U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 07:34 AM

5 posts, read 13,638 times

Advertisements

Hi!
I am from Ukraine! What are You know about Ukraine and what are You think about Ukraine and it`s citizen?

P.S.
Sorry for my English

Old 07-01-2011, 05:18 PM

2,544 posts, read 4,441,469 times
What I know about Ukraine is that a lot of Ukrainians have immigrated to Brazil in the first half of the 20th century, and today there are more than 500,000 (half a million) Brazilians of Ukrainian descent, most living in the southern state of Paraná.

And I also know that Brazil and Ukraine are partners in space research, and our countries jointly created the binational company Alcantara Cyclone Space, to launch sattelites using Ukrainian rockets from the Alcantara Lauch Center in Northern Brazil.

Long live Brazil-Ukraine friendship!

Old 07-01-2011, 06:00 PM

4,454 posts, read 5,489,177 times
Ukraine is an former Soviet nation. Its an large country for european standards. Most of the people first language is Ukrainian followed by Russian. I dont know that much of Ukraine and Ukrainians.

Old 07-01-2011, 06:43 PM

1,315 posts, read 1,950,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyEn View Post
Hi!
I am from Ukraine! What are You know about Ukraine and what are You think about Ukraine and it`s citizen?

P.S.
Sorry for my English
The Ukrainians that I have met have been very nice people. There are obvious cultural differences between English speaking Westerners and Ukrainians, but the Ukrainians whose acquaintance I have made have been both kind and loyal.

Old 07-02-2011, 11:33 AM

3,281 posts, read 4,604,065 times
100 years ago, many Ukrainians also came to the prairie provinces of Canada. Ukraine and the American prairie region are both famous for growing Wheat (the British call it "Corn"). Later on, several million Ukrainians starved, due to Joseph Stalin's disastrous, forced collectivization of farms during the 1930s Great Depression. http://www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holodomor

Unfortunately, because of this Communist-caused tragedy, many Ukrainians later welcomed the Nazi German invaders who they hoped would free them from Soviet communism.

I know that Ukrainians now are DIVIDED culturally and politically between their pro-Russian eastern region (which includes coal mining areas, and has more Russian influence), and their pro-European western region which wants greater ties to the European Union (in fact before WW2, the present furthest western region of Ukraine was part of Poland, and still has Roman Catholic influence). The Ukrainian presidential election a couple of years ago (during which the western faction's candidate was actually poisoned by the rival party), showed this regional divide.

Ukraine's large capital city "KIEV", is in the middle of the country, and unfortunately near the nuclear accident site of Chernobyl. The "Crimea" southern and scenic warm resort region of Ukraine, has many Russian emigre's living there, who want the Crimea region to join Russia. Sochi (famous beach) and Yalta (1945 conference site) are in the Crimea region, which was also the site of the "Crimean War" in 1850.

Odessa is a port city in Ukraine which was the source of much Jewish immigration to the USA.

Last edited by slowlane3; 07-02-2011 at 11:54 AM..

Old 07-02-2011, 12:20 PM

314 posts, read 734,252 times
Have some good friends from Ukraine.
They all remind me of russians, which they claim to have much in common with (which is true).
Drinks a lot of vodka, wear old-school black leather-jackets and like to show their "riches" to other people like wearing very thick gold-chains, clocks that everyone can see.

In other words, typical former soviet-union people.

Old 07-02-2011, 12:25 PM

13,823 posts, read 12,612,215 times
Quote:
The "Crimea" southern and scenic warm resort region of Ukraine, has many Russian emigre's living there, who want the Crimea region to join Russia
You probably mean to re-join Russia, since Crimea has been given as a gift to Ukraine by Mr. Khrushchev in 1954. It used to be part of Russia ( that's why Russian Black Sea fleet has to *lease* now its base in Sevastopol as I recall.)
This gift has been made in commemoration of re-unification of Ukraine and Russia (300 years Anniversary to be precise) - the events that you can read about here.

Treaty of Pereyaslav - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"In the long run, the consequences for Ukraine were pivotal. Polish colonization and Polonization of the upper class soon became replaced by a systematic process of Russification, culminating in the Ems Ukaz of 1876, which restricted the printing of books in Ukrainian language. Further consequences included the disbandment of the Zaporizhian Host and reinstating serfdom in Ukraine.
For Russia, the treaty eventually led to the acquisition of Ukraine, providing a justification for the ambitious title of Russian tsars and emperors, The Ruler of All Rus’. Russia, being at that time the only part of the former Kievan Rus' which was not occupied by a foreign power, considered itself as legitimate successor and reunificator of former Rus' lands.
For Poland, the treaty provided one of the early signs of its gradual decline and eventual demise by the end of the 18th century."

I know it became fashionable lately to portray Ukraine as a country that doesn't have much to do with Russia, other than "subjugation" probably, but history attests otherwise.

Old 07-03-2011, 01:36 PM

668 posts, read 798,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyEn View Post
Hi!

P.S.
Sorry for my English
1. Ukraine will became an EU - Candidate, probably in thirty years.
2. More free as Russia.
3. Nice girls!

Old 07-03-2011, 11:24 PM

1,173 posts, read 1,616,625 times
Hmm, just going to give you my knowledge of the Ukraine through mental association. For me, Ukraine is:

- Shakhtar Donetsk
- Andriy Shevchencko
- Beautiful women that want to marry western men (or that's what the internet wants you to believe at least)
- The grain warehouse
- Kiev
- Odessa
- Euro 2012
- Division between the eastern Russian-speaking part and the western Ukrainian-speaking part.

Old 07-04-2011, 12:50 AM

5 posts, read 13,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondrood View Post
Hmm, just going to give you my knowledge of the Ukraine through mental association. For me, Ukraine is:

- Shakhtar Donetsk
- Andriy Shevchencko
- Beautiful women that want to marry western men (or that's what the internet wants you to believe at least)
- The grain warehouse
- Kiev
- Odessa
- Euro 2012
- Division between the eastern Russian-speaking part and the western Ukrainian-speaking part.
- Dinamo Kiev (I am from Kiev);
- Our favorite sport is football (soccer);

About vodka, we don`t drink a lot of it, Russian is much more. Those Germans, they drink much more beer, even though their country is smaller than ours.
In our country a diverse nature. We have mountains (Carpathians), there are two seas. There is a forest (woodland), there is steppe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe