Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 10:47 PM

1,207 posts, read 2,423,626 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
One misperception is that the US is 'the world's biggest polluter.'

Not anymore! China overtook that title in 2006, and is now well in the lead.

Emissions in the US actually DECLINED slightly in 2006, which is not a bad accomplishment for a growing country.
You aren't speaking of overall pollution though, right? (as I just am not going to look up the stats right now) Because I'd be very surprised to hear if, all pollution totalled, we'd be out-numbered by anyone.

I am considering garbage & other waste - not just air pollution.

Old 08-28-2007, 11:04 PM

2,787 posts, read 11,500,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Velvet View Post
-If you get into a car wreck and don't have medical insurance, you are left outside to die
This is wrong. By US law, a patient must be treated.

Quote:
-All food in the US is genetically modified and tasteless. The only beer is Budweiser. The only wine comes from boxes. The only chocolate is Hershey's waxy crap.
BBQ steak (Midwest), chicken wings (Buffalo, NY), beef on weck (Buffalo, NY) pizza (NYC and Chicago), cajun (Louisiana), etc. are all tasteless?

Old 08-29-2007, 11:20 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,431,396 times
^^^methinks FutureCop may have overlooked the mis-conceptions part....

Old 08-29-2007, 01:38 PM

2,787 posts, read 11,500,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
^^^methinks FutureCop may have overlooked the mis-conceptions part....
I know. I'm just stating why they aren't true.

Old 10-16-2007, 02:53 PM

10 posts, read 95,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t6393a View Post
But you will find that they let their kids drink beer and wine bcause it's "culture". I live in USA and I know alot of people who hate fast food including me. And i wonder what people in EU are getting in the media? They say they're getting well informed but do they have anything to campare with?
They are getting news. And for comparison? Cultural diversity is there, in Europe. And they learn about every country, they travel and they experience. More then we do from US.

Old 10-16-2007, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
No joke friend.

I lived over there and have also traveled around the entire continent. Every European nation is full of people who think New York and Seattle are but a few hours away. They cannot distinguish between Washington state and Washington, DC. They think Canada is part of the US and that Hawaii is a different nation.

What was really funny was during the Cold War, the lot of them would invariably lecture on how "they were close to the USSR". It killed me to point out that the US and Russia are but 3 miles away at their closest point (its called Alaska).

Don't get me wrong. I love Europe and would gladly import some of their ideas over here. But the sheer ignorance of the populace (not all of course) can be quite disturbing at times.
Probably an average American would be in trouble if asked to say the distance between Glasgow and let's say Oslo. Maybe wouldn't even know it's in two different countries. As to distance? At least they know it is in the same country.)

Old 10-16-2007, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
A city like Dallas has over 6 million people in its metro area. It is more populous than Madrid.
It's still not US capital city.

Old 10-16-2007, 03:09 PM

13,648 posts, read 20,777,671 times
Quote:
Probably an average American would be in trouble if asked to say the distance between Glasgow and let's say Oslo. Maybe wouldn't even know it's in two different countries. As to distance? At least they know it is in the same country
Scotland (UK) and Norway. Distance? I do not know offhand except that a flight over the North Sea would probably not require too much time.

But you see, therein lies the difference. Americans don't know and don't care. They do not think about you lot very much, save for those of us with an interest. And they will say so. Europeans on the other hand, don't know either but pretend that they do. And that just ends up being embarrasing.

Old 10-16-2007, 03:34 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by european68 View Post
They are getting news. And for comparison? Cultural diversity is there, in Europe. And they learn about every country, they travel and they experience. More then we do from US.

Don't you think that when a Texan travels to Florida, they are also experiencing a different cultural perspective? Americans may not get to travel extensively in Europe, but they do travel about the different states and in Canada and Mexico. I've heard people from New England complain that they couldn't understand the people in New Orleans because of the accent, and I've heard similar complaints from people in Minnesota returning from Miami. I do think there is a perception around the world of much greater homogeneity in the United States than actually exists.

DC

Old 10-16-2007, 10:30 PM

2,210 posts, read 7,026,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Don't you think that when a Texan travels to Florida, they are also experiencing a different cultural perspective? Americans may not get to travel extensively in Europe, but they do travel about the different states and in Canada and Mexico. I've heard people from New England complain that they couldn't understand the people in New Orleans because of the accent, and I've heard similar complaints from people in Minnesota returning from Miami. I do think there is a perception around the world of much greater homogeneity in the United States than actually exists.

DC
I think it is becoming more homogeous all the time. When we first moved here we took lots of road trips to different states looking for local "flavor" = Southern hospitality and barbecue, Virginia ham etc. What we got was the same highways, the same fast food joints and "family" restaurants and the same hotels and motel. It was just depressing. And so sad. Sometimes I wonder if Americans appreciate the diversity they should have within their borders and other times I wonder if the mobility of modern society is erasing those quirks and differences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe