a single person who believes that Canada is a part of the US. That it's spelled with a C I have encountered (It's spelled Kanada in Swedish) but nothing else. And the other "misconceptions" listed... No, never heard of them either.
And you most certainly can't base any conceptions of Swedes (or any other people) based solely on how people are in Stockholm (or in any capital/major city). If you would, not a single Swede outside of the capital would agree that they were like that.
Europeans are GOOD at geography- we are being taught geography in school for years. Before listing all the things we've supposedly gotten wrong, please list what you know so you can prove that you are any better.
This goes for everyone and everythng.
I like all of that, Sweden. Maybe this thread needs to be turned on its head: Common American Misconceptions of Europe.

Old 08-17-2007, 01:47 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,636,388 times
Quote:
You listed CAPITALS, not normal, regular cities.
A city like Dallas has over 6 million people in its metro area. It is more populous than Madrid.

Old 08-17-2007, 01:54 PM

575 posts, read 3,132,519 times
A common misconception I found people to have about Americans were that we only speak english(not always the case), and more common was that they thought all americans sound the same (as far as accents go). A person from the north east will not sound the same as someone from Kentucky or Georgia. They were surprised at the speed I spoke at and pronunciation of words. They thought itd be much slower.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe