Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 03:31 AM

1,348 posts, read 2,845,310 times

Advertisements

The ones in worst shape right now, Greece, Spain, Portugal, have not been major players for centuries.

I think the foremost European great power that is in steep decline is the United Kingdom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2011, 01:26 PM

7 posts, read 9,300 times
The whole European Union is going down, apart from Germany, a little bit France. The rest of them are just lazy countries with complex of former empires living in a luxury they cannot afford.

Old 08-01-2011, 07:52 AM

5,806 posts, read 11,822,135 times
Default that's exactly qhat I think

Quote:
Originally Posted by EUROPE0100 View Post
The whole European Union is going down, apart from Germany, a little bit France. The rest of them are just lazy countries with complex of former empires living in a luxury they cannot afford.
...save the Scandinavian countries which have a good economy, small countries like Luxemburg and surprisingly successful Poland.

Old 08-01-2011, 10:25 AM

1,165 posts, read 1,963,690 times
The Netherlands are also doing well.

Old 08-01-2011, 10:29 AM

2,226 posts, read 5,087,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondrood View Post
That's odd. I've been to Spain numerous times, both in the north and the south and to my eyes, honestly, Catalunya looked like the wealthier part. But then again, I haven't lived in Spain, just went there on vacations .

----------

I'm not saying "wealthier".
Madrid, Catalonia and the Basque countries are the wealthiest communities.
I was commenting on the Quality of Life.

Old 08-02-2011, 04:31 PM

10,111 posts, read 15,775,145 times
I think Great Britain has declined significantly, their cities are overrun with illegal immigrants, the welfare state seems to be in danger of falling apart. Radical Muslims run rampant and preach hatred and violence from their mosques and its all protected by British law. You kind of wonder what happened to the once proud British Empire. If Obamamism and his kind of liberalism isn't kept in check I fear America will be heading down the same road. In Europe, Greece also seems to be a failing country, I don't know about Ireland or Spain. I've always thought of Italy as a very advanced country, except for their court system with Amanda Knox, which I probably would have expected in a Third World country not in a Western European nation like Italy.

Old 08-02-2011, 05:58 PM

142 posts, read 441,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I think Great Britain has declined significantly, their cities are overrun with illegal immigrants, the welfare state seems to be in danger of falling apart. Radical Muslims run rampant and preach hatred and violence from their mosques and its all protected by British law. You kind of wonder what happened to the once proud British Empire. If Obamamism and his kind of liberalism isn't kept in check I fear America will be heading down the same road. In Europe, Greece also seems to be a failing country, I don't know about Ireland or Spain. I've always thought of Italy as a very advanced country, except for their court system with Amanda Knox, which I probably would have expected in a Third World country not in a Western European nation like Italy.
Honestly, this forum is becoming a joke. Britain is far from perfect and certainly has it's problems but your post is filled with sweeping statements. Have you ever even been to Britain? How does British law allow for the preaching of hatred and violence? Illegal immigration is an issue for virtually all Western nations and Britain's no exception but i would hardly say that our cities are overrun with illegal immigrants - i doubt most head outside of the M25, to be honest.

Old 08-03-2011, 03:52 AM

Spain has no crisis.
The problem here is that we have had very irresposable politicians that squandered billions in stupid things.
We also have a non-sustainable for of government (autonomias) that will have to be changed, and the Euro prevents Spain to lower currency to attracts tourists and investments as it was done in the past.
Can't compare Spain with Greece or Portugal.

Old 08-03-2011, 01:14 PM

241 posts, read 740,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manolón View Post
The crisis will be very good for Spain. When the crisis is over in two or three years, the contry will be leaner, with a new political organization and devoid of leftist (populist) leaders for generations to come.

Spain is not in crisis, there's no crisis here. The unemployment rate is false, does not take into account submerged economy and pre-retired are counted as unemployed.

In Spain the crisis is totally exogenous, toxic debt did not affect Spain and the Spanish financial system is sound, but the fear provoked by American crisis burst the "brick" bubble, credit dried and domestic spending fell, provoking unemployment.

It's not about productivity, but about trust. Spanish exports are growing everyday, and about 20 percent of GNP comes from investments in America. Tourism keeps growing and real estate prices is going up for the first time in years.
Wait until Spain crashes like we've seen with every country that turns hot for a few years after implementing major economic liberalization/privatization and austerity. Yeah, a lazy party, left or right or whatever, can ruin a country as they grow complacent with power or corrupt. Social welfare is not the heart of the problem. You have overworked countries with very little safety net in very bad shape right now, look at the US.

Old 08-04-2011, 05:05 AM

Not the problem in Spain. Liberalization and privatization were carried out here 30 years ago. Problem here is a unsustainable govermental structure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe