U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2011, 11:35 AM

253 posts, read 497,387 times

Advertisements

Hej,

I am very interested in getting a residence permit in Sweden after I graduate. However I really want to learn Swedish before I do so. I visited Stockholm about 9 years ago and loved it! I only spoke English which didn't seem to be a problem but I felt horrible not knowing how to speak a nations language. However I quickly learned Finns det någon här som talar engelska! I have been using free Swedish learning websites online, but I would like something a little more advanced. I was wondering if anyone new of a professional Swedish language learning program?

Also, there is a law that bothers me quite a bit. It is the rape law that has been given world wide attention due to the Assange ordeal. This law bothers me quite a bit. Then again, I am from the States and am viewing it from my own culture and how horribly we would handle it. My main question regarding this law would be is it often taken advantage of?

Tack, adjö
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2011, 01:41 PM

9,995 posts, read 11,679,485 times
Under the sun,

I learned Swedish about 20 years ago as an exchange student in Sweden. Learning Swedish is, of course, laudable, if you decide to reside their especially. It is a great language, but unfortunately one of the least useful. Rarely will you meet a Swede who does not speak English, and it is their international language of business. I had a Swedish girlfriend for three years, and she refused to speak Swedish with me, even though I was quite good at it, because her English was immeasurably better. I know that there are many great Swedish courses in Sweden, but I have less knowledge of options in the states. I am delighted when Americans want to learn another language, but as I said, Swedish is not high on the list in practical terms.

In any case, you might try contacting the Swedish Embassy. Alternatively, you might do some web research and see if there are universities with Scandinavian studies departments that might provide Swedish training.

Old 06-19-2011, 07:17 PM

296 posts, read 670,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by underthesun7 View Post
Hej,

I am very interested in getting a residence permit in Sweden after I graduate. However I really want to learn Swedish before I do so. I visited Stockholm about 9 years ago and loved it! I only spoke English which didn't seem to be a problem but I felt horrible not knowing how to speak a nations language. However I quickly learned Finns det någon här som talar engelska! I have been using free Swedish learning websites online, but I would like something a little more advanced. I was wondering if anyone new of a professional Swedish language learning program?

Also, there is a law that bothers me quite a bit. It is the rape law that has been given world wide attention due to the Assange ordeal. This law bothers me quite a bit. Then again, I am from the States and am viewing it from my own culture and how horribly we would handle it. My main question regarding this law would be is it often taken advantage of?

Tack, adjö

It can only help you to learn a language such as Swedish, which is both beautiful and fun. I learned it twenty years ago, and still like to try to practice it when possible.

As to people, the Swedes are wonderful people, and I think the world of them. If you move to Sweden it would be a great experience.

The only con for me in regards to Sweden is that it is a pretty left-wing country, which would be a plus for many of the folks on city-data. Swedes, like a lot of European countries, have a way at looking at social issues that some folks will find not to their liking, which leads into your concerns about Assange.

My advice: ignore those worries, and just go there as a nice person; the Swedes will judge you on your character, and by that measure Sweden is one of th best places for one to experience the world.

Old 06-19-2011, 07:22 PM

253 posts, read 497,387 times
Thank you both for your answers!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or